Whitner just signed with Condon

Dawgg

Jeez. Condon is really taking anybody as a client, including a guy who was basically rendered useless thanks to a converted WR and a rookie. Do you think he'll return Donte's call as fast as he does Peyton, Eli or LT? I'm guessing Donte goes directly to voice mail.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of Whitner's friends must have talked Condon into it. This sounds like Ari Gold signing Johnny Drama. No doubt Whitner will get passed off to someone like Lloyd.

Well said, however I feel the OP is greatly exaggerating the effect of this Condon guy.

There are several top flight agents, and then everyone else. Let's not get our panties in a bunch "Dawgg."

First of all, Whitner wasn't outplayed by a rookie. The plan in drafting Byrd was to have him play free safety (where he was projected to excel as a pro) and Whitner could settle at the spot SS he was drafted to play. Second, Whitner is under contract. Now, maybe he hired Condon to help with an extension or in the event of a trade, have a new contract worked out with a new team. Either way he hired Condon to help with his next contract. If he is looking at a pay raise maybe I explore some trade options, but if he only wants just inside top 10 SS money (where he belongs), keep him and don't create an unneccessary hole. You people who want Scott or Wilson as a full season starter are a bunch of fools. If it didn't mean a step back for the Bills I almost wish you people (oh yeah, I just called you guys "you people" again) would get your wish so you could end up seeing what a bunch of jackasses "you people" are. Look, I'm sorry we didn't draft Ngata instead too, but hopefully that s**t stops this year with some real "football people" running the show.

It's amazing how a guy's draft position really effects how we think of their performance. It's all relative I guess. Donte is an average but certainly not spectacular safety. The fact he was taken 8th overall just poisons our perception of him. I wouldn't be surprised if he went someplace and played fairly well but he certainly has not performed anywhere near what we expected of him.

RTB

First of all, Whitner wasn't outplayed by a rookie. The plan in drafting Byrd was to have him play free safety (where he was projected to excel as a pro) and Whitner could settle at the spot SS he was drafted to play. Second, Whitner is under contract. Now, maybe he hired Condon to help with an extension or in the event of a trade, have a new contract worked out with a new team. Either way he hired Condon to help with his next contract. If he is looking at a pay raise maybe I explore some trade options, but if he only wants just inside top 10 SS money (where he belongs), keep him and don't create an unneccessary hole. You people who want Scott or Wilson as a full season starter are a bunch of fools. If it didn't mean a step back for the Bills I almost wish you people (oh yeah, I just called you guys "you people" again) would get your wish so you could end up seeing what a bunch of jackasses "you people" are. Look, I'm sorry we didn't draft Ngata instead too, but hopefully that s**t stops this year with some real "football people" running the show.

Wow. Thank you. The first post in the thread with actual merit.

I have been entertained by people's perception of our safety depth chart as well, but I think I value George Wilson a little higher than you. I'm not saying I want him as a full season starter, but I think he has more value than you seem to give him. He's a playmaker, and that can be one of the most important roles on a winning defense. I think Wilson can be a very capable back-up free safety, and I'd like to see him get some time in on passing downs. Overall though, I think it is quite undoubted that Whitner is the best SS on our team. He's not shaping out to be a top 5 SS that would warrant such a high pick, and it really is sad that Ngata was passed, but like you said, we have to move on. Clearly he is capable and a starter on most teams, so I don't think we should be in the business of dumping him because he hasn't lived up to the top ten pick hype.

The guy is our best SS, pay him, keep him or trade him whatever, but let's not continue to laugh off his name in every thread because he has a ton more value than most people here realize.

Wow. Thank you. The first post in the thread with actual merit.

I have been entertained by people's perception of our safety depth chart as well, but I think I value George Wilson a little higher than you. I'm not saying I want him as a full season starter, but I think he has more value than you seem to give him. He's a playmaker, and that can be one of the most important roles on a winning defense. I think Wilson can be a very capable back-up free safety, and I'd like to see him get some time in on passing downs. Overall though, I think it is quite undoubted that Whitner is the best SS on our team. He's not shaping out to be a top 5 SS that would warrant such a high pick, and it really is sad that Ngata was passed, but like you said, we have to move on. Clearly he is capable and a starter on most teams, so I don't think we should be in the business of dumping him because he hasn't lived up to the top ten pick hype.

The guy is our best SS, pay him, keep him or trade him whatever, but let's not continue to laugh off his name in every thread because he has a ton more value than most people here realize.

Really?? He was replaced by Wilson. He was not a rookie last year. He was benched.

Yet he is still "our best SS"?

I hear a lot of talk about being a "playmaker" around here.

If interceptions just starting falling like apples into Donte's hands next season, will he then be a playmaker?

I love the success that Jairus Byrd enjoyed last season and I hope that he is a fixture on this team for years to come...he seems to have good hands and a good attitude. But you have to admit that most of his INTs this season were a case of being in the right place at the right time. Balls were thrown five yards over a receiver's head and Jairus happened to be there. Balls were tipped up into the air, and fell right into his hands. By my count, there were only two or three interceptions out of the nine where I said "That was a nice play". I don't think even one of them was the result of him jumping a route.

When a player on the Bills has a lot of tackles, everybody says "Yeah, but how many of them were after 5 yards?". When a player has a lot of interceptions, nobody says "Yeah, but how many were thrown right to him or tipped?" Why not? It's a legitimate question.

My point is...If Whitner gets 9 interceptions next year, I think you'll all be singing a different tune, even if its just a matter of him getting lucky. The typical football fan's individual player analysis is a lot like this..."Player X is a playmaker. Player Y is NOT a playmaker." Freddy is awesome, Marshawn sucks. Jairus is God, Donte is Satan. Losman is horrible, Edwards is the savior. Sound familiar? Pretty simplistic analysis for such a complicated sport.

The one time we all heaped praise on Whitner was after the win against Tampa Bay where he took an INT back for a touchdown. But what did he actually do? The receiver was wide open, and Leftwich (being a terrible quarterback) threw an easy pass waaaay over his head...at which point Whitner got a very easy interception and basically walked into the endzone. I could have done that if I were faster!

I agree that Whitner has not proven himself to be a very good player yet...he's been quite the disappointment for an 8th overall pick. Bad coverage, lousy tackling, seemingly bad instincts. However, the following are not legitimate claims as to why he sucks...

1. "He's just not a playmaker"

2. "He got trucked by Sammy Morris!"

3. "I don't like what he says on Twitter."

4. "He guaranteed us the playoffs and he was wrong!"