Toyota: Democrats 'not industry friendly'

Magox

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody is questioning the product that GM, Ford or anyone put out before. Not including the last few years.

Seriously, you believe there has to be a huge lobbyist/governmental push to keep people away from MULTIPLE FLAWED LINES? If anyone is on the fence all they have to do is look at the recalls and buy somewhere else. Simple as that.

Sorry if you are a owner of a quality* Toyota car right now and feel scorned.

Actually as I have already stated, I owned a Caravan and Neon, and now I own a 2000 Civic.

So far, the amount of money I've had to drop on repairing those two pieces of junk before finally selling them off at a significant discount makes anything Toyota has done look like impeccable quality.

How is it a double standard? What because the other companies weren't brought in front of the principal to answer for their wrong doings? It's a simple as Toyota always had a squeaky clean image, we now know that they are big time flawed. THAT and being an election year makes it big news.

I guess I should join the Toyota Pity Party around here.

I agree in some aspects. This isn't a Ford/Toyota/GM isssue. This type of thing happens across the automotive spectrum. Congress raked Ford over the coals for the Firestone/Explorer fiasco. The only issue this time is the gov't publically has skin in the game and that's why it reeks of a "witch hunt."

I used the incorrect wording. Obviously every car company has recalls. I must have missed it on the front page of ever major newspaper. :angry:

Again, sorry you feel scorned over the PR / Recall mess that Toyota is in. :D

But every car company has recalls. Did you know that they weren't on every front page because of the Dems and Lobbyists?

I guess this being the largest recall in US history didn't help either.

I agree in some aspects. This isn't a Ford/Toyota/GM isssue. This type of thing happens across the automotive spectrum. Congress raked Ford over the coals for the Firestone/Explorer fiasco. The only issue this time is the gov't publically has skin in the game and that's why it reeks of a "witch hunt."

I understand why people say and think that. I just don't believe it. In this day and age where everything is instantly debated, scrutinized, etc. The one thing this administration wouldn't want to be involved with is putting down toyota to benefit GM, etc. Fact of the matter is that they don't have to do anything... the media is raking them through the coals.

I understand why people say and think that. I just don't believe it. In this day and age where everything is instantly debated, scrutinized, etc. The one thing this administration wouldn't want to be involved with is putting down toyota to benefit GM, etc. Fact of the matter is that they don't have to do anything... the media is raking them through the coals.

Wanna buy a bridge?

No but they did before. They went bankrupt remember? That more than shows what a terrible product they were putting out there.

Clearly you don't see that the Detroit lobbyists are using this to get everyone to stop buying Toyota's. If all recalls were as publicized as this one, no one would ever drive a car.

That's what I'm trying to make you realize.

Not just the Detroite lobbyists, but the politicians as well:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0210/33346.html

Rep. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.) said Tuesday morning that Toyota misled the public and the NHTSA bought into the automaker’s explanation about sudden inexplicable acceleration.

“This begs the question whether NHTSA is too cozy with the business it oversees,” Stupak said.

Stupak and Waxman both said NHTSA may be stuck in a “mechanical mindset.”

Stupak being from Michigan I suppose doesn't have any other stake in the game. :rolleyes:

Yes, the government is out to get Toyota and everyone!!! AHHHHH run for your lives!!!!!

And if the Bridge is the Verrazano... sure.

You know I live in a country where Government controls everything and let me tell you, it's great. I pay over 40% of my income to taxes and that doesn't include 14.5% sales tax, tax on alcohol, tax on gas, tax on lap dances, everything.

Take my word for it, the less the better.

The only thing I believe all people should have access to is basic health care and education. Obviously this differs from the points of view of many on this board but that's just my opinion.

I think Congress should look at some of their own recent products (stimulus bill, etc) and recall those.

You know I live in a country where Government controls everything and let me tell you, it's great. I pay over 40% of my income to taxes and that doesn't include 14.5% sales tax, tax on alcohol, tax on gas, tax on lap dances, everything.

Take my word for it, the less the better.

The only thing I believe all people should have access to is basic health care and education. Obviously this differs from the points of view of many on this board but that's just my opinion.

Totally agree with your post. I am not for huge government, taxes anything like that at all. And totally agree with you about access to basic health care and education. Problem as we all know is how to go about getting it at the same time helping to reduce healthcare costs for those who already have health care coverage.

