Do This - Bills Playoff Bound!!

ChanOverChin

The critical positions (QB, LT, NT) must be filled as the Bills approach the draft.

One approach would be to fill the QB position with a veteran QB since the top two QBs in the draft may not be available at #9, then draft a QB in the mid rounds of the draft to develop for the future. The Bills desperately need to fill the most important position on the O-line (i.e. the LT spot), which they won't likely be able to fill via FA. They might be able to sign a UFA RT, but not likely a UFA LT.

My approach would be as follows:

1. Acquire QB McNabb via a R4 pick. The Eagles are looking to unload McNabb and go with the young, talented K. Kolb. McNabb will give the Bills a fighting chance right away until the Bills are able to find a QB for the long term.

2. Trade down in R1 to the #12-#16 range to acquire an additional R2 pick. Let's face it, the Bills have many holes to fill and they need more high value picks to fill them adequately. Use the traded down R1 pick to draft a starting LT.

3. Sign a UFA NT like V. Wolkork, C. Hampton or J. Ferguson prior to the draft. The Bills need a T. Washington type NT to build their new 3-4 defense around. Back when Washington stood in the middle of the D-line and Cottrell commanded the 3-4 the Bills were one of the top defenses in the league.

With those three critcal holes filled the Bills could then plan to take aim at selecting the best players available in the draft at their highest need positions.

From the scenario above, they would have the following remaining picks:

R2, R2, R3, R5, R6, R6, R7, R7. (They start with extra picks in R6 and R7 and acquire an extra R2 pick, but trade a R4 pick for McNabb).

Depending upon what the new coaching staff is looking for there could be a number of existing players that may be traded or outright released. Those players might include: Traded category - QB Fitzpatrick (more trade value than Edwards), RB Lynch (bad apple), WR Reed (not worth his salary). Released category - WR T. Owens (high salary), DE Denney (high salary).

This may be a stretch, but obtaining more picks for Fitzpatrick (R5), Lynch (R2/R6), and Reed (R4) would give the Bills these picks to help improve their roster: R2,R2,R2,R3,R4,R5,R5,R6,R6,R7,R7,R7 (plus the R1 that they already would have used on the LT).

Then they could seek to build the team mostly through the draft while picking up a few veteran players as well.

Possible 2010 starting lineup:

QB: D. McNabb

RB: F. Jackson

TE: Nelson

WR: Evans, D. Mason, R2 (Hardy)

LT: R1

LG: Levitre

OC Wood

RG: Incognito

RT: C. Clifton

NT: Wilfork

DT: Stroud, Seymour (Williams)

OLB: Schobel, Kampman (Maybin)

ILB: Mitchell, Dansby (Poz)

CB: McKelvin, McGee

S: Whitner, Byrd

K/P: Lindell/Moorman.

The critical positions (QB, LT, NT) must be filled as the Bills approach the draft.

One approach would be to fill the QB position with a veteran QB since the top two QBs in the draft may not be available at #9, then draft a QB in the mid rounds of the draft to develop for the future. The Bills desperately need to fill the most important position on the O-line (i.e. the LT spot), which they won't likely be able to fill via FA. They might be able to sign a UFA RT, but not likely a UFA LT.

1. Acquire QB McNabb via a R4 pick. The Eagles are looking to unload McNabb and go with the young, talented K. Kolb. McNabb will give the Bills a fighting chance right away until the Bills are able to find a QB for the long term.

2. Trade down in R1 to the #12-#16 range to acquire an additional R2 pick. Let's face it, the Bills have many holes to fill and they need more high value picks to fill them adequately. Use the traded down R1 pick to draft a starting LT.

3. Sign a UFA NT like V. Wolkork, C. Hampton or J. Ferguson prior to the draft. The Bills need a T. Washington type NT to build their new 3-4 defense around. Back when Washington stood in the middle of the D-line and Cottrell commanded the 3-4 the Bills were one of the top defenses in the league.

With those three critcal holes filled the Bills could then plan to take aim at selecting the best players available in the draft at their highest need positions.

R2, R2, R3, R5, R6, R6, R7, R7. (They start with extra picks in R6 and R7 and acquire an extra R2 pick, but trade a R4 pick for McNabb).

