Inner City Kid Given Oppurtunity to Escape Ghetto

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up your nose with a rubber hose.

Perhaps once you'll actually have a discussion rather than resorting to...insults, I guess?

You asked a question. Aside from the qualifier of it being a stupid question (I think we can all agree that the framing of the question was, in fact, stupid), I gave you an answer. If you were unable to see the discussion in that, there is little I can do to help you. You asked, I answered, you respond with "Perhap once you'll actually have a discussion..." At that point, you need to understand that I'm not insulting you when I make a Vinny Barbarino comment. I'm just making an honest observation. You, Big Cat, are as dumb as a freaking brick. Not an insult. Just truth.

If you're insulted by that, perhaps you may want to look internally as to why that may be.

You asked a question. Aside from the qualifier of it being a stupid question (I think we can all agree that the framing of the question was, in fact, stupid), I gave you an answer. If you were unable to see the discussion in that, there is little I can do to help you. You asked, I answered, you respond with "Perhap once you'll actually have a discussion..." At that point, you need to understand that I'm not insulting you when I make a Vinny Barbarino comment. I'm just making an honest observation. You, Big Cat, are as dumb as a freaking brick. Not an insult. Just truth.

If you're insulted by that, perhaps you may want to look internally as to why that may be.

Well, I suppose perceived reality is a form of reality, but I do find it incredible how consistently you make reality your own.

I asked: what if you didn't live near a big city and didn't have access to good private schools?

You answered: I used to live in a remote area, I moved so that wouldn't be the case.

Your response belongs in the "No !@#$ing ****" bin. I !@#$ing get that you live in an area where superior private schools are an option, and that your living there was no coincidence. But for all your endless railing against public schools, I'd like hear your POV, assuming, based on where you live, you didn't have that option.

And yet the early peer groups and desire to learn matter a hell of a lot. My neighbor sent his kid to the local supposedly very good (avg teacher pay 80K/year...decent college placements) public school through grade 6. He was a B student and did all his work. As college started lurking in the background, he and his parents decided to send him to a really good local private school. Kid went to the top local private school for 2 years and was a disaster. The parents cared but the kid had a toxic peer group of slackers left over from his public school days. They mocked him constantly for all his homework and he failed out. Less likely to find that in a top private school where the peer group actually cares about the academia. And yes, easy to blame his attitude on the parents but be honest: Once you pass a certain age...10-14 perhaps, parental influence means nil compared to peers. So I exercise my influence with the teachers on my side in grades K-5 or whatever, and as the peer influence starts to take over, I trust that all the peers she's been set up to be around help be a good guide. Will it work? Who the !@#$ knows? But I feel I have more influence on the process in a private school that I got to select from a menu of other schools than a public school with randomly selected kids, parents, teachers...and government programs.

The top Philly schools are all the same price. There are about 20 of them in the area, not counting the boarding schools. Now ask me: Could I afford 2 such tuitions? Ugh, who knows. But I have one child so it's easier.

As to college, I see little value in the middle tier schools. If you don't get into an Ivy-ish school and the network of academia and contacts that gets you (which is worth a lot...not necessarily to become a successful millionaire but just to help you do what you want, be it a concert pianist to NASA engineer), you're way better off at a local state school where you can save a lot of money and be exposed to great teachers. If you're already a good student, you can get a ton out of a good state school and if you're already a slacker, you'll continue to be that. The middle tier schools like a Davidson that cost as much as Princeton (50K/year) but have nowhere near the academic chops are an utter waste of money.

I feel fortunate to be in a suburban Chicago area with very good public schools. We're cranking out a lot of great students who are able to attend very good universities along with some great athletes as well. I don't like every aspect of the schoools, but feel that each of my 3 kids are getting a good education. My oldest is off to college next year and there are a lot of good universities here in the midwest.

I'm still a person who feels that anyone can achieve a lot in this world even if you don't have the most privilidged upbringing, but it has to come from within the person. College is very much an individual choice and plenty of kids struggle to figure out what they want to study or do as an adult and plenty of them are kids that had very privilidged upbringings. Slackers come in all shapes and sizes and from the entire range of economic backgrounds. I watch many parents create their own slackers by spoon feeding their kids at every turn. A little adversity is good for kids. They need to sink or swim on their own.

How many of them (like scholastic athletics/music/theater) rely on participation at public schools?

I'd guess that would depend on where you live and what your child's interests/your desires for them are. There aren't many places in modern America that the public school system is the only source for anything. 30 or 40 years ago that probably wasn't the case but 30 or 40 years ago public schools weren't in the totalitarianism business like they are today.

I'd guess that would depend on where you live and what your child's interests/your desires for them are.

Not if you assume that all public school teachers are lazy and incompetent bureaucrats.

Didn't you read the bull **** hypothetical?

A bold, but honest assertion. As to the social ramifications of home-schooling?

None if you're a good parent-teacher. Tons if you're a wacko.

The social ramification argument is awesome. Children were home "schooled" or community "schooled" for about the entire history of humankind until the last 100 years. Pretty sure they'd be OK. Home schooling these days gets a bad rap because many of the people who started home schooling were/are fringe lunatics.

Imagine if there were only public schools and only teachers on tenure who could essentially only lose their job for screwing a student?

Actually, those teachers probably sit in the 'rubber room' for the next 3 years at full pay and accruing full pension (that you are paying for -- thanks!) while the union does everything possible to delay the 'administrative hearing'. Cause you know, no one should ever be terminated from a job until they have had the equivalent of a trial.

None if you're a good parent-teacher. Tons if you're a wacko.

The social ramification argument is awesome. Children were home "schooled" or community "schooled" for about the entire history of humankind until the last 100 years. Pretty sure they'd be OK. Home schooling these days gets a bad rap because many of the people who started home schooling were/are fringe lunatics.

Yeah, but those people were crazy. You know keep what you earn, take responsibility for your actions and other crazy stuff like that.