Now I know why you Southern Californians

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the big thing. I feel bad for my daughter, she hates the cold so she essentially has to play indoors for 4-6 months out of the year. it'd be awesome to have her be able to play outdoors all year round.

Yes but with earthquake, fire and mudslide seasons along with the smog alerts here she's have to say indoors 4-6 months out of the year here too. :wallbash:

I grew up 70's / 80's in the North County .. I could take my dirt bike or my Baja bug up the street and head out to Rancho Santa Fe and the old Del Dios highway on dirt roads through Black mountain to Cardiff, Salana and Encinitas/ chasing all the illegals into the tomato fields on the way..or walk out a half mile and shoot my rifles and hunt....I went back in 2001 and all that landscape was gone and mostly developed... filled with new mini neighborhoods, shopping centers and golf courses for miles and miles. Rancho Bernardo to La Costa to Poway to Esconddido.

Awesome memories, my wife grew up in San Diego and in the 70's and back then Del Mar was like driving to the boonies. Now the Interstate 5 corridor is completely developed. I have a sense of what your memories are like, I own a ranch beside a 4500 acre ag. preserve in San Pasqual Valley, lots of open space and very serene.

OK.

:doh:

All righ, all right, a little bit of exaggeration doesn't hurt. 2 months.

Also, when its >100 degrees every day for several weeks in July, everyone stays in. Chef Jim lives right in SF where it can be 30-40 degrees cooler than where I do (30 miles away).

All of those that B word typically have never visited let alone lived here.

I think people who see this stuff on CNN have no concept how big the state is. They see it a mud slide happening in some hilly neighborhood in LA somewhere and think the entire state is sliding in the ocean. My mother is a good example. If she sees a big brush fire in Valencia on the CBC she calls us in the East Bay and asks us if were ok. "Mom, its 300 miles away" Place is huge. All kinds of stuff going on all the time.

I think people who see this stuff on CNN have no concept how big the state is. They see it a mud slide happening in some hilly neighborhood in LA somewhere and think the entire state is sliding in the ocean. My mother is a good example. If she sees a big brush fire in Valencia on the CBC she calls us in the East Bay and asks us if were ok. "Mom, its 300 miles away" Place is huge. All kinds of stuff going on all the time.

That's funny. I lived in Santa Clara during the Northridge quake and my sister was calling to make sure i was alright. I had the same conversation. Oddly enough, when my town was on fire a year ago and we were evacuating while in the national news, I never heard from anyone. :thumbsup:

Oddly enough, when my town was on fire a year ago and we were evacuating while in the national news, I never heard from anyone. :thumbsup:

That's because you're not as popular as Beerball. Oh, and I've been waiting impatiently for a new russian bride avatar for quite some time from you.

That's funny. I lived in Santa Clara during the Northridge quake and my sister was calling to make sure i was alright. I had the same conversation. Oddly enough, when my town was on fire a year ago and we were evacuating while in the national news, I never heard from anyone. :thumbsup:

Thats because people don't care about you. Now if you really were that person in your avatar you would be getting all sorts of people offering to help you out! jk

That's because you're not as popular as Beerball. Oh, and I've been waiting impatiently for a new russian bride avatar for quite some time from you.

I guess I should clarify that, in the context of that comment about not hearing from anyone during the fires, I was referring to family. And I actually did hear from people on this board during the fires.

Now, I know better than to think I have anywhere near the popularity of Beerball. It takes a special person to have Steely holding a bedside vigil for you.

I guess I should clarify that, in the context of that comment about not hearing from anyone during the fires, I was referring to family. And I actually did hear from people on this board during the fires.

Now, I know better than to think I have anywhere near the popularity of Beerball. It takes a special person to have Steely holding a bedside vigil for you.

And don't expect steak and lobster from me.

You're getting bourbon.

Also, when its >100 degrees every day for several weeks in July, everyone stays in. Chef Jim lives right in SF where it can be 30-40 degrees cooler than where I do (30 miles away).

That is the time of year when folks usually go down to Oceanside to the beach....cooler down there and lots of fun stuff to do.

It can get VERY hot down here.....every place has its quirks.......I remember when I was stationed down in Cape Cod MA for a few months out of the year my son (then very young) would play a lot in the basement with his toys.....but we still got him outside to play in the snow usually by harnessing up our big dog to his snow sled and letting him cart him around (and me...) there is lots of fun stuff to do in the snow.

I would saw a big drawback is christmas time.....it would be really nice to have snow at Christmas.

That is the time of year when folks usually go down to Oceanside to the beach....cooler down there and lots of fun stuff to do.

It can get VERY hot down here.....every place has its quirks.......I remember when I was stationed down in Cape Cod MA for a few months out of the year my son (then very young) would play a lot in the basement with his toys.....but we still got him outside to play in the snow usually by harnessing up our big dog to his snow sled and letting him cart him around (and me...) there is lots of fun stuff to do in the snow.

I would saw a big drawback is christmas time.....it would be really nice to have snow at Christmas.

Skijoring!

Awesome memories, my wife grew up in San Diego and in the 70's and back then Del Mar was like driving to the boonies. Now the Interstate 5 corridor is completely developed. I have a sense of what your memories are like, I own a ranch beside a 4500 acre ag. preserve in San Pasqual Valley, lots of open space and very serene.

:doh:

I am about 15 miles inland from SF Bay and at 300 ft altitude. There are "hills" visible from here that are >3000 ft and a ridge I can see out my window that is 1000 ft. The ridge had a dusting on it once this year that melted about 2 hrs after sunrise and the peaks get snow several times a winter.