Thanksgiving Football

_BiB_

When the NFL first started scheduling Thanksgiving games no teams wanted to play on Thanksgiving. Detroit and Dallas volunteered. After a few years every NFL team wanted to play on Thansgiving. Detroit and Dallas were rewarded for playing when noone else wanted to

When the NFL first started scheduling Thanksgiving games no teams wanted to play on Thanksgiving.  Detroit and Dallas volunteered.  After a few years every NFL team wanted to play on Thansgiving.  Detroit and Dallas were rewarded for playing when noone else wanted to

132361[/snapback]

Thanks.

When the NFL first started scheduling Thanksgiving games no teams wanted to play on Thanksgiving.  Detroit and Dallas volunteered.  After a few years every NFL team wanted to play on Thansgiving.  Detroit and Dallas were rewarded for playing when noone else wanted to

132361[/snapback]

Do the players get time-and-a-half?

I remember the Bills beating the St. Louis Cards at St. Louis, 32-14 on Thanksgiving day... 1974 , I believe. FB Jim Braxton had a huge day.

132374[/snapback]

So, it hasn't always been Detroit and Dallas, then. The last Bills game on TG I remember watching was a loss to Detroit.

So, it hasn't always been Detroit and Dallas, then. The last Bills game on TG I remember watching was a loss to Detroit.

132380[/snapback]

I went back and checked that Bills-Cards Thanksgiving game . I was right about the score. The year was 1975.

Detroit has played on Thanksgiving since the 1960's. Dallas picked up the late game around 1980, I believe.

I went back and checked that Bills-Cards Thanksgiving game . I was right about the score. The year was 1975.

Detroit has played on Thanksgiving since the 1960's. Dallas picked up the late game around 1980, I believe.

132398[/snapback]

In the early '60's, the Lions were a "marquee" team...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det1962.htm