For those who want a QB in the draft

BeastMode54

I am serious. We took two olineman day one last year. Do you want to take two more this year? There's something called free agency where a stop-gap can be signed at LT.

What exactly is your point about trading away Peters?

At some point your going to have to go after your QB if he's there on the draftboard and not build your 0-line forever.. We already tried bringing in big time free agents too..that didn't work...we have young players on the O-line already, let them develop further.

And again, who says that the QB would have to start from day one and not just sit a year?

Once again, I defy you or anyone else to show me an instance in which a top LT is traded. I can think of 2: Willie Roaf (and there were alleged marital issues involving a teammate), and Leon Gray in the Eric Dickerson trade. Do you have some more to update me?

So, we gained 2 good OGs (assuming Wood comes back) and lost a top LT, only to replace him with garbage. Also we seem to be counting on a historically brittle Butler to play RT. I suggest to you that this cannot work.

Despite ALL of the above, I wouldn't be adverse to a big guy on the front 7 in round 1. I would be thrilled with McClain, or a top DT. My point is that we are small and weak, and will not win like this. I want a qb as much as you, but I would prefer that he stays in 1 piece. Do you see at all what I am getting at?

Big difference is Brees didn't have that injury coming out of college he had an injury after he had established himself as a pro QB. Another big difference is that Brees was drafted in the 2nd round. If we could get him in the 2nd yeah in a heart beat but at pick 9 pass.

That's not a big difference at all. Point is, if your sole reason is that Bradford's injury makes him questionable for the future, just look at Brees. Who cares when the injury occurred to Brees since we're just talking purely about recovery (and they both had Dr. Andrews I believe). Jim Kelly had shoulder issues coming out of college too.

Also, there's a reason why Bradford probably won't last until the 2nd round. If he had come out last year he would've been the clear-cut number 1 pick overall.

But, we'll see come the draft. No point in arguing anymore. gotta go shovel snow.

Cincyman, the Bills are small, weak, and play in extreme elements. We are in a different situaton than other teams. They need to be big, strong and aggressive. There is no other way for them to compete. The entire mindset must change. This is a team who traded away a top Left Tackle, and what I am telling you is that no other team does this.

The Lions play in a dome. I like Stafford a lot and think they were smart to draft him. Stafford on the Bills would be just another injured body twisting on the turf.

Bill....I agree with you that that pick should be go to a OL, DL, or McClain.....

But one thing I keep hearing and not just you....is what the make up of what the team "is".....

- Gan Gailey is known for wanting to establish the run in his offenses

- Nix has made his opinion on players and it to me it spells doom for our smallish players on this team.

- We officially ended last season and now have a whole offseason before we know what this team "is" for the 2010 season.

Its jmo but I think the identity of this team is going to totally change.

Once again, I defy you or anyone else to show me an instance in which a top LT is traded. I can think of 2: Willie Roaf (and there were alleged marital issues involving a teammate), and Leon Gray in the Eric Dickerson trade. Do you have some more to update me?

So, we gained 2 good OGs (assuming Wood comes back) and lost a top LT, only to replace him with garbage. Also we seem to be counting on a historically brittle Butler to play RT. I suggest to you that this cannot work.

Despite ALL of the above, I wouldn't be adverse to a big guy on the front 7 in round 1. I would be thrilled with McClain, or a top DT. My point is that we are small and weak, and will not win like this. I want a qb as much as you, but I would prefer that he stayws in 1 piece. Do you see at all what I am getting at?

I honestly just don't understand your point about Peters. yes, we never found a replacement for him (granted, it's only been a year). Yes, that sucks. Ok. But what's your point? We technically haven't found a replacement for Jim Kelly either, and that's been much longer! And that's MY point.

All i'm saying is that QB > LT any day of the week. If our coaches have Bradford or Clausen rated high (which i'm sure they would)..i believe it would be CRIMINAL to pass on them simply b/c we don't have a "stud" LT in place.

Now, if neither QB is there when we draft, then it's all fair game. If you want to go get Bulaga or Okung if he's there at 9..then fine...though i'd rather trade down at that point...but I wouldn't be angry. But if you're telling me that you would draft Bulaga over Clausen or Bradford then I seriously disagree with you.

Bill....I agree with you that that pick should be go to a OL, DL, or McClain.....

But one thing I keep hearing and not just you....is what the make up of what the team "is".....

- Gan Gailey is known for wanting to establish the run in his offenses

- Nix has made his opinion on players and it to me it spells doom for our smallish players on this team.

- We officially ended last season and now have a whole offseason before we know what this team "is" for the 2010 season.

Its jmo but I think the identity of this team is going to totally change.

John, for years we have been on the same page wrt the structure, and the allocation of resources of the Bills. I really do hope you are right wrt Gailey and Nix. The truth is, I will be sitting here on draft day scared ----, hoping that a team in front of us will draft Eric Berry. There has been too much insanity for too long, and we need a total transformation from the senility/stupidity of Levy/Jauron.

