Toyota and More Problems: 部3

ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is ignoring the problem. It's all over the news.

This driver was as dumb as a box of rocks. He says he reached down with his hand to pull the pedal up (even though it wasn't stuck down)...but didn't put the car in neutral. And didn't turn it off until 20 minutes into his ordeal.

Gee, I wonder if he thought about taking his foot off the gas to slow it down. He probably had it floored the entire time and couldn't understand why it wouldn't stop.

Nice... Blame the victim! :rolleyes:

Some of your guys' take on it is like blaming the rape victim for causing the rape. Sure people are dumb, sure people make poor choices.

What I am saying is that if your Toyota zooms away from you... You got a little time on your hands and your are on a straight road, with no traffic... Why not get the cops innvolved if you go the nerve, so they can see first hand the problem. Do the cars reset themselves with no error codes once you shut down safely? I don't know? Then the burden is on the driver to explain the problem. Would you go down the road again? Say to "limp" home? Knowing I can shift into neutral at any second... Some might take that ballsy approach. Why not catch the "rapist" right in the act... Before they actually do any harm? Takes some nerve, I agree.

Again, the problem is the sticking pedals?

Nice... Blame the victim! :rolleyes:

Some of your guys' take on it is like blaming the rape victim for causing the rape. Sure people are dumb, sure people make poor choices.

Again, the problem is the sticking pedals?

I'm not blaming the "victim," I'm accusing 99.9% of these "victims" to be lying.

He didn't want to take his hands off the wheel, but he was ok with reaching down and trying to pry the gas pedal up with his hand?! How the hell are you going to do that while still watching the road???

Sorry, I'm not buying this "runaway Prius" story -- I think most of the so-called "reports" have been lies. Why is it all of a sudden that we're getting a dozen reports of this "issue" every day? It's because people want to blame everything on the "issue" since it's been getting lots of media attention.

I'm not blaming the "victim," I'm accusing 99.9% of these "victims" to be lying.

He didn't want to take his hands off the wheel, but he was ok with reaching down and trying to pry the gas pedal up with his hand?! How the hell are you going to do that while still watching the road???

Sorry, I'm not buying this "runaway Prius" story -- I think most of the so-called "reports" have been lies. Why is it all of a sudden that we're getting a dozen reports of this "issue" every day? It's because people want to blame everything on the "issue" since it's been getting lots of media attention.

This one sounds very fishy, especially considering the number of times it was suggested that the guy shift into neutral.

A whole bunch of people are going to try to get rich off this one and this jackass sounds like he's trying to get to the front of the line.

Wow... 99.9% Yikes. I guess we really agree to disagree then. I am not disputing people will "pile on."

Another report….something aint right. The sharks are circling. See page 3.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/RunawayToyot...7602&page=3

Something like this happened to me when I was young. Half asleep in the morning I got into my car an started moving. When I was making a turn, the car wouldn't slow down. Alarmed I kept pumping the brake. No use. I stopped when I hit the curb. I wasn't happy that my brakes failed but relieved that it wasn't serious.

Then I realized that all the time I was hitting the clutch, not the brake.

Maybe Fez is off on the 99.9%. It's probably 99.99% by now.

The car from the story this morning was a 2008.

Still going on 2 model years. Toyota crusie controls were failing in the 1990's.

Again, I am not disputing piling on... That is always gonna happen. I just don't think it is as rampant as people think. No doubt if somebody has a problem and they will millk it now. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I noticed this:

Seriously. What do you do? Shift into neutral and let the thing red-line until the engine blows?

Will they fix a blown engine?

Toyota maintains there is nothing wrong with the recalled Prius vehicles' computers, and that the accelerator issue should be simple to rectify at the dealership. But wait. Sorry. Yeah, the Toyota recall for sticking accelerators hasn't been offered for the Prius. You heard right. The Prius was part of the recall for the "floor-mat that might cause your accelerator to stick," recall

Something like this happened to me when I was young. Half asleep in the morning I got into my car an started moving. When I was making a turn, the car wouldn't slow down. Alarmed I kept pumping the brake. No use. I stopped when I hit the curb. I wasn't happy that my brakes failed but relieved that it wasn't serious.

Then I realized that all the time I was hitting the clutch, not the brake.

Maybe Fez is off on the 99.9%. It's probably 99.99% by now.

I agree... (Still not with the 99.99% thing) My 1998 Isuzu Rodeo was recalled and they fixed the gas pedal pad. I noticed that if you toe-heeled, that if you have a big foot (mine is a size 10)... You would land a little on the gas pedal when stopped... The vehicle would jump. My wife never had that problem... Doesn't fudge by keeping her heel on the mat.

I learned quickly not to do that!!

Still going on 2 model years. Toyota crusie controls were failing in the 1990's.

Cars break. They're complicated, as much by mandate as anything. Not exactly news.

Again, I am not disputing piling on... That is always gonna happen. I just don't think it is as rampant as people think. No doubt if somebody has a problem and they will millk it now. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I don't know if it is or it isn't. I do know that when my car gets a life of its own, I'm going to shift it into neutral and live through it. Regardless of whether the car survives or not.

