Got a credit card question

Just Jack

Got a notice a card I don't use often, the bank is going ahead and closing the account. I still owe a couple hundred dollars though. Can I tell them since they decided to close it, too bad, so sad, not gonna bother paying it off then?

No...but if they tell you it's due in full because the account was closed, I'm pretty sure you can tell them to go pound sand.

Although if a credit card company did that to me, I'd probably try to argue out of paying, just as a "!@#$ you" to them.

No...but if they tell you it's due in full because the account was closed, I'm pretty sure you can tell them to go pound sand.

Kinda my thought already, miminum payment was always $15 though I usually paid it off when I did use it, so I'm thinking I'll be sending the miminum from now on, should take almost two years to pay it off.

Kinda my thought already, miminum payment was always $15 though I usually paid it off when I did use it, so I'm thinking I'll be sending the miminum from now on, should take almost two years to pay it off.

Ya, but who do you think you're punishing by doing this?

I know it'll cost me in interest charges, but they won't be getting all their money right away, and will have to keep the account active.

so you are going to give the credit card money DOUBLE what you own them... to teach THEM a lesson?

they WANT you to pay it off in minimum payments. do you really think the CC company is hurting for cash?

you're making a mistake by not paying it off as quickly as possible.

I know it'll cost me in interest charges, but they won't be getting all their money right away, and will have to keep the account active.

Don't do it, Jack. It's a couple of hundred bucks - they don't care if you pay them $15/month for 24 months (giving them double) or if you pay it all at once. Your account isn't actually going to be deleted from their system - so it makes no difference to them whether you have a balance or not.

Just pay your bill in full and be done with it.

Got a notice a card I don't use often, the bank is going ahead and closing the account. I still owe a couple hundred dollars though. Can I tell them since they decided to close it, too bad, so sad, not gonna bother paying it off then?

Say you ran out of checks, and you didnt want to be late on your payment, and send them i giant bag of pennies!!

Just checked cause I was going to make a payment online and it shows no payment due, next due date is March 4th. I did make a payment a couple weeks ago, so I'll have to see what it shows after the 4th if they want a miminum or the full amount, or nothing which I doubt.

It's Lowes/GE btw.

You want to mess with them a little. Pay the balance, but pay an extra dollar. They will have to send you a statement every month showing a credit. It happened to me (paid extra in error when closing the card).

When I left PA, I paid off my final bill to the Bell phone people. They sent me a check for 2 or 3 cents' overpayment. I sent them a check for 4 cents. They sent me back a check for a penny or so.

I never cashed it - I destroyed it. :wallbash:

• 3 weeks later...
For those interested, it's now two days past the payment due date and my account online still shows no payment due.

"No payment due" does not mean "no accrual of interest." My credit cards frequently say I owe nothing for the month....

"No payment due" does not mean "no accrual of interest." My credit cards frequently say I owe nothing for the month....

But no payment, means no payment. I will continue to check every week to see if it updates though.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thinking...the accrued interest will just keep building up that way. <_<

But no payment, means no payment. I will continue to check every week to see if it updates though.

Be careful. They could tack a fee on to your account.

Old story: I had a credit card which I used for total of $10.06. I sent a check for $10.06 and they cashed it for only $10.00. I called them telling them I have returned check and it clear states $10.06 including in writing on check "Ten dollars and six cents". I was told on phone that I do not need to worry and it would be waived. Next month I got a statement with balance of $.06; I called again and told me there was no problem I owed nothing and statement was printed before I was talked to by office. I did not use credit card and on next statement their was the $0.06 plus interest (minimum amount of interest allowed, I think $.50) and a $25 non-payment fee. I called back again and was told it was not an issue and it would be corrected including confirmation by a manager who was called on line. Next month I was charged interest on balance (minimum amount) and interest on the $25 with warning that I would be charged a fee again and report would be given to credit agencies if I did not pay immediately. I called, canceled account despite their assurances that it would be corrected. I sent an official bank check and closed account.

It is not worth this trouble.