Sam Bradford, Redskin

Beerball

Too much time on my hands...

Sam Bradford is a member of the Cherokee Nation. Will that have any influence on whether the Redskins pick him at #4?

I guess you presume the Cowboys have no interest in Bradford because of the hostility between Cowboys and Indians? :D

Too much time on my hands...

Sam Bradford is a member of the Cherokee Nation. Will that have any influence on whether the Redskins pick him at #4?

I guess that would be a good enough reason to keep there disrespectful name and logo.

I guess that would be a good enough reason to keep there disrespectful name and logo.

LOL. I don't understand why a sports franchise insists on using a derogatory name for their team. It's just dumb ass. Like the world would fall apart if they changed their name. Just goes to show that power, money buys you a lot of position.

C

LOL. I don't understand why a sports franchise insists on using a derogatory name for their team. It's just dumb ass. Like the world would fall apart if they changed their name. Just goes to show that power, money buys you a lot of position.

C

tradition.

Washington Warriors sounds pretty good. Keep the logo.

WOW :D ..because the Redskins are owned and operated by a Native American tribe??? way too much time on your hands...

Think about the public relations nightmare, especially if Bradford comes out against the name. It isn't as trivial as you may think it is.

I guess you presume the Cowboys have no interest in Bradford because of the hostility between Cowboys and Indians? :D

The Cowboys will blitz the crap out of him.

LOL. I don't understand why a sports franchise insists on using a derogatory name for their team.

Maybe they don't feel like spending millions of dollars just to pacify some whining slaves to political correctness.

The Cowboys will blitz the crap out of him.

LOL

Maybe they don't feel like spending millions of dollars just to pacify some whining slaves to political correctness.

I don't know how it's "spending millions of dollars" and a "whining slave to political correctness" to give people who have been here longer than anybody else their due respect.

Change your letterhead. Change the emblem on your stadium. And whatever new shirts carry the new logo and name (Like the Warriors by the way - also appropriate that DC is the seat of govt. And respects both the Native Americans and the Army). It's not like you're gonna go back and reimburse fans for stuff they've already bought.

If anything it's a revenue booster. Just a complete myth because some people think it's "tradition." Baloney!

ç

I don't know how it's "spending millions of dollars" and a "whining slave to political correctness" to give people who have been here longer than anybody else their due respect.

Change your letterhead. Change the emblem on your stadium. And whatever new shirts carry the new logo and name (Like the Warriors by the way - also appropriate that DC is the seat of govt. And respects both the Native Americans and the Army). It's not like you're gonna go back and reimburse fans for stuff they've already bought.

If anything it's a revenue booster. Just a complete myth because some people think it's "tradition." Baloney!

It's not about tradition, it's about the right of the Redskins to utilize whatever name they want. Will you feel the same way when animal rights activists decide that the "Buffalo Bills" is offensive for glorifying a wanton animal killer? Is the NY Jets offensive to people who had relatives die in plane crashes? How about the NY Giants being offensive to midgets?

Changing the nickname of a football team and 50 cents might get a Native American person a cup of coffee. If people are that worried about the fate of those who have been here the longest, they should do something that will actually benefit those people, like volunteering time and money to Native American causes.

It's not about tradition, it's about the right of the Redskins to utilized whatever name they want. Will you feel the same way when animal rights activists decide that the "Buffalo Bills" is offensive for glorifying a wanton animal killer? Is the NY Jets offensive to people who had relatives die in plane crashes? How about the NY Giants being offensive to midgets?

Changing the nickname of a football team and 50 cents might get a Native American person a cup of coffee. If people are that worried about the fate of those who have been here the longest, they should do something that will actually benefit those people, like volunteering time and money to Native American causes.

Amen. Remember, its much more important to get "offended" by something trivial and go after the "bad guys" than it is to actually do something worthwhile that matters.

I said on here last week about him looking like an American Indian. Guess I was right :D

think he's 1/2.

My take on all that- simple solution- let Indians vote on it. if majority is offended, change the name. but wouldn't surprise me if many didn't really give a crap.

think he's 1/2.

My take on all that- simple solution- let Indians vote on it. if majority is offended, change the name. but wouldn't surprise me if many didn't really give a crap.

There were actually civil actions. Thrown out on a technicality of "waiting too long" PTO found in favor of Native Americans. Thrown out on a technicality of "waiting too long." WTH? They've asked the Supreme Court to look at the case:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/15/...in5313396.shtml

As for comparing this situation with the Buffalo Bills name, it simply isn't the same thing. The name doesn't offend a race of people. It's a hypothetical. And when and if it does come up, we can address it. To pull out all these ridiculous what if scenarios, is simply a cop out. And if it did for some reason offend a group of people for a reason that is cogent and intelligent, then why not change it?

As for giving money and volunteering, that is absolutely a great thing to do. But it has to be in sync with giving them their due respect. Giving cash and "helping" them whilst simultaneously calling a team a name that is used to denigrate them is just disingenuous.

C

Just pulled this up on Google. Apparently the Supreme Court won't even hear the argument. Nice.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2009/...02s07-usju.html

there needs to be more than 7 people involved in this suit.

The term "redskins" is now, and always has been, a derogatory and offensive term, according to a friend-of-the-court brief filed by the National Congress of American Indians and other major native American tribes and groups.

so maybe the National Congress of American Indians should weight into this, rather than just 7 individuals.

If anyone's interested, this is happening at state level here in Colorado...

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_14243392

A state lawmaker wants high schools with American Indian mascots to get approval to continue using them from a state board.

Maybe the Redskins could take a page out of this HS's book:

Arapahoe High School in Littleton kept its team name but 17 years ago developed a relationship with the Arapaho Nation on the Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming.

In addition to the redesigned logo, the school gym in 1995 was renamed in honor of an Arapaho elder, according to information on the school's website.

The students and the tribe annually participate in a ceremony renewing their relationship.

"It's a very positive thing," Williams said.

and this is downright funny (on UNC's part):

At Eaton High School, home of the Reds, also known as the Fightin' Reds, the mascot features an Indian with a misshapen nose, eagle feather and loincloth.

The name made national news in 2002 when a multiracial intramural team at the University of Northern Colorado lampooned it. The UNC crew called its team the Fightin' Whities, which featured a caricature of a middle-aged white guy with the phrase "Everthang's gonna be all white!"