I am not going to say things are witch hunts and everything else negative until there are facts to prove so. Sorry that's just me.

I know that these recalls are not that uncommon as well. I do believe one of the reasons for the heavy Press is because of the squeaky clean image Toyota had. As far as the Transportation Department I am glad they are doing their job. They should be hard on them. Should have nothing to do with Unions or any sort of hidden agenda. Again, no proof of that.

You mean the image the press "gave" them, right?

You mean the image the press "gave" them, right?

Yes, the Press has been hard on Toyota and rightfully so. Toyota F'd up. No other way to put it. Yes, they have one blemish on their spotless record. They are paying for that now and I am sure they will be fine. They can't blame the Press, the Dems, the Unions... no one but themselves and maybe the bad PR job.

Yes, the Press has been hard on Toyota and rightfully so. Toyota F'd up. No other way to put it. Yes, they have one blemish on their spotless record. They are paying for that now and I am sure they will be fine. They can't blame the Press, the Dems, the Unions... no one but themselves and maybe the bad PR job.

No one is disputing that Toyota "F'd up", the argument that is being made, which you are failing to comprehend is the level of scrutiny that they are receiving from Congress/Government. You just want to believe that this is purely motivated for consumer protections, where in reality it is more of a dual agenda.

The fact is that in previous recalls, even larger ones, we've never seen this sort of intense perusal from Congress. Considering the relationship the W.H has with the Unions with the Automakers, it would be awfully naive to believe that there isn't a correlation with the witch hunt that we are seeing. Plus, the congressman that was hammering them the most today was Bart Stupak. Guess which state he lives in? Michigan.

No one is disputing that Toyota "F'd up", the argument that is being made, which you are failing to comprehend is the level of scrutiny that they are receiving from Congress/Government. You just want to believe that this is purely motivated for consumer protections, where in reality it is more of a dual agenda.

The fact is that in previous recalls, even larger ones, we've never seen this sort of intense perusal from Congress. Considering the relationship the W.H has with the Unions with the Automakers, it would be awfully naive to believe that there isn't a correlation with the witch hunt that we are seeing. Plus, the congressman that was hammering them the most today was Bart Stupak. Guess which state he lives in? Michigan.

Dear god when one disagrees it does not mean they don't understand. I understand. The level of scrutiny is well justified. Gas pedals being stuck? Steering issues? What's next tire issues? Oh wait, we've seen that before with the Ford/Firestone recall. No heavy scrutiny there. Come on, is the simple safety factor not enough for people to be worried and annoyed or does Toyota get as free pass because of their history being so clean. I say no. I don't care if it's their first fraction or one thousandth and it has nothing to do with unions, Dems or anything else but safety.

You have no proof of any sort of agenda other than it being an election year and some sorry-ass politicians want to get free face time with the voter. Give me a freakin' break. AGAIN, Toyota screwed up and like others they should not get a free pass.

Go ahead people look for your smoke and mirrors, for your conspiracy theories in everything that happens. Only you know that the Dems and the government are always out to get you. :rolleyes:

Dear god when one disagrees it does not mean they don't understand. I understand. The level of scrutiny is well justified.

No, it's not. There is no earthly reason to drag "victims" in front of Congress to describe tearfully how three years ago their Corolla mysteriously accellerated to almost 35mph before they hit the brakes. Which is exactly what I saw on CNN this afternoon.

What possible justification is there for that level of "scrutiny"?

No, it's not. There is no earthly reason to drag "victims" in front of Congress to describe tearfully how three years ago their Corolla mysteriously accellerated to almost 35mph before they hit the brakes. Which is exactly what I saw on CNN this afternoon.

What possible justification is there for that level of "scrutiny"?

I didn't do any research so excuse my ignorance but if the accelerator is stuck... why wouldn't one just slap it in neutral and rip the hand brake?

I didn't do any research so excuse my ignorance but if the accelerator is stuck... why wouldn't one just slap it in neutral and rip the hand brake?

I do know that on my car at least (05 Prius), an electrical fault could theoretically involve the accelerator, transmission (electronic CVT) and braking system. There is absolutely no earthly reason the emergency brake shouldn't work, though - that, at least, is still mechanical.

But most people that I see on a daily basis don't pay much attention to their driving to begin with. They'd never have the awareness or reaction time to deal with even a minor incident. I have to wonder how many of these "My car suddenly accellerated" or "My brakes didn't work" stories can include "while I was on my cell phone".