Does anyone else hate Weddings?

billsfan89

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tax benefits, I take it?

No, seeing I was working in restaurants with no retirement and low income she was working in law firms with 401k plans and good salary. My wife is not a spender (I assume that's what Darin was talking about) she is frugal like me. And here we are nearly 30 years later with a very nice nest egg.

No, seeing I was working in restaurants with no retirement and low income she was working in law firms with 401k plans and good salary. My wife is not a spender (I assume that's what Darin was talking about) she is frugal like me. And here we are nearly 30 years later with a very nice nest egg.

Ah, I got the impression at some point that you had substantial income when you got married. My mistake.

The rule doesn't apply to everyone, obviously. :ph34r:

The rule doesn't apply to everyone, obviously. :unsure:

To most? Yes, I'll give you that. Remember what I do for a living and one step of the process is reviewing people's budgets. A few years ago one of my reps recommended a $50 per month Roth IRA. $50 !@#$ing bucks. The wife said no because she's have to cancel her monthly pedicure. Hey at least when she's shoeless pushing a shopping cart her feet will look fabulous. :ph34r:

IMO weddings can range from terrific to tolerable, for the most part. One exception to that was a wedding that was w/o alcohol, and I was not informed of that prior to attending. Dull people for the most part, and I knew very few of them. I stayed the minimum required time.

But other than that, I manage to have a pretty good time at most weddings.

To the OP, here are some tips for getting through that dreaded wedding with minimal discomfort:

Have a drink or two, or toke or two, prior to the ceremony. Don't get blasted, mind you, just something to ameliorate the experience.

Time your entrance to the church/temple/hall so that you can say "Hello" to those who might notice your presence at the event. Make an impression. Talk to the Groom/Bride for 10 seconds if you get a chance. Then, once the bride goes down the isle (all eyes will be on her) slip out the door and go to a bar. Then meet everyone at the reception. They won't know you slipped out, and you will have fulfilled your obligation.

Go to the reception with a slightly better buzz than everyone else. But be cool. Don't go hammered.

As for "objecting", I think I may have heard the phrase "If anyone here has a reason why these two should not be married..." once...maybe. While that line is in every movie and TV show, they almost never ask that question at a real wedding. Too bad. Maybe there would me more fun if they asked it.

I didn't go to my first authentic Jewish wedding until a few years ago. The Hora dance really was fun.

But if you want a party, nothing beats a Russian wedding. :ph34r:

Never been to a Russian wedding. Only Quebecois, Italian and Jewish so far although would be fun.

I saw one where the guy getting married had to be over 350 pounds. It must have taken 4-5 guys to pick up the chair lol

I kinda hate all major social gatherings. Unless it centers around something interesting. Weddings aren't one of those somethings. Have to go to Mexico in April for a wedding. Would rather not but its kind of business related as well so we have to.

I kinda hate all major social gatherings. Unless it centers around something interesting. Weddings aren't one of those somethings. Have to go to Mexico in April for a wedding. Would rather not but its kind of business related as well so we have to.

Free food and free booze = very interesting to me. Oh and socializing with people is very interesting too. Personal interaction has really been shot to hell the past few decades. I bet if weddings could be done on Facebook they'd be very popular.

Of course it's a money grab. At my brothers wedding my mom was pointing to all the people who didn't give an envelope. We even write down who gave what so we give the same back at their wedding. It's basically a pyramid scheme, the B word is, if you don't get married, you're getting !@#$ed over in the end.

my gf and i were just discussing this, and it has been brought up by friends recently as well. We are happy in our situation and dont plan on getting married anytime soon. but we sure could use the gifts/cash.

we're thinking about setting up a couple registries and sending out notices that look like invitations to all the people whose weddings we've gone to over the past 5 years (which is ALL of our friends).

ill let you know how that goes over...

I am not crazy about weddings...I have been to far too many in the last 3 or 4 years... now, in two weeks, I have to attend a renewal of vows ceremony for my girlfiends' sister and brother in-law, neither who I particularly care for...out of work, and I have to plunk down and buy another friggin' "wedding gift". These people are having the "wedding we couldn't afford 25 years ago" :devil:

Why would you subject your family and friends to this (all of whom have been to two large family weddings since November) to a renewal of your vows? Its' a beautiful idea, it really is, but keep it to yourselves. I have no problem with the renewal part, but really? You have to have 150 "guests" and a registry?

:nana::lol:B-)

Remember the red part above! :D