Toyota and More Problems: 部3

ExiledInIllinois

Don't get me started. Right now Asian carp are swimming with feet of me! Hordes are infecting the lake. There is so much technical inaccuracy... They don't even have the towns right, the distances right, etc... etc..

I am not actually at work... And I should be sleeping before the kidlets come storming home! :thumbsup:

Damn Toyota for bringing those carp into the country! ;)

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn Toyota for bringing those carp into the country! :thumbsup:

;)

Too, I am just illustrating how it happens in the press everywhere!

Sorry for sounding so stuck on Toyota.. I am really not and would consider buying their product! Really! I just side on the part that something is real here. This is happening at highway speeds. A lot of people get cold-feet when trying to concoct a ruse like this... Not saying it can't happen... There are a ton of people who do have the balls. Myself, I am not sure I would even have the nerve to call the police and stay focused on the task (like I said above, I may think I would). I would neutral the thing, step on the brakes and probably slam the mother!@#$er into park... I would full out go nuclear.

Again.. There is smoke here. Digging deeper I found Toyota uses potentiometers in their E-gas vehicles... I think Toyota totally knows they screwed up. How can the company now save face? I don't want them to leave the market.

That is why I side with the consumer protection... There should be 100% zero fail when these systems leave the line. It should be protected with redundancy if they can't give the 100% zero fail. All things fail! Especially what I found out they use in these pedal systems.

;)

Says the guy who quotes "the stuff" he heard "on the radio" in describing the story of a cop prying up the gas pedal in depth. You're funny.

Ya... I know.. But how many people (even here) are driving a car... ANY car. Now mix in their loved ones. I don't want it to be hysteria. But, it is a very real problem that can happen to any computer controlled car. Like I said about my finicky ABS light... Everytime I want to take it in and get the code checked, the light is off and driving around town... Can't get it on... Slow down and drive into the lot and the damn thing goes off. Of course ABS is not important and many insurance companies have even thought about dropping the amount they give you back for having the option. When the light is on, just remember to pump the brakes... One stil has regular brake function.

This really is something everybody should have a plan for with any car... In our computer age.

On a side bar... Look at Apollo 13... If everything wasn't manually imputed into a machine that even our cars have more computing power now... Would that crew have gotten home safely??

Fault me... This is something we should get a little hysterical about. Again, I don't want to... But do... :thumbsup:

On a side bar... Look at Apollo 13... If everything wasn't manually imputed into a machine that even our cars have more computing power now... Would that crew have gotten home safely??

That'll be a valid comparison when someone lands a '68 Buick on the moon.

Don't get me started. Right now Asian carp are swimming with feet of me! Hordes are infecting the lake. There is so much technical inaccuracy... They don't even have the towns right, the distances right, etc... etc..

I am not actually at work... And I should be sleeping before the kidlets come storming home! :thumbsup:

Can you use your cell phone camera to take a picture of the fishes? Try to get some kind of landmark or roadsign in the picture so that you have proof of where the pic was taken.

Toyota shoud be ashamed of themselves for polluting out lakes with their crap carp.

Still not buying it, no matter how many times you post about it. Please explain how the engine of the Prius is stronger than the brakes? Dude even says in the article that he could smell the brakes burning up from pressing them so hard. Seriously?

I will again point to this article, and the quote about brakes vs engines:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/in-defens...-the-audi-5000/

"Parnelli fired up the Caddy's big V8, dropped it in gear and floored it- with his other foot on the brake. The left rear wheel lit up in a screeching howl; the car was soon engulfed in a cloud of acrid smoke. The Caddy didn't move an inch- obviously. And neither did Parnelli, glancing at the wincing producer with his wicked grin. I had assumed (wrongly) that race-car drivers grew up eventually.

The experience seared in a lesson in basic automobile physics: brakes are always more powerful than engines, even when they have 500 cubic inches (8.2 liters). Too bad we didn't have our cameras running. We could have made a graphic rebuttal to 60 Minutes' fraudulent destruction of Audi."

I am not defending any position here, but this writers analysis is completely laughable. Furthermore, using this writers example (a stationary vehicle) in defending a vehicle in motion is dubious.

First, this statement: "The experience seared in a lesson in basic automobile physics: brakes are always more powerful than engines, even when they have 500 cubic inches (8.2 liters)."

is trumped by this statement, and proves the first statement incorrect: "The left rear wheel lit up in a screeching howl; the car was soon engulfed in a cloud of acrid smoke."

How does the 2nd statement prove the the 1st incorrect?

The left rear tire "lit up in screeching howl" (a/k/a "spinning") which means the brakes on left rear FAILED.

Secondly, keeping a stopped car from moving is different than stopping a moving car.

Stating the obvious, brakes use friction to convert the motion of the car into heat. A stationary car's brake system is not generating heat, even when the brakes are firmly applied, because simply put, the car is not moving.

A moving vehicle's brake system does generate heat when the brakes are applied, and the heat, if not properly dissipated, causes havoc in a brake system. The heat can boil the brake fluid (as Cincy pointed out), and can change the composition of the brake pad and rotors. Once the composition of the pad is changed, the performance of the system will continue on a downward spiral until failure.

If you can explain how the Pernelli doesn't move with an engine roughly a billion times more powerful than the Prius, and how the brakes of the Prius allegedly burned up but couldn't slow down the little electric car that could, I'm willing to listen. But basic physics say it's impossible.

Actually, no. What's missing is understanding the basics of how automobiles and their sub systems work.

Then there's the difference of how electrical motors develop power and torque as compared to gas motors.

I am not defending any position here, but this writers analysis is completely laughable. Furthermore, using this writers example (a stationary vehicle) in defending a vehicle in motion is dubious.

