Toyota and More Problems: 部3

ExiledInIllinois

Why would they do anything right off the bat until they do their own research to determine if there really IS a problem....? Looking at my car as an example, I still have no issues.

I bought the car in May '99, and I believe I received the letter before I was married - so within 2 years of buying the car. I didn't join any class action lawsuit, so I have no idea -- like I said, I still don't know most of the details, only that it's covered for 200,000 miles.

Stop trying rational discussion with EII. Like I said, he's been struggling for 30 years to make up stories about Toyota. Now that he has a real issue, he's on overdrive mixing fact and fiction.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would they do anything right off the bat until they do their own research to determine if there really IS a problem....? Looking at my car as an example, I still have no issues.

I bought the car in May '99, and I believe I received the letter before I was married - so within 2 years of buying the car. I didn't join any class action lawsuit, so I have no idea -- like I said, I still don't know most of the details, only that it's covered for 200,000 miles.

You really need to do some research regarding Toyota and the engine sludge problem.

Your letter (and others like it) was a PR move. In 2002, Toyota finally admitted receiving 3,400 complaints regarding sludged up motors, and sent out letters extending the warranty on those vehicle lines.

Too bad Toyota refused to honor their own extended warranty.

Engine sludged up? Owner's fault. Period.

Made no difference when the engine crapped out. Made no difference what documentation existed. Made no difference who maintained the vehicle (Toyota was declining claims even though Toyota dealerships did all the service on the vehicle).

On message and technical boards, Toyota technicians talked about how the sludge was "different". Normal sludge (due to lack of maintenance) is tar like (black, thick, and sticky). The sludge in the Toyota models was more gelatin like, and was more of a gray or white color.

I had a serious thought the other day,

How many people are going to fake this and purposely drive their car into something or another car and use the excuse that it was the cars fault it accelerated on its own, just to sew for a crap load of money.

I think it could be a serious issue for Toyota to deal with

How many people are going to fake this and purposely drive their car into something or another car and use the excuse that it was the cars fault it accelerated on its own, just to sew for a crap load of money.

Any accident a Toyota gets into now, the driver is going to claim it sped up on its own.

My wife works at a Toyota dealership and said they were getting calls from some customers claiming the car accelerated on its own and when they told them the make, model and VIN number, it would be a car with a completely different accelerating system. People are out there now, just trying to get a lawsuit or a new car.

Any accident a Toyota gets into now, the driver is going to claim it sped up on its own.

My wife works at a Toyota dealership and said they were getting calls from some customers claiming the car accelerated on its own and when they told them the make, model and VIN number, it would be a car with a completely different accelerating system. People are out there now, just trying to get a lawsuit or a new car.

I think this is the big thing. They either want a new car or are "willing" to settle out of court.

Funny thing, if they settle, watch how fast they keep the 'dangerous' car.

You really need to do some research regarding Toyota and the engine sludge problem.

Why? My car is 11 years old and hasn't had a single problem in that 11 years. The worst problem I've had is a blown tire -- not OEM -- and that was because I was being dumb and putting off the purchase of new tires just a bit too long...

Why? My car is 11 years old and hasn't had a single problem in that 11 years. The worst problem I've had is a blown tire -- not OEM -- and that was because I was being dumb and putting off the purchase of new tires just a bit too long...

:ph34r:

You're right. You have owned your car for 11 years and never had a problem.

Therefore, Toyota has done nothing wrong to anybody. Ever.

Ignorance is bliss.

I plan to use it for getting out of speeding tickets. "I know I was doing 70 in a 35, officer...but the car accellerated on its own! Honestly!"

I plan to use it for getting out of speeding tickets. "I know I was doing 70 in a 35, officer...but the car accellerated on its own! Honestly!"

Better yet, don't stop for the cop. Put on you flashers and keep going for a bit first, yah know to sell it a little. :ph34r:

:ph34r:

You're right. You have owned your car for 11 years and never had a problem.

