Does the Gailey hire mean big moves?

billsfan89

I'd say Thigpen in a trade and Tebow if he's there in the 2nd. I would find it entertaining. They could trade down to get more 2nd round picks and pick up our NT of the future other holes filled in other trades and FA. I wouldn't be surprized to see someone in the 2ndary go on the block (witner for example, although I do like him he isn't all that at times either).

I don't see him selling that big in Buffalo. Jacksonville or Miami or TB or Atlata maybe. But not here. I wouldn't be excited. Unless he started winning games of course.

Bills fans will buy anything and everything this team does.

The Bills retained Dick last year after totally imploding and the fans set season ticket sales records.

even when Ralph takes the payroll under $75 mil, the fans will laud him for his genius in preparing for the lockout in 2011 - and break last year's sales records

Bills fans will buy anything and everything this team does.

The Bills retained Dick last year after totally imploding and the fans set season ticket sales records.

even when Ralph takes the payroll under $75 mil, the fans will laud him for his genius in preparing for the lockout in 2011 - and break last year's sales records

Are you not a Bills fan? If not then why are you here?

Bills fans are smart. They just need to make a few solid FA moves and another strong draft. Play on the field will sell tickets.

I wish that were true, but Bills fans are suckers for a PR/Marketing ploy. We gave TO the key to the city and had hundreds of people at the airport for his arrival!!! TO made the general fan base put on the blinders to the fact that we had a Jauron coached team and poor talent on the roster (see season ticket/jersey sales).

I wouldn't go so far as to call all season ticket holders as smart, as it does seem that TO drew quite a bit of attention with his signing last season- myself included.

But Nix has already said how he was going to build the team: through the draft.

Indeed, Nix's tenure in beautiful San Diego was built that way, and rather quickly, and by keeping free agent signings as stop-gap, solid player-type of deals. Switching to a 3-4, and with the tackle holes that we have on our offensive line, I would not be surprised to see the bulk of any free agent signings to be on the defensive side of the ball.

Parcells builds a team the same way. He reaches out to players he is familiar with that can establish the type of environment he strives for, then builds and replaces these players when they eventually fade.

That is why I would not have a problem with a 1-2 year deal for a Jeff Garcia and/ or a Joey Porter.

If it has worked for Parcells, there is no reason why it would not work in Buffalo and Nix/ Whaley.

As long as they don't blow this and get some Vick or Campbell, I'm stoked about this upcoming offseason and draft!

GO BILLS!

I think the Bills success and the excitement it will illicit will be done step by step. So far I like all the coaches Gailey has brought in, the switch to the 3-4, and the whole mindset that they will evaluate all the players and what needs to be done for the future step by step. Unlike most new coaches these guys don't feel compelled to either praise the current players or make it clear that everything is going to change now that they are here. Donahoe, Williams, Mularkey, and Jauron did not talk or proceed anything like this current group of Nix, Gailey and his assistants are currently doing. I predict they will succeed and bring a new winning mentality and the playoffs soon. I like the fact they have ideas of what they will do but also will be flexible to bring out the talents of the players actually on the field at any given time.

I think the Bills success and the excitement it will illicit will be done step by step. So far I like all the coaches Gailey has brought in, the switch to the 3-4, and the whole mindset that they will evaluate all the players and what needs to be done for the future step by step. Unlike most new coaches these guys don't feel compelled to either praise the current players or make it clear that everything is going to change now that they are here. Donahoe, Williams, Mularkey, and Jauron did not talk or proceed anything like this current group of Nix, Gailey and his assistants are currently doing. I predict they will succeed and bring a new winning mentality and the playoffs soon. I like the fact they have ideas of what they will do but also will be flexible to bring out the talents of the players actually on the field at any given time.

Agreed.

Too many predecessors have been too much "yes men" and gone with the flow.

Now with Donahoe and Guy gone, and hopefully Overdorf put in his proper place, we have an organizational structure that is built to succeed.

I like the Whaley signing from a team that always seems to strike it big on free agent signings and draft picks.

But Nix has already said how he was going to build the team: through the draft.

Indeed, Nix's tenure in beautiful San Diego was built that way, and rather quickly, and by keeping free agent signings as stop-gap, solid player-type of deals. Switching to a 3-4, and with the tackle holes that we have on our offensive line, I would not be surprised to see the bulk of any free agent signings to be on the defensive side of the ball.

Parcells builds a team the same way. He reaches out to players he is familiar with that can establish the type of environment he strives for, then builds and replaces these players when they eventually fade.

If it has worked for Parcells, there is no reason why it would not work in Buffalo and Nix/ Whaley.

GO BILLS!

Everyone in the NFL says they're going to build through the draft. Heck, Dick Levy said it as well, and that didn't work out so well. And even if the front office is better, there really aren't many building blocks in place. They've got to find so many pieces and hard to find positions: Rush OLB, LT, QB, et al.

Which teams has Buddy Nix personally led that were rebuilt? He was first the Pro Personnel Director in SD, and didn't even live in the city the team was in. His address was Tennessee, so day to day activities weren't his responsibility. We're back to arguing how much of it was AJ Smith, and how much credit Nix should get. I'd go with the guy who showed up at Qualcomm most days.

Comparing Parcells, who has been at the forefront of rebuilding the Giants, Jets, Patriots, and Cowboys, to Nix/Gailey is insanity. And the thought that the front office will get to spend some money is a joke as well. Teams are going to spend less in 2010, primarily because there's no cap floor. Everyone's waiting to see what happens labor-wise, so the Bills rebuilding might not get off to a great start. Talk about starting all over again.

Another thing I would like to point out is that yes Buddy Nix would like to build through the draft. BUT just because you want the draft to be the focal point of what you are doing with the team doesn't mean you don't need free agency. Think about it we have an offense that has been in the bottom third of the league for quite some time and are completely switching things up with our front 7 on the defensive side of the ball.

Now even if we fill needs in rounds 1, 2, and 3 we are still going to have holes on this team that simply can't be filled with picks in rounds 4-7. I like to believe that we are going to make smart prudent acquisitions in free agency to supplement what we are planning on doing with this team in the future.

As I said signing guys like Jarvis Green, Joey Porter, and Jason Ferguson aren't long term answers but rather short term stop gaps to bring respectability to the scheme and to allow drafting of more important positions.