The Hosers Bench Brodeur

Steely Dan

Luongo to start for Canada; Brodeur benched

By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Staff Writer

VANCOUVER -- Roberto Luongo is Canada's main man in these Olympics now, meaning he finally has his chance to steal the country from Martin Brodeur.

Luongo will start in net Tuesday against Germany in the qualification round. He's replacing Brodeur, the gold-medal winning goalie who gave up four goals on 18 shots in a 5-3 loss to Team USA. Ryan Kesler closed the scoring with an empty-net goal.

"I felt going into the tournament we set ourselves up with the possibility of making one change," Canada coach Mike Babcock said. "We talked about playing both guys and if we felt we needed a change we had one and now we're making it."

Babcock doesn't anticipate making another one because at this stage of the tournament it's win or go home, and if you win there isn't a reason to make a goalie change. If you have to make one during the game, well that's never a good sign anyway.

"One thing about this tournament now, if you're changing goalies you're probably out of the tournament," Babcock said. "This is our plan, he has an opportunity and he has to play well."

Babcock said Sunday night that "without emotion" he would watch the video of Canada's loss to the Americans and then make a decision. Luongo told NHL.com that Babcock informed him Sunday night that he would be getting the start.

I don't follow hockey enough to know if this a good thing or bad thing for them. Is Luongo a step up or step down and if so, by how much.

VANCOUVER -- Roberto Luongo is Canada's main man in these Olympics now, meaning he finally has his chance to steal the country from Martin Brodeur.

Luongo will start in net Tuesday against Germany in the qualification round. He's replacing Brodeur, the gold-medal winning goalie who gave up four goals on 18 shots in a 5-3 loss to Team USA. Ryan Kesler closed the scoring with an empty-net goal.

"I felt going into the tournament we set ourselves up with the possibility of making one change," Canada coach Mike Babcock said. "We talked about playing both guys and if we felt we needed a change we had one and now we're making it."

Babcock doesn't anticipate making another one because at this stage of the tournament it's win or go home, and if you win there isn't a reason to make a goalie change. If you have to make one during the game, well that's never a good sign anyway.

"One thing about this tournament now, if you're changing goalies you're probably out of the tournament," Babcock said. "This is our plan, he has an opportunity and he has to play well."

Babcock said Sunday night that "without emotion" he would watch the video of Canada's loss to the Americans and then make a decision. Luongo told NHL.com that Babcock informed him Sunday night that he would be getting the start.

I don't follow hockey enough to know if this a good thing or bad thing for them. Is Luongo a step up or step down and if so, by how much.

Brodeur already has a gold medal. Luongo might already want it more.

Both though are elite goalies that would start for any country or any team.

Therefore, might not make a big difference.

Yea, and you're surprised?? The Canadian's (not hosers, you childlike goon) didn't start Brodeur when they won their last olympics, in '02 but he won the gold for them.

Stop calling people childlike names: Jackass, Deerball, hoser......I know there are more.

You talk like a teenager.

What's a butterfly type of goalie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_style

Think Patrick Roy.

I think this is a bad move for Canada- remember how badly Luongo played against the Blackhawks last year? I'm a big believer in veteran experience, and Brodeur has that in spades... I can't think of one major game Luongo has played in. Also, I don't think Brodeur was totally at fault for that loss to the US, I'd give him the start against Germany to get his confidence back. Now, they have all their eggs in one basket w/ Luongo- I don't see this ending well.

It's hard to argue with Miller being the best out there right now. Nabokov playing just as well right now. Scary for the Canadian team that these two goalies are out there playing for solid medal contenders.

Yea, and you're surprised?? The Canadian's (not hosers, you childlike goon) didn't start Brodeur when they won their last olympics, in '02 but he won the gold for them.

Stop calling people childlike names: Jackass, Deerball, hoser......I know there are more.

You talk like a teenager.

I think those are just jokes.

It's hard to argue with Miller being the best out there right now. Nabokov playing just as well right now. Scary for the Canadian team that these two goalies are out there playing for solid medal contenders.

Looks like Canada Russia Wednesday. Will be huge!!