First, this statement: "The experience seared in a lesson in basic automobile physics: brakes are always more powerful than engines, even when they have 500 cubic inches (8.2 liters)."

is trumped by this statement, and proves the first statement incorrect: "The left rear wheel lit up in a screeching howl; the car was soon engulfed in a cloud of acrid smoke."

How does the 2nd statement prove the the 1st incorrect?

The left rear tire "lit up in screeching howl" (a/k/a "spinning") which means the brakes on left rear FAILED.

Secondly, keeping a stopped car from moving is different than stopping a moving car.

Stating the obvious, brakes use friction to convert the motion of the car into heat. A stationary car's brake system is not generating heat, even when the brakes are firmly applied, because simply put, the car is not moving.

A moving vehicle's brake system does generate heat when the brakes are applied, and the heat, if not properly dissipated, causes havoc in a brake system. The heat can boil the brake fluid (as Cincy pointed out), and can change the composition of the brake pad and rotors. Once the composition of the pad is changed, the performance of the system will continue on a downward spiral until failure.

Actually, no. What's missing is understanding the basics of how automobiles and their sub systems work.

Then there's the difference of how electrical motors develop power and torque as compared to gas motors.

:thumbsup:;)

Were the Prius' in electric mode or gas mode?? Is this relevant??

Ya... I know.. But how many people (even here) are driving a car... ANY car. Now mix in their loved ones.

I recall your tale about letting your wife drive your AWD Pacifica over a long distance with a dangerous bubble in a tire sidewall, because you balked at the AWD requirements of unequal tread depth (tire diameter) causing damage to the drive train.

Here you are now, railing away. When it came to your own pocketbook, you chose to ignore a substantial risk to your own "loved one".

Get off your high horse, look into a mirror, and fling your finger of blame where it belongs.

If it was accellerating that quickly, it was almost certainly using both.

Thanks.. I wasn't sure... That is what I may have thought. Yet, electrics do have more off-the-line accel/speed than gas. Everybody makes fun of electric and thinks that they are weak.... Quite the contrary. Ever see those new electric dirt bikes. The things are scary. Scary in quiet! I mean man, dirt bikes and the 2-cylce noise go hand in hand! :thumbsup: Now these monsters come on the scene. ;)

I recall your tale about letting your wife drive your AWD Pacifica over a long distance with a dangerous bubble in a tire sidewall, because you balked at the AWD requirements of unequal tread depth (tire diameter) causing damage to the drive train.

Here you are now, railing away. When it came to your own pocketbook, you chose to ignore a substantial risk to your own "loved one".

Get off your high horse, look into a mirror, and fling your finger of blame where it belongs.

It was me... The wife did drive it (not super far travel wise, but from looking at it I thought it wasn't that bad.)

I do admit, it was a choice I made and knew full well the ramifications. I also made sure the TPMS was working. Fully coached everybody driving it and what not. I got the tire replaced as soon as I could afford it and did research on what the truth was about getting tires for AWD (my first AWD) vehicle.

It was a risk, expecting to react at any second.

You can't get blood out of stone, even if I wanted a tire then and there... I was over a barrel. I was more scared what Dunn tire said about the "getting all four new tires" (which wasn't true). I drove home on a Sunday and they didn't even have one in stock.

I made a calculated risk.

Oh Cincy... I wouldn't have even noticed it unless my brother (he's trucker) pointed it out as I was leaving my father's driveway. I never let my wife go a day without reminding her till it was fixed. Unless you read it wrong, there was no other long trip except that one home... Again, I did all the driving and even after that had her avoid any heated, prolonged driving at all cost. She drives in town about 5 miles to work at speeds under 35 mph.

Sure it was a risk for a week or two. I drove her crazy reminding her though.

Now doubt Toyota is taking a big calculated risk. I had my tire fixed ASAP, they should do the same. Why is this dragging on?

Apparently, the issue is complex enough that it's resisting a quick diagnosis.

Or there is no issue, and people are stupid.

Probably a mix of both - some of the reported issues are real, some are just atrocious drivers who shouldn't be anywhere near a car.

Apparently, the issue is complex enough that it's resisting a quick diagnosis.

Or there is no issue, and people are stupid.

Probably a mix of both - some of the reported issues are real, some are just atrocious drivers who shouldn't be anywhere near a car.

:blink::D;)

This about sums it up folks.

Yet.. Isn't it not unlike my sidewall issue?... There is gonna have to be a time when Toyota calls them all in and rips them out and puts a new system in it. What they are doing amounts to me driving on the bad tire WITH SIDEWALL damage, trying to get it fixed... Then when something goes wrong (thank God it never did, I replaced it too quickly) not accepting blame. One can make a calculated risk, but when the gig is up and craps is shot... One has got to fess up. Toyota did (IMO). Toyota did not (IMO). Becasue events are still happening (if true in this Cali case).

There is no way to fix this problem except to rip them all out and put in what other makers are using.

:blink::D;)

This about sums it up folks.

Yet.. Isn't it not unlike my sidewall issue?... There is gonna have to be a time when Toyota calls them all in and rips them out and puts a new system in it. What they are doing amounts to me driving on the bad tire WITH SIDEWALL damage, trying to get it fixed... Then when something goes wrong (thank God it never did, I replaced it too quickly) not accepting blame. One can make a calculated risk, but when the gig is up and craps is shot... One has got to fess up. Toyota did (IMO). Toyota did not (IMO). Becasue events are still happening (if true in this Cali case).

There is no way to fix this problem except to rip them all out and put in what other makers are using.

It's completely unlike your sidewall issue. Sidewall tires don't have five different computer-controlled systems.

By the way...did anyone hear today that there's 78 different class action lawsuits against Toyota from people that haven't had a problem with their cars? The argument being: the cars that have had problems have reduced the resale value of the cars that don't, and Toyota should make up the difference. :blink: