Inner City Kid Given Oppurtunity to Escape Ghetto

I asked: what if you didn't live near a big city and didn't have access to good private schools?

You answered: I used to live in a remote area, I moved so that wouldn't be the case.

What's so hard to figure out? If you don't have access to something you want, you have a few choices. Among them is the ability to choose not to have it or choose to go get it from a place that does have it. The fact that you think it's a "No, schit, Sherlock" answer says more about your question than it does about the answer.

Actually, those teachers probably sit in the 'rubber room' for the next 3 years at full pay and accruing full pension (that you are paying for -- thanks!) while the union does everything possible to delay the 'administrative hearing'. Cause you know, no one should ever be terminated from a job until they have had the equivalent of a trial.

Holy mother of all crap. It's like NY and Calfornia can't work hard enough to prove how poorly governed they are. Can't help but wonder what the common thread is between these two states' governing styles.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, those teachers probably sit in the 'rubber room' for the next 3 years at full pay and accruing full pension (that you are paying for -- thanks!) while the union does everything possible to delay the 'administrative hearing'. Cause you know, no one should ever be terminated from a job until they have had the equivalent of a trial.

The rubber room story on This American Life blew my mind.

What's so hard to figure out? If you don't have access to something you want, you have a few choices. Among them is the ability to choose not to have it or choose to go get it from a place that does have it. The fact that you think it's a "No, schit, Sherlock" answer says more about your question than it does about the answer.

The guy who answers a hypothetical question with "that would never happen" is lame.

The guy who answers a hypothetical question with "that would never happen" is lame.

See, this is what I was talking about in my original response. You ask a question. In spite of my better judgement, I gave you an answer based on my experience. You are now bouncing all over the place in what was easily predicted as your desire to "take the discussion off in 37 different directions." If nothing else, you have become ridiculously predictable.

I never said "that would never happen," though I can see how you would infer it that way because of your never-ending effort to lead the conversation down another one of your rabbit holes. In fact, my answer actually addressed the issue because I did grow up in an area with absolutely no options for private schooling. We had one school. Literally. One school, for K-12. That's where you went. You literally had no other option without moving to another area. You asked what I would you do if I had no options in my area. I answered, "I would move." You respond with "May I mommy dog face to the banana patch."

I'm sorry I'm not chasing you down the rabbit hole, but at the very least I hope to better trust my own judgement and try to avoid answering any more of your amazing "hypothetical" questions.

Yeah, but those people were crazy. You know keep what you earn, take responsibility for your actions and other crazy stuff like that.

I think he was referring to their faith.

You know, anyone who believes a literal interpretation of the Bible is a "wacko."

I think he was referring to their faith.

You know, anyone who believes a literal interpretation of the Bible is a "wacko."

I think he was more specifically referring to those that buy "science textbooks" for their kids that teach creationism (much more specifically, young-earth creationism).

I think he was more specifically referring to those that buy "science textbooks" for their kids that teach creationism (much more specifically, young-earth creationism).

Which is their prerogative as parents who are home-schooling.

If it's within the bounds of state educational law, then there should be no issue.

It shouldn't be within the bounds of state educational law. The states shouldn't be sanctioning ANY religious point of view, particularly from an educational perspective.