Chris Ellis to be tried at LB

Steely Dan

IIRC Ellis was thought of more of a 3-4 backer than DE at draft time. This was an expected move, its not like he was going to stay at DE. I dont expect much from him or Maybin though.

This.

Either you can play or you can't. If Ellis or Maybin could make plays, they would be doing it from DE as well, at least occasionally. I know Maybin is very green so we can give him another year to show something, but I haven't seen many signs from either player in their time in Buffalo.

Nobody. I was joking. Our projected MLBers are actually bigger than a lot of 3-4 MLBers. Look at the Steelers, Farrior about 245-250 and Timmons about 235. The Bills Mitchell 253 and Posluszny about 250.

OK, I am a huge research guy if I post something I have done my research and please don't complain if our DEs don't put up monster sack #'s it isn't a bad thing for a DE to only get 6 or 7 sacks unlike our current D it is the main responsability of the line to eat up the O-line.

You mean like the 253 lb Mitchell and right around 250 lb Paul Posluszny? Oh yeah, all other teams except the Bills in the NFL have 275 lb inside LBers........

just a sample from the AFC east:

Gary Guyton (NE) - 6'3" 245

Jerod Mayo (NE) - 6'1" 245

Channing Crowder (Mia) - 6'2" 250

Akin Ayodele (Mia) - 6'2" 245

Reggie Torbor (Mia) - 6'2" 250

David Harris (NYJ) - 6'2" 245

Bart Scott (NYJ) - 6'2" 240

and the Pro Bowl:

Ray Lewis (Bal) - 6'1" 250

Patrick Willis (SF) - 6'1" 240

:)

EDIT: oops didn't realize you were joking...

I'm just taking a poke at all the posters who for whatever reason think Pos or Mitchell would be undersized in a 3-4. As for 3-4 ends manbeast, I didn't even mention them but am fully aware they are suposed to be about 295-305 lb space-eaters with a bonus being some athletic pass rush ability. I believe Stroud fits at LE and maybe, maybe a combo of Schobel and Spencer Johnson could get it done at RE. Unfortunately, we are putting faith in Ellis and Maybin to put up the big sack #s at OLB.........we'll see how that goes.............

who

i am trying really hard to find an ILB that weighs 275

Ray Lewis 250 T.Gooden 242

B.Scott 240 D.Harris 245

NE 240 and 245

do you need me to keep going I typer these three but I have search alot more before you post do your research.

those two are actually the right size and speed.

becasue they are not any. that guy was totally of.

ILB are around 245 and OLBs vary more in a 3-4 from 230s-260s. We will be able to use ellis, and maybin as pass rushing OLBs only, not more so in coverage. Not sure where this leaves schobel though. I actually started to like ellison last year. the guy is getting better. perhaps we trade him. otherwise, i can't see him anywhere but in a coverage 3-4 spot or backup for ILB. but he would be a solid backup behind Poz and Mitchell.

predicted LBs for us as of now - Maybin ___ Mitchell____ Poz___ Schobel.... and this is assuming Maybin learns how to cover a RB or TE which in no way am I convinced he can. but schobel is really best suited played the 7 tech closer to the line as a pass rusher only. we will see, these guys have a plan...

Ellis ran a reported 4.56 at his pro day and was considered a better fit as a 3-4 LB coming out anyways so maybe it works out. We need to have a couple surprises to make the new D work and I hope this is one of those surprises.

Agreed. This is thinking outside the box and I think we have some true sleepers on this roster and potentially Ellis is #1 sleeper/project. He has a chance and isnt a converted safety. We might actually hit some folks and DICTATE what they do for once!

I am calling it now. Bills make the playoffs this year. Have a feeling.

Agreed. This is thinking outside the box and I think we have some true sleepers on this roster and potentially Ellis is #1 sleeper/project. He has a chance and isnt a converted safety. We might actually hit some folks and DICTATE what they do for once!

Where do you buy you're kool-aid???

One more time I was joking rpcoloi. Like I said as 3-4 ILBers Pos and Mitchell are actually bigger than most tandems. I don't believe Schobel moves, I think they rotate him and Johnson. What we all should fear is Maybin and Ellis in pass coverage. :)

For years, and years, and years...zzzzzzzzz.

:)

This.

Either you can play or you can't. If Ellis or Maybin could make plays, they would be doing it from DE as well, at least occasionally. I know Maybin is very green so we can give him another year to show something, but I haven't seen many signs from either player in their time in Buffalo.

Shhh. Don't upset things.

He's 6'4" and 261 pounds. Maybin is 6'4" and 250 pounds. If he and Maybin can become above average players it would be a real boon to the Bills ability to run a 3-4. It also would be a very painful hit when getting sacked.

With Ellis' size I wonder if ILB wouldn't be a better fit for him. I don't recall him being particularly fast.

He ran a fast time before the draft, not that that always means anything.

I'm just taking a poke at all the posters who for whatever reason think Pos or Mitchell would be undersized in a 3-4. As for 3-4 ends manbeast, I didn't even mention them but am fully aware they are suposed to be about 295-305 lb space-eaters with a bonus being some athletic pass rush ability. I believe Stroud fits at LE and maybe, maybe a combo of Schobel and Spencer Johnson could get it done at RE. Unfortunately, we are putting faith in Ellis and Maybin to put up the big sack #s at OLB.........we'll see how that goes.............

You do of course realize that it will take more than a change in alignment to make Poz and Mitchell effective? Both players were hampered with 4 D linemen in front of them, having one less isn't going to exactly make their jobs easier.

I don't know how this is going to work out, but putting faith in Ellis or Maybin for sacks let alone tackles is a risky venture. I really hope both players are able to hit their stride but I'm not expecting miracles. On a scale of 1-10 I'd put Ellis' chances at a 6 and Maybin a 5.

"Your" would be the correct word...but alas, I drink beer no kool-aid. Take it to the bank. Bills playoff bound with Chan this yr.

Mitchell - Poz - McClain - Maybin (plus Ellis and some draft picks)....

Brohm, please step up.