30 years ago today - Miracle on Ice

bbb

I have very fuzzy memories of this as a kid since I was only 7, but what a great sports moment. I loved the film "Miracle", too....I get chills every time I see clips of this game.

I also want to commend the maker of this video on giving the leadup story to this.........Not only was this the greatest sporting event ever, but it seemed to be a total shift in how we viewed ourselves as a country.........As I said I was 17, and it was the first time in my life that it was cool to be patriotic.....Seems like nothing now, but I think it was the first time USA was chanted, first time the flags came out onto the ice, first time young people were actually proud to be Americans.

I also want to commend the maker of this video on giving the leadup story to this.........Not only was this the greatest sporting event ever, but it seemed to be a total shift in how we viewed ourselves as a country.........As I said I was 17, and it was the first time in my life that it was cool to be patriotic.....Seems like nothing now, but I think it was the first time USA was chanted, first time the flags came out onto the ice, first time young people were actually proud to be Americans.

Must not touch this post with a 10' poll... Must not.

:w00t::unsure:

In this case it was much more meaningful and memorable because we won with "Amateur" talent.

They were "our" kids, and they beat their Pros.

Truly a great game!

We have a winner!

I wish that was still the case. I don't like pros participating in the Olympics. If other countries want to do it, fine. The USA should stick to amateurs, IMO.

U.S. just upset the Canadians, 5-3.

I was 10 years old when the Miracle happened. And if you remember, the game was not shown live on ABC. It was shown on tape delay...the game was over at about 7:40, and the broadcast started at 8:00. I remember seeing a crawl on the TV that the U.S. had beaten the Soviets, twenty minutes before the broadcast.

Nonetheless, my dad, mom, brother and I watched the whole game. We wanted to witness history.

And I remember Johnny Carson mentioning it at the start of his monologue that night. :unsure:

Don't mean to make this political, but I agree 100% with bbb. That game seemed to be the start. Remember Reagan got elected later that year.

Don't mean to make this political, but I agree 100% with bbb. That game seemed to be the start. Remember Reagan got elected later that year.

So you're saying there was a downside, too?

:unsure:

it's actually 30 years ago tomorrow :unsure:

Wow - you're right - I heard it on NBC last night, and then went to this day in history today to double check and saw the picture, but didn't notice that there was a picture for every day this week.......And, if I even paid attention to the date, I would have noticed that tomorrow is the 22nd. Oh well, I'll get to reminisce again tomorrow!

You didn't.

Thanks. I didn't think so........I'm not saying that I wasn't proud to be American or anything that might have been misconstrued...........Yes, the Bicentennial was 4 years before and there was a lot of patriotism then, but not really by young people (Nam and Watergate were very fresh).........I'll just it was my experience where this was the first time it cool for young people to be patriotic.

U.S. just upset the Canadians, 5-3.

I was 10 years old when the Miracle happened. And if you remember, the game was not shown live on ABC. It was shown on tape delay...the game was over at about 7:40, and the broadcast started at 8:00. I remember seeing a crawl on the TV that the U.S. had beaten the Soviets, twenty minutes before the broadcast.

Nonetheless, my dad, mom, brother and I watched the whole game. We wanted to witness history.

And I remember Johnny Carson mentioning it at the start of his monologue that night. :unsure:

I thought I just read that the US hadn't beaten Canada in the Olympics since 1960. You missed one of the great hockey games of all time if you didn't see it. Ryan Miller was out-of-his-mind awesome.

PTR