I honestly just don't understand your point about Peters. yes, we never found a replacement for him (granted, it's only been a year). Yes, that sucks. Ok. But what's your point? We technically haven't found a replacement for Jim Kelly either, and that's been much longer! And that's MY point.

All i'm saying is that QB > LT any day of the week. If our coaches have Bradford or Clausen rated high (which i'm sure they would)..i believe it would be CRIMINAL to pass on them simply b/c we don't have a "stud" LT in place.

Now, if neither QB is there when we draft, then it's all fair game. If you want to go get Bulaga or Okung if he's there at 9..then fine...though i'd rather trade down at that point...but I wouldn't be angry. But if you're telling me that you would draft Bulaga over Clausen or Bradford then I seriously disagree with you.

I'd take Bulaga over bradford, but not clausen

The kid doesn't have a elite arm, he has had injuries, he has played exclusively out of the shotgun in a spread offense, had his best season behind a great O-line, and has a thin frame what's there not to like?

Stay clear of Bradford the guy screams bust to me. I would be ecstatic if Bradford were to be taken at pick 1. Then the Lions take Suh and McCoy goes down and it trickles down to us getting a better player possibly a better LT at pick 9.

Which is the offense the Bills are rumored to be installing for next year.

From what little I have seen of Bulaga, he looks like a Right Tackle to me, so a #9 would be very high imo. My favorite player out there that we have somewhat of a shot at is McClain, and I am thinking he won't be there at 9 so in a way we agree.....trading down could be a nice option.

Wrt, the LT/QB situation on the Bills, it was different. Kelly got old, hurt, and he retired. We traded a young Jason Peters and teams just don't do this. It would be similar to a team trading a top 5 qb; it doesn't happen.

Despite ALL of the above, I wouldn't be adverse to a big guy on the front 7 in round 1. I would be thrilled with McClain, or a top DT. My point is that we are small and weak, and will not win like this. I want a qb as much as you, but I would prefer that he stayws in 1 piece. Do you see at all what I am getting at?

Mike Lombardi, NFL analyst, almost two years ago stated that the Bills physically are a very small and weak team. He pointed out, as you just did, that they need to rework both of their lines into bigger, stronger and tougher lines. He pointed out that they should use the Steelers as a northern team model which plays in the elements.

I remember Tod McShay on a local radio show talking about the Bills. He made the point that they are years away from being a serious team. He told the radio host that his strategy would be to rebuild the OL before even attempting to address their obvious qb need.

With respect to the Peters issue the front office malfeasance didn't have to do with him being traded so much as it had to do with there being no credible plan to replace the hole created by his departure. If they would have drafted Ohrer after Peters was traded that would have made sense. Just think how our drafting strategy this year could have been altered with a little foresight.

It would be more of a death sentence for his career. The Bills are a weak little finesse team that plays in the cold. They need to change this before getting a qb who would probably be rendered useless due to poor blocking and a porous front 7.

My friend, for years you have been screaming for one qb or another. They get in there, get killed, and then you say that they "suck." The truth is that they will all continue to suck until this team is built appropriately. I am fully positive that not 1 NFL team is the least bit intimidated by our weak little team that was built upon the foundation of defensive backs and gadget players.

The Jets waited until they were strong to make a big, risky move at a quarterback. It worked, and the Bills would be wise to do the same. Common sense and history tells us this.

BINGO!! Couldn't agree more.

Cincyman, the Bills are small, weak, and play in extreme elements. We are in a different situaton than other teams. They need to be big, strong and aggressive. There is no other way for them to compete. The entire mindset must change. This is a team who traded away a top Left Tackle, and what I am telling you is that no other team does this.

The Lions play in a dome. I like Stafford a lot and think they were smart to draft him. Stafford on the Bills would be just another injured body twisting on the turf.

You know my positional proclivities, Bill. Building a decent OL is difficult for all teams, and this has been is particularly hard for the Bills, for some reason.

So they build a line - takes time to "gel", and along the way, some of them bolt to greener pastures.

They took a shot that didn't work out - JP. I honestly think they need to pull that trigger again.

As for extreme elements - has it mattered? In recent seasons, when bad weather rolled around, they were out of it anyway, and now and then picked up a meaningless win against teams that didn't care if they won or lost.

The only guy I would take over Bulaga is Suh. We aren't going to become a good team in one offseason and shouldn't try- we have been trying that for too ling. Build up the line and suddenly the skill players will miraculously be better.

A big +1 to you kind sir.

Rome was not built in a day, and with our team as week as it is needs to focus and make ourselfs better. Drafting 2 OL early will put us in a great position moving forward. Next years QB class could be monumental with Luck/Locker/Mallet/some underclassmen who alwasy comes from nowhere.

This year we need to find our needs, and match them to this drafts deepest positions. That is OL, DL, LB. QB is not one of the strengths of this class as much as we may want/need it to be. I feel like we are wasting our breath bc the two top guys will be gone anyways.