Question for any Police Officers

CosmicBills

Varies by location.

Some departments can justify the cost of a full time photographer (or more) while others might not have the budget for a full time photographer and contract it out

Does that mean it's possible for a guy to become a cop, not have the heart for it, and instead of taking a "desk job" switch his focus to being a forensic photographer for the department?

I know that's a vague question ... I'm just working on something that deals with forensic photography and I know nothing about it.

Does that mean it's possible for a guy to become a cop, not have the heart for it, and instead of taking a "desk job" switch his focus to being a forensic photographer for the department?

I know that's a vague question ... I'm just working on something that deals with forensic photography and I know nothing about it.

Then just make **** up, like everyone else in your industry. :P

Then just make **** up, like everyone else in your industry. :P

True. It will probably make for better TV than a guy who just happned to be standing by a door and the srageant handed him a camera and said, "get in the car we're going for a drive."

I know someone that has done forensic photography for hire, but not sure on their arrangement. Shoot me a PM with an email address that I can pass on to them

Quick question ... are Crime Scene Photographers actually officers or cops ... or do police departments sub out their work to private contractor types?

I debated getting into this field back when i was switching away from film production. All the research I did at the time (2000-2001) implied that the job was subcontract. Also paid horribly, like $20K/yr tops.

Depends on the department/agency.

Some larger departments have full time crime scene tech people who do all the crime scene work, but usually it is a uniformed cop who has extra training in crime scene investigation and responds to crime scenes and does the documentation and evidence collection.

In the federal world we usually use the locals (the uniformed cop with extra training). FBI has ERT's (Evidence Recovery Team) which is a group of agents with special training.

I have never in my 16 years of LE employment seen a department contract out the actual crime scene work. The lab work, sure, but never the crime scene photography or evidence collection.

Depends on the department/agency.

Some larger departments have full time crime scene tech people who do all the crime scene work, but usually it is a uniformed cop who has extra training in crime scene investigation and responds to crime scenes and does the documentation and evidence collection.

In the federal world we usually use the locals (the uniformed cop with extra training). FBI has ERT's (Evidence Recovery Team) which is a group of agents with special training.

I have never in my 16 years of LE employment seen a department contract out the actual crime scene work. The lab work, sure, but never the crime scene photography or evidence collection.

BB, can you give me some more info on the ERT's? That actually sounds like a better solution for what I'm going for.