Chris Ellis to be tried at LB

Steely Dan

http://www.kffl.com/team/9/nfl

Bills | Ellis likely will play LB

Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:58:26 -0800

Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports Buffalo Bills DE Chris Ellis likely will be used as an outside linebacker in the team's 3-4 defensive alignment.

I can't find the article on the Bills website.

I really hated this pick but if he turns out to be a better LB than Ellison it might have been worth it in a roundabout way.

Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports Buffalo Bills DE Chris Ellis likely will be used as an outside linebacker in the team's 3-4 defensive alignment.

I really hated this pick but if he turns out to be a better LB than Ellison it might have been worth it in a roundabout way.

Let's hope it works out for him and the team. Go Hokies!

He's 6'4" and 261 pounds. Maybin is 6'4" and 250 pounds. If he and Maybin can become above average players it would be a real boon to the Bills ability to run a 3-4. It also would be a very painful hit when getting sacked.

With Ellis' size I wonder if ILB wouldn't be a better fit for him. I don't recall him being particularly fast.

it was buried in the article about retaining DeMonte Cross. Bob Sanders will now coach OLBs and Cross handles the ILBs.

It’s believed that Sanders will work closely with young pass rushers Aaron Maybin and Chris Ellis, who are likely to be transitioned to outside linebacker in Buffalo’s new defensive scheme.

I think the issue most people here have with the decision to transition to a 3-4 is that our personnel might not fit it, and that it just adds maybe four or five new starters necessary on defensive to run it effectively, which, coupled with our offensive needs puts us at need of maybe nine new starters to be competitive. However, there's no denying that by running a 3-4 our offense should be better equipped to compete in our division, and that the Bills recent (albeit 10 years ago and more) success on defensive came in a 3-4. It would be a huge bonus for our team if we had starters for all the linebacker spots already on the team, and if Schobel stays, that's a situational 5th rusher. We could theoretically be in need, then, of only a DE and NT to fill out the team, and to have it look good on D.

I still think, though, if Rolando McClain is available at nine he'd be worth adding.

Well said olaffub. McClain could probably play any LB spot in the 3-4 and be an upgrade at any of them for us. I prefer QB/LT, but sure wouldn't be angry if we selected McClain. As for Maybin and Ellis, we'll see, lots of work in the pass coverage department, as well as getting stronger. Look at Steelers OLBers....very stout as well as being decent in coverage. We know Maybin is weak, and I believe coming out Ellis only had like a personal best 355 bench press. Lots of work to be done on these two cats........

He's 6'4" and 261 pounds. Maybin is 6'4" and 250 pounds. If he and Maybin can become above average players it would be a real boon to the Bills ability to run a 3-4. It also would be a very painful hit when getting sacked.

With Ellis' size I wonder if ILB wouldn't be a better fit for him. I don't recall him being particularly fast.

So what's the typical size for a DE and LB?

ILBs are smaller and faster in a 3-4 the OLBs are Pass rushers thats why 4-3 DEs are converted to or in the case of the draft projected as OLBs in the 3-4. the ILBs are generaly smaller and faster just not really as small as some of the ones on our roster.

So what's the typical size for a DE and LB?

The listed weights of these two are your typical OLBs a 3-4 DE usually approaches 270-310 Richard Seymour has a list weight of just a hair over 300 Suh is projected as a DT or a 3-4 DE not as a NT. Peppers wants to play OLB in a 3-4 rather than DE in a 4-3.

sometimes a players can negate the size requirments with strength speed and conditioning

You mean like the 253 lb Mitchell and right around 250 lb Paul Posluszny? Oh yeah, all other teams except the Bills in the NFL have 275 lb inside LBers........

who

i am trying really hard to find an ILB that weighs 275

Ray Lewis 250 T.Gooden 242

B.Scott 240 D.Harris 245

NE 240 and 245

do you need me to keep going I typer these three but I have search alot more before you post do your research.

those two are actually the right size and speed.