Tax time again!

BB27

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a question, I haven't seen anything from Edward Jones (IRA) or Nationwide (401K). Should I be getting some type of tax form from them? I thought previous years that they had sent me something.

check online if you can Jack...a lot of those places do the 1099 forms electronically now. You should have gotten all of that by now

check online if you can Jack...a lot of those places do the 1099 forms electronically now. You should have gotten all of that by now

I've checked both sites, I haven't seen anything show up there under the electronic statements section for my accounts. I may just have to call them tomorrow.

I've checked both sites, I haven't seen anything show up there under the electronic statements section for my accounts.

That's quite odd. I'd be on the phone ASAP with them. All those forms had to be postdated 01/30/2010 and in the mail.

Do you take umbrage against members the citizenry for expressing their 1st Amendment rights? You seem to demean them...ridicule them.

I guess I need a teleprompter...

No but there seems to be a great deal of misinformation designed to distract people from what is really going on. And you know what they say...repeat a lie long enough and people start believing it. The examples are too numerous to mention. Call health insurance reform a government takeover of medicine? Now you have people without health coverage actually opposing something they desperately need.

Its so easy to trick people into giving up what is in their interest. That is just plain foolish.

PTR

I got a question, I haven't seen anything from Edward Jones (IRA) or Nationwide (401K). Should I be getting some type of tax form from them? I thought previous years that they had sent me something.

You will not get tax forms from them yet seeing they are tax deferred investments. You'll get a 1099-R probably later. Seeing you owe no taxes on these investments the companies are in no hurry to send them out. People freak all the time because they get them often after April 15th and I need to explain to them no taxes are due so don't worry.

No but there seems to be a great deal of misinformation designed to distract people from what is really going on. And you know what they say...repeat a lie long enough and people start believing it. The examples are too numerous to mention. Call health insurance reform a government takeover of medicine? Now you have people without health coverage actually opposing something they desperately need.

Its so easy to trick people into giving up what is in their interest. That is just plain foolish.

PTR

Yes and one of those lies repeated over and over again is that people making over $250 live in the lap of luxury and have buckets of money they can just hand over to the government to do who knows what.

Yes and one of those lies repeated over and over again is that people making over $250 live in the lap of luxury and have buckets of money they can just hand over to the government to do who knows what.

I guess people have a different idea of what is middle class. Maybe what seems normal to you is extravagant to me. I can see how $250K might not be that much money if you live in SF or NY, but the tax impact for people at that threshold is minimal. And if you make $300K, $400K, $500K+, I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing you are having trouble making ends meet, unless you have some very expensive habits.

PTR

You will not get tax forms from them yet seeing they are tax deferred investments. You'll get a 1099-R probably later. Seeing you owe no taxes on these investments the companies are in no hurry to send them out. People freak all the time because they get them often after April 15th and I need to explain to them no taxes are due so don't worry.

Bah you're right...wasn't thinking of them being tax deferred. My 401k was closed out this year (no longer with the company) which is why I got mine so early.

Actually, you get a 1099-R when you have a distribution or rollover from the retirement accounts and those forms were due out by the end of January. If you did not take any of the funds, then you will receive a form 5498 by May 15th which just tells you the fair market value of the account at 12/31/09. So Jack, if you did not take anything out of the IRA or 401k in 2009, then you will not need any forms from them to complete your taxes.

I guess people have a different idea of what is middle class. Maybe what seems normal to you is extravagant to me. I can see how $250K might not be that much money if you live in SF or NY, but the tax impact for people at that threshold is minimal. And if you make $300K, $400K, $500K+, I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing you are having trouble making ends meet, unless you have some very expensive habits.

PTR

And what pray tell is wrong with expensive habits? You do realize those expensive habits are typically:

A. A nice home (Those bastards!)

B. A nice car or two (Eegads)

C. An expensive school for their kids

D. A huge chunk to put aside so they may maintain a quality lifestyle at retirment ($1,000,000 in retirment will only provide $50-$60k of income)

E. A huge chunk to pay the premiums on insurance should they die or become disabled and the family has zero income.

F. Possibly a very large donation to charity

G. Reinvestment back into their company (as a business owner I think this may make sense to you)

It's not all Champagne, caviar and yachts.

Actually, you get a 1099-R when you have a distribution or rollover from the retirement accounts and those forms were due out by the end of January. If you did not take any of the funds, then you will receive a form 5498 by May 15th which just tells you the fair market value of the account at 12/31/09. So Jack, if you did not take anything out of the IRA or 401k in 2009, then you will not need any forms from them to complete your taxes.

I stand corrected.

And what pray tell is wrong with expensive habits? You do realize those expensive habits are typically:

A. A nice home (Those bastards!)

B. A nice car or two (Eegads)

C. An expensive school for their kids

D. A huge chunk to put aside so they may maintain a quality lifestyle at retirment ($1,000,000 in retirment will only provide $50-$60k of income)

E. A huge chunk to pay the premiums on insurance should they die or become disabled and the family has zero income.

F. Possibly a very large donation to charity

G. Reinvestment back into their company (as a business owner I think this may make sense to you)

It's not all Champagne, caviar and yachts.

In other words, spending money that goes back into the economy that ends up being part of the salaries of the people in the lower tax brackets? Here I thought they were lighting cigars with Benjamins just for the fun of it.

PTR

We love that train of "thought".

Sincerely,

Small business owners everywhere.

At some point, all of you partisan hacks are going to realize that the reason we're in the straights we're in is because the government has TOO MUCH money, not the opposite and that everything they touch turns to **** in a very short period of time. We may well be learning Mandarin by that point.