Therefore, Toyota has done nothing wrong to anybody. Ever.

Ignorance is bliss.

I'm not talking about EVERYBODY. But you replied to my message about the engine problem and said, "You really need to do some research regarding Toyota and the engine sludge problem."

What do *I* need to do research for? Am I supposed to be an advocate for everybody else? My car works fine, so *I* don't need to waste my time doing research on the problem.

Sheesh.

I too... All the malkes and models I have owned... Nothing ever major outside routine service and a few recalls... Even the Isuzu accelerator thing I figured out was due to my driving habits, them placing the pedal pad (recall) further away did help. Yet, Isuzu (part GM) jumped on it right away. Do you remember that recall in the late 1990's-early 2000's? Probabaly not. I am not disputing that people are making this worse... Yet, Toyota's is very much to blame for being stubborn and leeting this thing "grow legs." They opened themselves up to this when they really shouldn't have.

I understand Fez... Lets just agree to disagree. I am going to err on the side of consumer protection anyday. There is no need for ONE sticking pedal if the proper redundant systems were in place... Like other makers use.

I'm not talking about EVERYBODY. But you replied to my message about the engine problem and said, "You really need to do some research regarding Toyota and the engine sludge problem."

What do *I* need to do research for? Am I supposed to be an advocate for everybody else? My car works fine, so *I* don't need to waste my time doing research on the problem.

Sheesh.

"Didn't take blame? You mean that letter I got in the mail that said, "If you have a problem with sludging, we'll cover it up to 200,000 miles" wasn't them being there for the customer?"

You know why you got that letter? Because 3,400 'squeaky complainers' made Toyota aware there was problem in the first place.

You know why there was a lawsuit?

Because Toyota refused to accept responsibility for it's defective design. Even when they sent out a letter stating they would.

So let me restate that;

TOYOTA REFUSED TO HONOR IT'S OWN EXTENDED WARRANTY EVEN THOUGH THEY KNEW THEIR DESIGN CHANGE WAS THE ROOT CAUSE OF THE SLUDGING.

The point is not the sludging motors, but how Toyota treated its customers.

This is the company you are choosing to defend.

If you think this "sudden acceleration" is recent, guess again. Toyota has been battling this issue since complaints first surfaced back in @2006.

And just like the sludging motors, Toyota first tried to pin the problem on the customer.

When that didn't work, then Toyota blamed the floor mats.

It's only been in the past 4 months(?) that Toyota finally admitted the problem is more severe than just floor mats.

For someone who claims to be a "cynic" and likes to through out the phrase "personal responsibility", where is the cynicism against Toyota (and it's desire to protect it's bottom dollar).

But go ahead. Since your car has never had any problem, remain ignorant.

Toyota loves you for it!

"Didn't take blame? You mean that letter I got in the mail that said, "If you have a problem with sludging, we'll cover it up to 200,000 miles" wasn't them being there for the customer?"

You know why you got that letter? Because 3,400 'squeaky complainers' made Toyota aware there was problem in the first place.

You know why there was a lawsuit?

Because Toyota refused to accept responsibility for it's defective design. Even when they sent out a letter stating they would.

So let me restate that;

TOYOTA REFUSED TO HONOR IT'S OWN EXTENDED WARRANTY EVEN THOUGH THEY KNEW THEIR DESIGN CHANGE WAS THE ROOT CAUSE OF THE SLUDGING.

The point is not the sludging motors, but how Toyota treated its customers.

This is the company you are choosing to defend.

If you think this "sudden acceleration" is recent, guess again. Toyota has been battling this issue since complaints first surfaced back in @2006.

And just like the sludging motors, Toyota first tried to pin the problem on the customer.

When that didn't work, then Toyota blamed the floor mats.

It's only been in the past 4 months(?) that Toyota finally admitted the problem is more severe than just floor mats.

For someone who claims to be a "cynic" and likes to through out the phrase "personal responsibility", where is the cynicism against Toyota (and it's desire to protect it's bottom dollar).

