Inner City Kid Given Oppurtunity to Escape Ghetto

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...Good kids to a bad school, a fruitless, depriving venture.

Bad kid to good school, an unmitigated disaster.

Because a few good kids couldn't rise the tide in the bad school, bad kids shouldn't be given the privilege of succeeding in a good school?

I mean, I'm sure the boosted transport expenses costs communities hundreds of non-budgeted dollars, but aside from that...?

BAD-

–adjective

1.not good in any manner or degree.

2.having a wicked or evil character; morally reprehensible: There is no such thing as a bad boy.

3.of poor or inferior quality; defective; deficient: a bad diamond; a bad spark plug.

4.inadequate or below standard; not satisfactory for use: bad heating; Living conditions in some areas are very bad.

Perhaps if you had said 'poor' or "minority" kids your accusation of my limited vocabulary would have been justified

Do you know what bad means?

I read another article that said that Lang and others didn't fight back because school rules state that retaliation is punishable at the same level as an instigator. I'm surprised that a bunch of wrestlers didn't take care of Byers but we don't know the actual setting in which this ocurred.

No doubt the school has a 'zero tolerance' policy to protect students. :nana:

No doubt the school has a 'zero tolerance' policy to protect students. :nana:

See I don't understand that at all. In my school, if you were trying to stop yourself from being harmed, you didn't get in trouble.

I read another article that said that Lang and others didn't fight back because school rules state that retaliation is punishable at the same level as an instigator. I'm surprised that a bunch of wrestlers didn't take care of Byers but we don't know the actual setting in which this ocurred.

I call bull **** on that. It just sounds good for the people who love to crow about "pussification of America."

No kid just stands there and lets himself get the crap kicked out of him for fear of punishment--even if the punishment is real. When you have a fist coming at your face, the last thing you're thinnking about is a trip to the Principal for defending yourself.

Maybe those big classes are probably part of the reason for that generation being such an utter cluster!@#$ of selfishness and irresponsibility.

Nope. That would be the douche baggery of the liberal campaign to put "self esteem" above "personal responsibility".

Congrats on that win, morons.

Nope. That would be the douche baggery of the liberal campaign to put "self esteem" above "personal responsibility".

Congrats on that win, morons.

Everybody plays, everybody wins. Thought it was stupid before I had a child. Drives me batschit looney now that I do have one.

"Hey, I have an idea. To prepare our children for the real world, let's start them off early by letting them think that no one loses."

Fuggin' idiots.

Everybody plays, everybody wins. Thought it was stupid before I had a child. Drives me batschit looney now that I do have one.

"Hey, I have an idea. To prepare our children for the real world, let's start them off early by letting them think that no one loses."

Fuggin' idiots.

If I had a kid now I wouldn't let them within a mile of a public school. It's pretty much the equivalent of feeding them paint chips and dip as a daily snack.

If I had a kid now I wouldn't let them within a mile of a public school. It's pretty much the equivalent of feeding them paint chips and dip as a daily snack.

We've spent the past couple of weeks interviewing a few of the local private schools for kindergarten. The public schools in my area are, relatively speaking, very highly ranked, but the state budget cuts are killer right now. It kills me to have to spend $7-8K a year when I've already paid into the system, but I just can't stomach the idea of letting the public system manage his education. It's unfortunate that the education unions have this country by the nutsack because I would LOVE to see a voucher system implemented.

We've spent the past couple of weeks interviewing a few of the local private schools for kindergarten. The public schools in my area are, relatively speaking, very highly ranked, but the state budget cuts are killer right now. It kills me to have to spend $7-8K a year when I've already paid into the system, but I just can't stomach the idea of letting the public system manage his education. It's unfortunate that the education unions have this country by the nutsack because I would LOVE to see a voucher system implemented.

7K would be the bargain Catholic schools in our area. The better schools are 15K for Kindergarten. Our concern when we picked one of those high-priced joints was making sure the peer group wasn't a bunch of future entitle BMW-heads. Somehow, we got lucky and found what could best be called a poor 15K/year school. Definitely Quaker-crunchy types but a much better vibe than the stick in the ass uber-rich conservative alternatives where we worried about an awful peer group.

My daughter's school (Germantown Friends School in Philadelphia) has the best (or interchangeable with 2 other schools) college placements in the area. Lots of Ivies and other top schools. Oddly, they have no real grades until 5th grade. Kids get marked right or wrong and receive critiques on writing assignments but no actual A-F until they are older. I suspect the school can do this because they interview the parents beforehand and even ask kids who aren't making the cut to leave. So as little kids, they develop a peer group of smart kids who just learn to like learning. In 3 years, my daughter's teachers have had 20, 24, and 25 years teaching experience at the school respectively.

That obviously doesn't work in the nightmare public system. Im with Darin: My wife and I have talked about it many times. We would sell every possession we own and withdraw everything from our 401K, and sell out house to keep my daughter in this school before even setting foot in public schools.

7K would be the bargain Catholic schools in our area. The better schools are 15K for Kindergarten. Our concern when we picked one of those high-priced joints was making sure the peer group wasn't a bunch of future entitle BMW-heads. Somehow, we got lucky and found what could best be called a poor 15K/year school. Definitely Quaker-crunchy types but a much better vibe than the stick in the ass uber-rich conservative alternatives where we worried about an awful peer group.

Interesting. Most of the private schools in our area fall into the $7-8K range for kindergarten. Granted, we could look in neighboring cities, but we love the community we're in, and I personally prefer him attending locally. The interesting thing about our community is that, in spite of being in Orange County, it's not your typical Orange County community. It's a small area, and yes, okay, we drive BMWs, but the few "entitle BMW-heads" stand out like a sore thumb. Most of those nuts live in Laguna Niguel, Newport Beach areas.

We don't really have a lot of "Catholic" schools here, but rather "Christian." Despite being raised in a Catholic house and going through the whole Holy Communion, Confirmation, etc. rituals, I'm not especially religious, but my wife is pretty committed to her faith, and I've had no problem giving consideration to some of the private Christian schools here. They've certainly been impressive.

+1. We learned really quickly that geography doesn't improve outcomes. Instead we'll pay $5k a year for the next 16 years to keep her in a school that actually educates.

Interesting. Most of the private schools in our area fall into the $7-8K range for kindergarten. Granted, we could look in neighboring cities, but we love the community we're in, and I personally prefer him attending locally. The interesting thing about our community is that, in spite of being in Orange County, it's not your typical Orange County community. It's a small area, and yes, okay, we drive BMWs, but the few "entitle BMW-heads" stand out like a sore thumb. Most of those nuts live in Laguna Niguel, Newport Beach areas.

We don't really have a lot of "Catholic" schools here, but rather "Christian." Despite being raised in a Catholic house and going through the whole Holy Communion, Confirmation, etc. rituals, I'm not especially religious, but my wife is pretty committed to her faith, and I've had no problem giving consideration to some of the private Christian schools here. They've certainly been impressive.

My daughter attends Christian school. She gets subjects like history and Bible study that she wouldn't get in public school as well as music, art and drama. Simply put, she's getting a well-rounded edcuation in a classroom setting that has 10 students in her class. We have better communication with the teacher (she attends our church), and we get regular updates from the administrators. Also, we are able to help support the school on a regular basis, and are far more involved than we would have been in the public schools. I'm with John Adams. I will mortgage my own future to ensure my little girl gets the education she needs to succeed.