Sarah Palin = Kanye West

Oh you may be "informed" BUT you don't know jack unless you have lived it 24/7/365 THEN you can talk. When you have to rebuild your kids conficence every day when a foolish child calls them retarded, or deal with them being bullied, having things stolen and spit on, repairing that damage isn't easy. Try explaining to them every day that they why people pick on them.

Actually you should direct this quote to The Big Kitty. Maybe he'd see why he's wrong and that in comedy everyone is not fair game.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general or referring to a specific disabled person?

Both. You could just as easily start a joke about disabled as follows:

"Man, disabled people are so crazy! They're so crazy! They're always..."

Likewise, you could start a joke:

"Man, my brother Nelson, he's disabled. He's so crazy! He's always..."

I venture to say the second example would be the better way to go since it makes it a bit more personal. The audience will know you're making fun of all disabless, but having a name and a general likeness to go along with Nelson's persona would give the joke a bit more salience.

Whether or not any of these jokes are actually funny, that's a totally different story.

Both. You could just as easily start a joke about disabled as follows:

"Man, disabled people are so crazy! They're so crazy! They're always..."

Likewise, you could start a joke:

"Man, my brother Nelson, he's disabled. He's so crazy! He's always..."

I venture to say the second example would be the better way to go since it makes it a bit more personal. The audience will know you're making fun of all disabless, but having a name and a general likeness to go along with Nelson's persona would give the joke a bit more salience.

Whether or not any of these jokes are actually funny, that's a totally different story.

My wife and I used to be big fans of stand up comedy. We lived down the street from the original Improv and used to go all the time. We used to watch improv shows on TV every chance we could get. You just solved the problem why we don't follow stand up anymore. It's become tasteless crap. I have a great friend who did stand up. Never cursed and his jokes were something like this.

"My family was in the iron and steel business. My mom ironed and my dad stole."

"I'm unemployed and my father is unemployed. People always acuse us of nepotism."

Not great jokes I know but you get my picture. Comedy has gone in the dumper the past couple of decades. Watch an old Bob Newhart bit and you see what I'm talking about.

Bah, it is now, only because you've turned me to defending the minutia of a pretty general statement inspired by this incident: Stop being offended by comedy.

Last night I spoke with several local comedians (not about this) but one of them added to the point of not being offended by comedy in a way I'd never considered but will offer here:

If we're going to recognize comedy as an art, then why is it the only artform shunned when it explores sensitive areas?

Now, one can easily argue against the artistic clout of Family Guy, but one could easily make the same argument for or against anything.

You and your friends should stick to comedy (Lord knows you probably need the practice), and leave the intellectualizing to others better equipped for those converstations.

Not to interupt the ongoing game of "Elephant Pile on the Liberal" but what exactly was the rude, crude, offensive, and tasteless attempt at a joke that started all of this in the first place?

What line in the show caused all this furor?

Was it the girl with downs syndrome who is portrayed as leading a normal life and dating a boy her own age stating that her mother was the Governor of Alaska? How is that an insult? And who is being insulted?

Or was it something else?

I'm Just askin...

Oh and please feel free to resume whuppin on the Big Cat, after all he deserves it for not asking you guys what his opinion should be before openin his darn liberal mouth and speaking out on his own.

Not to interupt the ongoing game of "Elephant Pile on the Liberal" but what exactly was the rude, crude, offensive, and tasteless attempt at a joke that started all of this in the first place?

What line in the show caused all this furor?

Was it the girl with downs syndrome who is portrayed as leading a normal life and dating a boy her own age stating that her mother was the Governor of Alaska? How is that an insult? And who is being insulted?

Or was it something else?

I'm Just askin...

Oh and please feel free to resume whuppin on the Big Cat, after all he deserves it for not asking you guys what his opinion should be before openin his darn liberal mouth and speaking out on his own.

I thought liberals had compassion. See it's so damn easy to be a hypocrit when you're a liberal. Oh and BTW I think the Cat's arguement has nothing to do with Family Guy anymore.

My wife and I used to be big fans of stand up comedy. We lived down the street from the original Improv and used to go all the time. We used to watch improv shows on TV every chance we could get. You just solved the problem why we don't follow stand up anymore. It's become tasteless crap. I have a great friend who did stand up. Never cursed and his jokes were something like this.

"My family was in the iron and steel business. My mom ironed and my dad stole."

"I'm unemployed and my father is unemployed. People always acuse us of nepotism."

Not great jokes I know but you get my picture. Comedy has gone in the dumper the past couple of decades. Watch an old Bob Newhart bit and you see what I'm talking about.

Again: I don't do stand up. But your point is valid.

However, I'd argue that comedy hasn't gone in the dumps, it's just become really really really deluded. The world hasn't gotten any less funny, and we haven't run out of people to point that out.

I do long-form improv. 5-10 of us take a suggestion and do a 25 minute show based on it. Most times it's funny, some times it isn't. But it's not our job to create jokes. It's our job to improvise reality, and finding that truth is a lot harder than it sounds. But when it's achieved, and you give the audience their first glimpse of their own reality, that's when it's funny. In long-form you can't create that reality when you're just being rude and crude. It makes for a very sluggish show.

I thought liberals had compassion. See it's so damn easy to be a hypocrit when you're a liberal. Oh and BTW I think the Cat's arguement has nothing to do with Family Guy anymore.

Had I made the point RI has (and it's the right point to make), this thread would have gone the way of all Sarah Palin bicker-fests.

I chose to address the larger point, a point seemingly too big for you to handle!

I thought liberals had compassion. See it's so damn easy to be a hypocrit when you're a liberal.

Actually I find it's pretty easy to be a hypocrite if you're a human, but that's just me. You wanna spout PPP Talking Points fine, "Liberals Bad!" "Everyting Bad in the USA is the Damm Liberals Fault!" Happy Now?

but that doesn't answer the question. What exactly was the line in the show that generated all this hoo-rah?

Oh and BTW I think the Cat's arguement has nothing to do with Family Guy anymore.

I'm not defending the Big Cat, he dug the hole; he can get out of it by himself.

What exactly was the line in the show that generated all this hoo-rah?

The hoo-rah in this thread is not about what happened on the show. It's about Big Cat trying to convince everyone other than BillsFan-4-Ever and his Improv group that a parent who defends herself and her child is weak because comedians have the duty to mock you and your child and you should nut up because if your two-year-old Downs child can't defend themselves, then no one should.

Big Cat is big and strong and nothing affects him. The rest of us, by comparison to Big Cat , are weak, especially if any part of us wants to defend our children from being mocked.

That's what the hoo-rah is all about, Charlie Brown.

The hoo-rah in this thread is not about what happened on the show. It's about Big Cat trying to convince everyone other than BillsFan-4-Ever and his Improv group that a parent who defends herself and her child is weak because comedians have the duty to mock you and your child and you should nut up because if your two-year-old Downs child can't defend themselves, then no one should.

Big Cat is big and strong and nothing affects him. The rest of us, by comparison to Big Cat , are weak, especially if any part of us wants to defend our children from being mocked.

Man you sound like a whining sissy sometimes.

OK, I'll rephrese the question.

I get that Big Cat said something that you and others took exception to. It happens every time he posts something. He knows it, I know it, you know it. Now forget about it.

What I want to know is; what was the line in the show that was so vile, dispicable, crass, and heartless that it drove Governor Palin to make those statements in defense of her child?

Enlighten me O' Wise Ones...

OK, I'll rephrese the question.

I get that Big Cat said something that you and others took exception to. It happens every time he posts something. He knows it, I know it, you know it. Now forget about it.

What I want to know is; what was the line in the show that was so vile, dispicable, crass, and heartless that it drove Governor Palin to make those statements in defense of her child?

Enlighten me O' Wise Ones...

The argument isn't "should Palin be upset". The argument is, "does Palin have the right to be upset." See the difference?

If you don't, then you have a long way to go before ever even knowing the definition of the word "enlighten".