But go ahead. Since your car has never had any problem, remain ignorant.

Toyota loves you for it!

+1 :devil::D

"Thank you sir may I have another":

Personally...my cynicism against Toyota occurred at purchase, when I simply assumed that they were acting in their own interest and not mine. Caveat emptor.

Like Tom said, you're talking about every company in the world with that statement.

Personally...my cynicism against Toyota occurred at purchase, when I simply assumed that they were acting in their own interest and not mine. Caveat emptor.

My Toyota buying experience was the best ever. First, my wife wanted the Prius and I didn't give a **** so that helped my attitude. Second, Toyota was 1 month from introducing the 2010 Prius models to customers and the line for those was already at 56 or something. Third, we were after a floor model with 800 miles on it. Fourth, it was the heart of last year's auto malaise (we didn't have a clunker to trade though).

So we got this silly loaded Prius for a song at zero interest. And now I find it comes with a get out of speeding ticket for free card? That's just cream on top.

Of course, now my wife decided that the car might be dangerous and wants a BMW diesel.

My Toyota buying experience was the best ever. First, my wife wanted the Prius and I didn't give a **** so that helped my attitude. Second, Toyota was 1 month from introducing the 2010 Prius models to customers and the line for those was already at 56 or something. Third, we were after a floor model with 800 miles on it. Fourth, it was the heart of last year's auto malaise (we didn't have a clunker to trade though).

So we got this silly loaded Prius for a song at zero interest. And now I find it comes with a get out of speeding ticket for free card? That's just cream on top.

Of course, now my wife decided that the car might be dangerous and wants a BMW diesel.

:lol: Smug alert!

JA and family separated at birth from George Clooney

:rolleyes:

Regarding that recent Toyota Prius driver who "claimed" his car was accelerating....

Toyota Hybrid Horror Hoax

So why did he do it? Sleuth work at the Web sites Jalopnik.com and Gawker.com reveals that Sikes and his wife Patty in 2008 filed for bankruptcy and are over $700,000 in debt. Among their creditors is Toyota Financial Services for a lease on a 2008 Toyota Prius, with value at time of bankruptcy of $20,494. The Jalopnik Web site shows a copy of Toyota's secured claims form, though when Jalopnik questioned Sikes by e-mail he denied being behind on his Prius payments.

Sikes also has a history of filing insurance claims for allegedly stolen items that are slowly coming to light. In 2001 he filed a police report with the Merced County Sheriff's Department for $58,000 in stolen property, including jewelry, a prosumer mini-DV camera and gear, and $24,000 in cash, according to Fox40 in Sacramento. His bankruptcy documents show a 2008 payment of $7,400 for an allegedly stolen saxophone and clothes.

For what it's worth, Sikes owned and operated a Web site called AdultSwingLife.com.

Say it aint so! The guy was lying?!?! Toyota wasn't to blame?!?! :censored:

Regarding that recent Toyota Prius driver who "claimed" his car was accelerating....

Toyota Hybrid Horror Hoax

So why did he do it? Sleuth work at the Web sites Jalopnik.com and Gawker.com reveals that Sikes and his wife Patty in 2008 filed for bankruptcy and are over $700,000 in debt. Among their creditors is Toyota Financial Services for a lease on a 2008 Toyota Prius, with value at time of bankruptcy of $20,494. The Jalopnik Web site shows a copy of Toyota's secured claims form, though when Jalopnik questioned Sikes by e-mail he denied being behind on his Prius payments.

Sikes also has a history of filing insurance claims for allegedly stolen items that are slowly coming to light. In 2001 he filed a police report with the Merced County Sheriff's Department for $58,000 in stolen property, including jewelry, a prosumer mini-DV camera and gear, and $24,000 in cash, according to Fox40 in Sacramento. His bankruptcy documents show a 2008 payment of $7,400 for an allegedly stolen saxophone and clothes.

For what it's worth, Sikes owned and operated a Web site called AdultSwingLife.com.