The Official USA Olympic Hockey Thread

Simon

That OT game really hurt Canada in the standings. That puts them at the #6 seed, which means they'll have to play Russia in the quarterfinals. By comparison, the US will be playing probably either Slovakia or Switzerland in the quarterfinals.

Wow good point. Russia in the quarterfinals is bad news, but I like Canada over Russia.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few thoughts:

- I know Sid likes to whip it around but that extra pass he threw in a 1 goal game in the 3rd made me wonder if Ryan Miller wasn't in his head a little bit.

I thought the same thing. If you're that guy you must take a shot in that situation.

- If the US was going to keep a vet or two for big moments in these short tournaments they couldn't have made a better choice than Chris Drury.

Yeah.

- Was anybody else jumping and flopping all over their living room for the last 3 minutes or am I way overgeeked for a "prelim" game? With the Bills and Sabres being irrelevant for so long that was a really enjoyable experience to be that into a game. My wife hadn't seen me like that in years and seemed a bit horrified. :unsure:

It was nice to have a game, a meaningful game, turn out the way you wanted it to.

Kind of makes me wistful for what could be watching Miller perform on that stage.

Guest dog14787
For sports fans from the Buffalo area, there is a lot to like about this team. On the roster are two of the most hardworking and determined leaders to play for the Sabres in Ryan Miller and Chris Drury. Then there are guys like Patrick Kane, Brooks Orpik, Dustin Brown, and Ryan Callahan - all hailing from modest towns in upstate New York.

Stanley Cup anyone?

Then somehow, someway, we need Chris Drury and Ryan Miller back together again,

We need Captain Clutch...

New Words to Oh Canada

No, Canada

You lost to Uncle Sam

We'll take the gold

You laid down like a lamb

With frying pans you tended goal

We scored on you at will

From far and wide, Oh Canada

We're scoring on you still.

God keep your nets

Wide open and emp-ty

O Canada

We scored five goals on thee

O Canada

U.S. with gold you'll see!

New Words to Oh Canada

No, Canada

You lost to Uncle Sam

We'll take the gold

You laid down like a lamb

With frying pans you tended goal

We scored on you at will

From far and wide, Oh Canada

We're scoring on you still.

God keep your nets

Wide open and emp-ty

O Canada

We scored five goals on thee

O Canada

U.S. with gold you'll see!

Oh please. You're a BILLS fan and you're talking smack before it's over? I've been burned far too many times in the past.

Don't you wish the NHL played at the pace of these Olympic games? A full game in less that 2 hours and 30 minutes! Outstanding. Wish the NHL didn't have so many commercials. Now will we be able to watch the NHL after these thrilling games?

The NHL has three TV timeouts per period I believe. That isn't adding much extra time to the games.

What adds the time is all the bull **** fighting and all the kindergarten pushing and shoving that has to happen every time a goalie freezes the puck.

I think the main reason these Olympic games go so fast is the same reason they are so fun to watch. The quality of the play is so high from all the quality players in the games that offsides and other stoppages in general are few and far between.

Its like when people always say they wonder why the regular season cant match the playoffs' intensity.

You put a Stanley Cup or Gold Medals on the line and these millionaires suddenly put the paychecks out of mind. Out of all major professional team sports, I think if you get players to want to win that much... nothing comes close to hockey.

I originally posted this on the other thread about NBC being idiots, but what a political catfight that thread turned into! So I decided to move my post here where it belongs.

"What a great hockey game. I am an American living in Newfoundland and watched the game in HD on CTV. It was great to see the Americans silence that hateful Canadian crowd. Canadians have a reputation for being extremely nice, but I have lived here for seven years and they absolutely detest America. They have a huge collective inferiority complex when it comes to anything American and hockey is one of the few forums where they have a chance to beat us at something. They are so smug about hockey being "their" game. It was a pleasure to watch the U.S. shut them up. I can't wait to get to work today so I can talk some smack to my Canadian co-workers. All in good fun of course, but they deserve it. I take plenty of heat for being the only American."

Don't you wish the NHL played at the pace of these Olympic games? A full game in less that 2 hours and 30 minutes! Outstanding. Wish the NHL didn't have so many commercials. Now will we be able to watch the NHL after these thrilling games?

This is what made the game so much fun to watch. They kept the play moving and when it was moving, the players were skating...not just waiting for something to happen. You could definitely see the emotion they were bringing to the game. All you really need to do is see Zach Parise's reaction to both of Rafalski's goals - that should tell you the intensity they played with.

I definitely like this group of players. They're younger than the teams that the US has brought to past Olympics and they have more enthusiasm/intensity. They're playing like they have nothing to lose.

Ha, nice Oh Canada...

I'm a Team Canada fan, and I'm not here to ruin this thread...

Congratulations on the win, your team looked rock solid, and I've said from the start to people here in Canada that the US has a great team, specifically because they're built like a real hockey team. Scoring lines up front, checking and energy lines at the back. Canada doesn't really have that, we just threw together a dream team. Having guys like Backes and Drury and Kessler and Callahan really makes a huge difference. Of course, your scoring lines are as good as anyone elses, and you have the hottest goaltender in the world.

So anyway, a lot of respect for your team, at least from true hockey fans in Canada. That being said, I'm sure you remember 2002. Canada went 1-1-1 in round robin, then came back to win the tournament and the gold in your own back yard, 5-2. So, as we all know, this tournament is FAR from over. Canada/Russia is still a 50/50 ticket in my mind.

Guest dog14787
The NHL has three TV timeouts per period I believe. That isn't adding much extra time to the games.

What adds the time is all the bull **** fighting and all the kindergarten pushing and shoving that has to happen every time a goalie freezes the puck.

I think the main reason these Olympic games go so fast is the same reason they are so fun to watch. The quality of the play is so high from all the quality players in the games that offsides and other stoppages in general are few and far between.

Better quality players means fewer mistakes and less penalties. It also seemed like the officiating was doing its best to let the players decide the outcome and not the officials.

If its blatant, call it, if not, let em play :P

Miller was outstanding... but, it really seemed that Canada still controlled the pace of the game. To me, they look more dangerous than the US team. At many points throughout the game, it seemed like the US team was pressed up against the wall. If Brodeur tightens up his game the way he can, I still think Canada should be the favorite to win. But, we all know, especially in Buffalo, that good goaltending can steal you many games. Fingers crossed for the USA.