I noticed this:

Seriously. What do you do? Shift into neutral and let the thing red-line until the engine blows?

Will they fix a blown engine?

I don't know. I know that if they didn't they'd lose a customer for life and I'd be sure they knew exactly that. I've never had a problem getting any company to fix problems for vehicles under warranty, though the local dealer has had to take some guidance from somewhere else on occasion.

Toyota maintains there is nothing wrong with the recalled Prius vehicles' computers, and that the accelerator issue should be simple to rectify at the dealership. But wait. Sorry. Yeah, the Toyota recall for sticking accelerators hasn't been offered for the Prius. You heard right. The Prius was part of the recall for the "floor-mat that might cause your accelerator to stick," recall

And who is to say they aren't right?

And who is to say they aren't right?

Given Toyota's shady past and business practices (sludging engine issue and refusal to accept blame)... Even know that flies in the face of Consumer Reports and trumped up positive public hype... They (Toyota) can't be trusted and shouldn't be given the benny of doubt.

No doubt they built a brand and a loyal following... Yet, the warts were always swept under the rug.

Among the Jap Big 3, Toyota is the only one I harbor these feelings because fact speak for themself. Go back and unearth their problems/warts that were swept under the rug/off the radar with great PR and public perception.

I know you will disagree... But many people have been dupped for years... Things are just coming to a head now.

A great PR department can hide a lot of things... Just not now... Yet, you can see the strong battle that is still being waged by the apologists.

Given Toyota's shady past and business practices (sludging engine issue and refusal to accept blame)... Even know that flies in the face of Consumer Reports and trumped up positive public hype... They (Toyota) can't be trusted and shouldn't be given the benny of doubt.

A great PR department can hide a lot of things... Just not now... Yet, you can see the strong battle that is still being waged by the apologists.

Didn't take blame? You mean that letter I got in the mail that said, "If you have a problem with sludging, we'll cover it up to 200,000 miles" wasn't them being there for the customer?

That said, my car has 140,000 miles on it and it still drives great...

Was that PR? I'm sure a portion of it was. But they didn't just ignore it -- and I didn't even know it was a problem until I received the letter many years ago. Sounds like more squeeky complainers to me...

A co-worker told me he heard the guy say he was afraid it would go into reverse. I say: "So?" Anyway, it won't go into reverse, there is a stop.

Automatics won't go, Mythbusters proved it over two years ago....

MythBusters Episode 84: Viewers’ Choice Special Air Date: August 15, 2007

I remember with the stick shift they were using both hands to try to force it into reverse and couldn't get it to go.

Didn't take blame? You mean that letter I got in the mail that said, "If you have a problem with sludging, we'll cover it up to 200,000 miles" wasn't them being there for the customer?

Was that PR? I'm sure a portion of it was. But they didn't just ignore it -- and I didn't even know it was a problem until I received the letter many years ago. Sounds like more squeeky complainers to me...

EII has been waiting through 30 years of Toyota being the best affordable carmaker on the planet for this moment. Don't ruin it for him.

All you do to put the car into neutral is slide the knob to the side. If you don't push it up, it won't go into reverse (and shouldn't because it's locked out anyway).

There's also an "engine braking" option to slow the car.

This driver was a dumbass.

no

the driver was paid to stage the whole thing

the 911 as well as the cop told him numerous times to put the car in neutral

and the driver refused to respond to the operator

Not right off the bat.

I remember the notice at an oil change place about the sludging back around 1999-2000... Dating back to model years 1996 or so. Took Toyota a bunch of years to finally fess up.

What model year was your car and what YEAR did you receive the letter? Late 1990's? Again, when did you get the letter?

How many years between model year and date of the letter? Wasn't the letter result of the class action lawsuit?

??

My point is they fought tooth and nail until they caved in and admitted their engineering mistake... Then kissed up to the consumer to cover their ass.

How long will this take?

They don't deserve the benefit of doubt.

EII has been waiting through 30 years of Toyota being the best affordable carmaker on the planet for this moment. Don't ruin it for him.

Actually Hyundai is. Not Toyota, they are overpriced compared to some others. My 1990 Hyundai cost just under 6k brand new and lasted us almost 13 years... Gave it to my sister and the thing is still going today.

Not right off the bat.

I remember the notice at an oil change place about the sludging back around 1999-2000... Dating back to model years 1996 or so. Took Toyota a bunch of years to finally fess up.

What model year was your car and what YEAR did you receive the letter? Late 1990's? Again, when did you get the letter?

How many years between model year and date of the letter? Wasn't the letter result of the class action lawsuit?

??

My point is they fought tooth and nail until they caved in and admitted their engineering mistake... Then kissed up to the consumer to cover their ass.

How long will this take?

They don't deserve the benefit of doubt.

Why would they do anything right off the bat until they do their own research to determine if there really IS a problem....? Looking at my car as an example, I still have no issues.

I bought the car in May '99, and I believe I received the letter before I was married - so within 2 years of buying the car. I didn't join any class action lawsuit, so I have no idea -- like I said, I still don't know most of the details, only that it's covered for 200,000 miles.