Bad Scouting V. Bad Developing

There has been a lot of recent discussion about the Bill's draft history, in regards to them drafting players who did not cut it in the NFL. I have heard two arguements concerning this issue. One, the Bill's scouting department totally muffs on the draft every year and brings in prospects that end up not being able to compete in the pro level, or at least represent their high draft value as well as they should. The other side of the debate points more toward the coaching staff and their failure to properly teach and develop the green players.

I am going to choose the latter point. While the players that are drafted do have a responsibility to perform at a high level, they do require good teachers and motivators. If you compare the Bill's over the past five years to an upper echelon team, such as the Colts, Pats, or Chargers, the overall body language and motivation simply has not been there. Now i am well aware that it is as much of the palyers fault as it is the coaches, but the coach needs to be a leader in a sense and set the tone for the football team. Ralph Wilson could not have selected a more low key, non confrontational guy, when he selected Jauron. He was the worse type of coach we could have hired. His decisions regarding personnel were questionable and his mentality readiated through the entire team. There was never a sense of urgency or intensity with the Bills under jauron. They went into each game with the same attitude and almost expected to be defeated.

I like the Gailey hire not only because Gailey is a good teacher but because he knows how to win and he knows how to use the players he has to the best of their ability. I expect good things from Maybin this year. Gailey will utilize him to his full potential. Do not be disappointed if Gailey tries to develop Brohm. Alls i am saying Bills fans, is that not all of the players we have are complete busts. I think we will see a lot of improvements and a lot of surprises this year on the field. My dark horse for this year is Brian Brohm. Keep on eye on him. I think Chan will discover a diamond in the rough with Brohm. :D

i think there is a third condition which you are overlooking: good (enough) scouting, and good (enough) coaching, but decision makers not listening to the scouting and picking guys who they "like". it's already been leaked that multiple people wanted Cushing over Maybin. so who made that final decision? Ralph and Dick?

you can have the best scouts in the league, and good coaches. but if the brain trust isnt listening to their own scouts, then what can anyone else do?

i think there is a third condition which you are overlooking: good (enough) scouting, and good (enough) coaching, but decision makers not listening to the scouting and picking guys who they "like". it's already been leaked that multiple people wanted Cushing over Maybin. so who made that final decision? Ralph and Dick?

you can have the best scouts in the league, and good coaches. but if the brain trust isnt listening to their own scouts, then what can anyone else do?

well lets just pray that ralph keeps his hands out of the drafting departments this year. I know Nix will pick the right guys

There has been a lot of recent discussion about the Bill's draft history, in regards to them drafting players who did not cut it in the NFL. I have heard two arguements concerning this issue. One, the Bill's scouting department totally muffs on the draft every year and brings in prospects that end up not being able to compete in the pro level, or at least represent their high draft value as well as they should. The other side of the debate points more toward the coaching staff and their failure to properly teach and develop the green players.

I am going to choose the latter point. While the players that are drafted do have a responsibility to perform at a high level, they do require good teachers and motivators. If you compare the Bill's over the past five years to an upper echelon team, such as the Colts, Pats, or Chargers, the overall body language and motivation simply has not been there. Now i am well aware that it is as much of the palyers fault as it is the coaches, but the coach needs to be a leader in a sense and set the tone for the football team. Ralph Wilson could not have selected a more low key, non confrontational guy, when he selected Jauron. He was the worse type of coach we could have hired. His decisions regarding personnel were questionable and his mentality readiated through the entire team. There was never a sense of urgency or intensity with the Bills under jauron. They went into each game with the same attitude and almost expected to be defeated.

I like the Gailey hire not only because Gailey is a good teacher but because he knows how to win and he knows how to use the players he has to the best of their ability. I expect good things from Maybin this year. Gailey will utilize him to his full potential. Do not be disappointed if Gailey tries to develop Brohm. Alls i am saying Bills fans, is that not all of the players we have are complete busts. I think we will see a lot of improvements and a lot of surprises this year on the field. My dark horse for this year is Brian Brohm. Keep on eye on him. I think Chan will discover a diamond in the rough with Brohm. :D

I'm skeptical about Maybin. But yes - Gailey looks to be an improvement, and you are right about development and motivation. Here's hoping...

well lets just pray that ralph keeps his hands out of the drafting departments this year. I know Nix will pick the right guys

agreed, im hoping that in Nix, Ralph has found someone that he can trust with the keys to the car.

remember, he turned the entire franchise over to Donahoe and he drove it right into the ground with no insurance. i never blamed Ralph for trying the "committee" route after he got sandbagged by TD.

but i think (hope) that he has learned that he does in fact need a guy as head decision maker. one guy with a vision. one throat to choke as we say...

if he can let Nix do his thing, then I like our chances with Nix.

I have heard two arguements concerning this issue. One, the Bill's scouting department totally muffs on the draft every year and brings in prospects that end up not being able to compete in the pro level, or at least represent their high draft value as well as they should. The other side of the debate points more toward the coaching staff and their failure to properly teach and develop the green players.

or a combination of the two, which I think has been the case.

I think it's also a good idea to get some vet FA's in who can be mostly teachers to the younger players, rather than actual playmakers. If they don't break the bank, that is. Success breeds success.

The thing that drives me nuts is how we seem (and I emphasize the worse SEEM) because somebody else might look at this differently....

but it SEEMS to me that we seem to not get the best player we could with the 1st round pick and other players we draft seem to stick.....for crying out loud D. Bell was a 7th round pick wasn't he? And it wasn't long before bills brass were trying to start him at left tackle.

But jesus we seem to have a lot of 1st rounders that dont live up to their billing.....these are the guys that you pay the most money to......have the most investment in....these guys need to be INSTANT starters......

For all of my defense of Maybin......for crying out loud he was a very high pick and he gave us NOTHING in his first year.........I wouldn't even call it average play I would call it NO play. We have whiffed on a OT REALLY high....we have a running back that has had off the field issues.......a Safety who has not lived up to his billing

We NEED to start drafting the RIGHT guys. I think that is really setting this team back whiffing so bad on that 1st round pick.

We NEED to start drafting the RIGHT guys. I think that is really setting this team back whiffing so bad on that 1st round pick.

that is a huge part of the situation we are in. it "seems" as though we also have a bad habbit of letting the players we do develope go for nothing, or close to it. so yes, hitting on the high end of the draft would be great, developing said talent and utilizing it to the highest potential would be great. and keeping these players so we do not have to use draft picks musical chair style to get their replacements would also be nice. let's work on fixing what is, in fact, broken.

Anyone else wondering what kind of QB J.P might have evolved into if Gailey had been our head coach at the time? J.P had ALL the tools. HUGE arm, mobility etc. He just suffered from too little guidance and multiple doofus OC's.

not to mention he wanted so much to be a buffalo guy. just too bad he sounded a bit too much like jeff spiccoli.