Obama's newest employment claim.

Miscalculation. :unsure: One person's miscalculation is an others bull ****.

And no he shouldn't be crucified however harshly criticized? Absolutely.

Constantly, never ending? Dear god all you people do is B word and moan on this board.

White House predicts an average of 95,000 new jobs each month.

Hooray! We're out of the woods now! Good Times Again!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

Wait, what's this inconvenient truth?

The economy needs to create 125,000 jobs per month to keep up with population growth

Which means in addition to the 8.4 million jobs lost, the economy is actually down about 11.4 jobs. Even with 95,000 new jobs each month this year will fall another 360,000 jobs further in the hole. It will take at least until mid 2015 at the earliest for payrolls to climb back to pre-recession levels.

....But wait.....

The $5k tax credit on hiring new employees will save us! I'm going to hire 6 or 7 new employees to offset the lack of business just to help boost his numbers.

....But wait.....

The $5k tax credit on hiring new employees will save us! I'm going to hire 6 or 7 new employees to offset the lack of business just to help boost his numbers.

I guess we should just get the money back we loaned to the big banks and give a portion of it to help small businesses? Oh that's right, not allowed to do that either.

I guess we should just get the money back we loaned to the big banks and give a portion of it to help small businesses? Oh that's right, not allowed to do that either.

...which has what to do with the meaningless $5k tax credit for hiring employees in a tanking economy full of layoffs and company shutdowns? Get the banks to start making small business loans again after the giant bailout. Oh wait, the government is powerless there, too.

...which has what to do with the meaningless $5k tax credit for hiring employees in a tanking economy full of layoffs and company shutdowns? Get the banks to start making small business loans again after the giant bailout. Oh wait, the government is powerless there, too.

You are right the big banks F'd us taxpayers. Get the money, shore up things, pay out bonuses, raise rates and then do nothing. No small business loans, etc. I agree with the idea of giving help to the small community banks, they are more likely to look out for the small businessman/woman.

I'm not trying to be critical of you just for the sake of being critical, but this statement right here illustrates more than anything your lack of understanding of the measures that took place in order to try to stabilize the capital markets. The reality is that you could give the banks trillions of dollars and wouldn't make much of a difference in regards to their willingness to want to lend.

If you are a bank, and you see that real unemployment is higher than it has been since the great depression, housing prices with virtually no possibility of significant appreciation on the horizon, consumer psychology extremely fragile due to their 401k's and home prices depreciating markedly and fear and uncertainty of new government regulations, taxes and mandates that will affect most businesses then it is only natural for banks to be extremely prudent regarding their lending standards.

The best thing that the government can do is to try to create a longterm, pro business environment and let businesses know now what the rules and taxes are going to look like. The longer the uncertainty the longer it prolongs the recovery. These measures that they are taking are ridiculous and do very little for long term growth, the CBO recently came out with a report saying that the $5000 tax credit would net some short term results but would be virtually ineffective for long term prospects. I've linked a few reports, which I'm pretty sure you havn't read them.

I'm not trying to be critical of you just for the sake of being critical, but this statement right here illustrates more than anything your lack of understanding of the measures that took place in order to try to stabilize the capital markets. The reality is that you could give the banks trillions of dollars and wouldn't make much of a difference in regards to their willingness to want to lend.

If you are a bank, and you see that real unemployment is higher than it has been since the great depression, housing prices with virtually no possibility of significant appreciation on the horizon, consumer psychology extremely fragile due to their 401k's and home prices depreciating markedly and fear and uncertainty of new government regulations, taxes and mandates that will affect most businesses then it is only natural for banks to be extremely prudent regarding their lending standards.

The best thing that the government can do is to try to create a longterm, pro business environment and let businesses know now what the rules and taxes are going to look like. The longer the uncertainty the longer it prolongs the recovery. These measures that they are taking are ridiculous and do very little for long term growth, the CBO recently came out with a report saying that the $5000 tax credit would net some short term results but would be virtually ineffective for long term prospects. I've linked a few reports, which I'm pretty sure you havn't read them.

Exactly, we gave them billions and they do not want to lend. That is a major problem right now. And let's face it, there is not a lot that can be done. I completely understand why banks do not want to or are hesitant lend as well. And thank you for assuming that I don't read your posts. I do. Since you are one of the more civil people here, I have no problem what-so-ever in listening to your thoughts on the matter. With that being said, you are completely right.

:lol:

Yeah, we should probably expect government to reign in big business despite the fact that they've done far worse to the American taxpayer and our way of life than every big business combined.

C'mon liberals. Keep defending them. <_<

Liberals? Dear god you are such a tool. No one here is expecting the government to completely reign in Big Business. However, something SHOULD be done to big business so it can't completely F over the country again. I guess you are happy that huge bonuses are being handed out after they received bailout money?

Liberals? Dear god you are such a tool. No one here is expecting the government to completely reign in Big Business. However, something SHOULD be done to big business so it can't completely F over the country again. I guess you are happy that huge bonuses are being handed out after they received bailout money?

Ah yes, another simpleton soundbyte from the nitwit whose understanding of business and economic issues couldn't possibly be more limited.

Keep 'em coming pee, you're on a roll lately!

Ah yes, another simpleton soundbyte from the nitwit whose understanding of business and economic issues couldn't possibly be more limited.

Keep 'em coming pee, you're on a roll lately!

Well are you happy with the bonuses? Way to avoid the subject. I want to see you defend them. Let me guess, they need to pay out the large bonuses to retain the best people... blah, blah, blah.

Well are you happy with the bonuses? Way to avoid the subject. I want to see you defend them. Let me guess, they need to pay out the large bonuses to retain the best people... blah, blah, blah.

Whose 'bonuses' exactly are you asking me opine on? Please provide a list. And also provide copies of any employment contracts that existed with those individuals so we might understand what legal obligations existed at the time.

Or did you just read some sensationalized headline a year ago and are still blathering about it despite having zero understanding of the issue?

Whose 'bonuses' exactly are you asking me opine on? Please provide a list. And also provide copies of any employment contracts that existed with those individuals so we might understand what legal obligations existed at the time.

Or did you just read some sensationalized headline a year ago and are still blathering about it despite having zero understanding of the issue?

Contract law and legal obligations are irrelevent. We established that when the administration gave GM to the unions and !@#$ed over the bondholders.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but didn't Dodd add an amendment at the last minute to ensure these guys got their bonuses?

You are right the big banks F'd us taxpayers. Get the money, shore up things, pay out bonuses, raise rates and then do nothing. No small business loans, etc. I agree with the idea of giving help to the small community banks, they are more likely to look out for the small businessman/woman.

I agree with you on the bonuses. They are the very definition of "obscene". When my business isn't making money, I don't take a paycheck.

Bongo News? Is that like Star Mag, or the National Enquirer?

For the record.

Unemployment data is always misleading. The numbers indicate the people making claims. When your benifits run out you are dropped from the books so to speak.

It's been that way for the decades!