Depending upon what the new coaching staff is looking for there could be a number of existing players that may be traded or outright released. Those players might include: Traded category - QB Fitzpatrick (more trade value than Edwards), RB Lynch (bad apple), WR Reed (not worth his salary). Released category - WR T. Owens (high salary), DE Denney (high salary).

This may be a stretch, but obtaining more picks for Fitzpatrick (R5), Lynch (R2/R6), and Reed (R4) would give the Bills these picks to help improve their roster: R2,R2,R2,R3,R4,R5,R5,R6,R6,R7,R7,R7 (plus the R1 that they already would have used on the LT).

Then they could seek to build the team mostly through the draft while picking up a few veteran players as well.

OC Wood

so you really think Nix will bring in Mcnab, Mason, clifton, wilfork, seymour, Kampfmen, and dansby...

NOT A CHANCE IN HELL...After the whole "I don't believe in bringing in high priced players" speech, keep dreamin man, wishful thinking, and i can appreciate the creativity, but there's no way this happens.

While I like the spirit of your post, here is where I differ:

- I do not like the idea of McNabb coming here as I do not think highly of him. If we get him, it should be a pure 'caretaker' role in which case we better have a long term plan at QB. Problem is that if we draft a QB high, we may have to compromise on building the OL, which is undesirable. In short, I wouldn't mind McNabb if we acquire two solid OTs and draft a promising QB.

- Re: Wilfork, he may be adequate now but don't know how many good years he has left in him. That said, we will badly need a NT if we indeed switch to the 3-4 this year. My recommendation is to not do that and continue with the D we have while using this offseason primarily to fix the O

- You are dreaming if you think we can get ANY pick for Fitzpatrick or Reed. Also, we may need Fitzy as backup depending on what we actually do for the starter

- TO signed a one year contract so we cannot 'release' him. In any case, even though I hated his many dropsies, I think we should keep him around for atleast one more year while we see if Hardy may ever amount to much coming back from injuries and such

I'd rather go with Butler/Bell/Meredith than Clifton at RT. Not sure if a 4th round pick is realistic for McNabb, John Clayton speculated a 2nd. Would like to see them sign an NT, but Wilfork is not likely to become a UFA. Josh Reed is a UFA, they can't trade him. They're not getting a 2nd round pick for Lynch - maybe a 4th. I do like the idea of trading down in the draft if possible and still having a chance at an OT. All of the other free agent signings seems unlikely.

Signing the hot 3-4 DL as a UFA would be the easiest item on that list, and even that's presuming the Bills offer the most cash, perhaps by a wide margin.

I sincerely doubt McNabb is coming for a R4 pick. Other competitors vying for his services, two of them already known, will drive up the price. At a premium position, McNabb is older but hardly damaged goods. He should fetch at least a 2nd-3rd rounder where an older Favre, thought of to be in decline, fetched a conditional pick that ended up being a third (and could have been a first).

If Philly is willing to go the conditional pick route with us, I'd send them the exact same structure for a deal that netted Favre: at least a 4th, a 3rd with 50% of snaps played, a 2nd with 70% played+playoffs, and 1st for a Super Bowl appearance. I think the Bills would ultimately need to offer more, though, considering that they need a QB very badly and that McNabb is a good deal younger than Favre was at the time of the deal. I'd offer as much as a conditional 2011 pick with this structure, and our third this year.

Trade downs are great, but everybody wants to trade down, still net the guy they want, and get extra picks. You have to find a willing partner who thinks that the guy they've targeted will not be available at their spot. That's unlikely to happen with a team just 3-7 picks down from the Bills. In Buffalo's case, they could trade down and find themselves without a premium player to pick -- a bad position to be in, as well.

OC Wood

As much as I would love this excluding Kampman he trie OLB in GB and bombed they would never trade Mcnabb for a 3rd let alone a 4th I have heard rumors of Lynch for McNabb Hampton is probably our NT I believe we can trade down and still get an OT 6 OTs have a top 25 grade but our value is 17 and 49 which would be TEN but they traded 49 to NE last year so some one else would have to realy want someone and there is the fact that alot of 1-15 may take a T. So we may end up with someone that hits their stride mid season or next year. I am startingto realy like Lefavour.

You lost me when you said getting Mcnabb for a 4th round pick? no chance in hell.

The eagles will try for a 1st they might get a 2nd. Bills need the higher round picks. Trading away picks for a 34 year old QB is a bad idea.