Burning a Video DVD

The Dean

I know this has been touched on in the past, and I looked at some old threads. But I have a very specific, and I think easy, question for those in the know.

This has nothing to do with copying DVDs and there are no copyright issues invloved.

I have a friend who shoots some digital video and transfers the files to her computer. They are .mov files. She is looking to burn the occasional Video DVD of her work.

The computer runs Windows XP. There doesn't seem to be any DVD burning software on her computer. The Sonic (or is it Roxio) included with her computer only burns CDs.

She has tried Windows Movie Maker and the free version of VideoDVDMaker, but has had no luck. She also upgraded to Quicktime Pro to convert the .mov files to another format, but still is unable to find an easy way to burn the Video DVD.

I have googled this and have explored many options, but would like to hear directly from someone who does this and knows what works well. While she would prefer a free option (she isn't going to be doing much of this and doesn't need anything fancy) but is willing to pay a small amount if it is necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've been through more DVD creation software then I care to admit. When I moved to a hidef camera, I went to Cyberlink Powerproducer. It's pretty simple to run, and not only allows you to burn DVDs, but also makes it easy to get your video to YouTube, and a number of other formats. You ARE paying for this, but I've found that the free stuff typically sucks in terms of being intuitive.

I would add that one issue I have found with this software is that it is particular about the type of DVD-R you use. I initially tried a Memorex brand, it would burn the video for about 10 minutes and report a failure. I tried Sony brand and have success all the time.

I've never used it (I use Adobe Premier Elements) but have you looked at Microsoft Movie Maker?

EDIT: Duh, I went back and re-read where she has tried WMM. Anyways, you can sometimes find Premiere bundled with Photoshop Elements for under $100 after rebate.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-Prem...1365&sr=8-2

I've never used it (I use Adobe Premier Elements) but have you looked at Microsoft Movie Maker?

IF you read his post and had any amount of comprehension, you'd know he did.

BTW I have the same problem with helping my son make his own highlight film...he has all the game films from this year but would like to cut and paste...it's not straight forward and frankly after spending many hours and different methods we gave up. :D

IF you read his post and had any amount of comprehension, you'd know he did.

BTW I have the same problem with helping my son make his own highlight film...he has all the game films from this year but would like to cut and paste...it's not straight forward and frankly after spending many hours and different methods we gave up. :D

Try DVDFab.

EDIT: Duh, I went back and re-read where she has tried WMM. Anyways, you can sometimes find Premiere bundled with Photoshop Elements for under $100 after rebate.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-Prem...1365&sr=8-2

The current version of Adobe Premiere Elements (4 or 5, can't recall)is a HUGE resource hog. Avoid it at all costs.

I've used Sony Vegas for years. It's feature rich and relatively inexpensive . . .

I've been through more DVD creation software then I care to admit. e. I initially tried a Memorex brand, it would burn the video for about 10 minutes and report a failure. I tried Sony brand and have success all the time.

BTW I have the same problem with helping my son make his own highlight film...he has all the game films from this year but would like to cut and paste...it's not straight forward and frankly after spending many hours and different methods we gave up. :rolleyes:

WTF is the issue here? My initial Google searches revealed the same thing. Something that should be so simple ends up being a nightmare for some. That's the reason I came here instead of just relying on the info given on the softwares' sites. This shouldn't be so difficult, IMO.

Try DVDFab.

I will check it out.

The problem is some of the software offers free versions that claim to be able to easily burn video DVD. When you get it, you find out you need the professional/paid for version. Some have free trial versions that claim to be fully functional, but are not.

Why would someone pay for software from a company that has already lied to them? I don't think anyone should have an issue for paying a reasonable fee for decent software. But if they lied to you about their free version or free trial, why would I believe their claims about the software they want me to buy?

Is she hot?

She may have been a looker 20 or 30 years ago. Now she is a nice (married) lady that volunteers at a local theater (the theater is a client of mine).