What happened to Trent Edwards?

JPS

He showed more promise than any prospect (or suspect) we've had in years, now it feels like going out on a limb to say he should get a shot at the job. I think the odds are way in favor of him being our opening day starter over anyone else in the poll.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that anything would be different if it hadn't happened, but he was never the same after that concussion. Before that he seemed to making decent progress and was slinging the ball around. After, he became captain checkdown.

He showed more promise than any prospect (or suspect) we've had in years, now it feels like going out on a limb to say he should get a shot at the job. I think the odds are way in favor of him being our opening day starter over anyone else in the poll.

Other than promising his Mom to keep his hands warm on cold days, what promise did he ever show exactly?

At times during the 2008 season Edwards made me think we finally had our solution at QB. Then he folded like a tent when it got cold and refused to throw downfield this season with two quality WR's in TO and Evans. Would an improved O-line be a major difference in his career? I don't know but hope so. We are so desperate for a good QB.

He did show some promise at first. But ever since the concussions he has been a giant sack of nothing. His unwillingness to sling the ball eventually lost the faith of the team. if they don't believe in him nothing is going to happen on the field. The total lack of TE defenders implies there is not a lot of locker room support for the guy. He may still have a career after he gets his head straight, but it will not be here.

it's too bad really, but hardly the first time a football player with promise was lost to injuries.

If we run a west-coast style offense definitely.

Honestly, I am not sure that Trent ever met his potential, but, at the same time, I am not sure what his potential was. He did have some terrific games early in the 2008 season, but he never really got any better, and, started to regress. I would like to blame all of this on Dick Jauron and his inept coaching staff, but, if he (Trent) had a pulse, like you want a QB to have, you would think he would have, just once, gotten fed up with the conservative approach, and started to throw it, just to show the coaches (and the fans) that he was capable... he just seemed too content... ironically, the game he finally got benched, for his performance (Texans- Juarons last game) was one of his more solid, if unspectacular, performances.

I realize Trent wasn't the athlete that his predecessor was, but, I also think (or thought) he had a mental edge over JP, and that would be enough to make him a decent starting QB. But, he really just seems to have very little confidence...I don't know if he lost confidence in himself, or in the offense...but something was missing... Gailey is supposed to be a great QB teacher, lets see what he can do with Edwards. I would be comfortable with him as a backup, if he earned that spot...would be comfortable with Fitzpatrick in that capacity too. Not sure what to make of Brohm. However, I would not be comfortable with more of the same of what we saw from Trent and Fitzpatrick this year, as starters. Both were inadequate in different ways.

As much as I like the notion of bringing in a vet, like McNab to Buffalo, I really think the Bills should get the rest of their house in order, before potentially wasting the talents of a young guy, or the money on an aged vetran. Let Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Brohm, and maybe Tyler Thigpen (I like him) battle it out to make the roster, and see what happens.

Take away an experienced OC and a competent O-line, I wonder how many QBs would have maintained their confidence level. It's not a full on defense of Edwards, but I just wonder if we bail now...is it 1 year too early? I think he showed enough when we had an OC and a line to merit another look.

It was reported that TE lost the locker room late in the season. To me, TE's disappearance is a combination of two things:

1) His mental state isn't one that rebounds from adversity. Not like a Brees, P. Manning, Rodgers, Favre, or the elite QB's in the game.

2) His HC was responsible for some of the dullest offenses in Bills history. That's not saying they were the worst, but three coordinators looked eerily similar when crunch time rolled around. I still don't know why TE remained loyal to DJ as his career was twisting downward in that backwards offense DJ's been running.

OBD will have a hard time selling Edwards as the starter in 2010 and they've already got an uphill climb after hiring Gailey.

when he was at his peak, he beat an awful seahawks team (4-12) at home, a Jags team that at the time looked like a great win, but in the end that team was no good (5-11), then we squeaked one out against the raiders (5-11) at home, beat a god awful rams team (2-14).........then he got his bell rung in Arizona, had the bye week, and came back to beat the Chargers at home, who eventually made the playoffs at 8-8 but were playing awful football at the time. That 5-1 start was fun and the team looked great, but my god the teams he beat were horrible.

I don't know that anything would be different if it hadn't happened, but he was never the same after that concussion. Before that he seemed to making decent progress and was slinging the ball around. After, he became captain checkdown.

could that be an issue of him being scared to take another hit like that so he compensates by trying to get rid of the ball too fast? Perhaps he has been told by doctors that if he has another concussion he should think about retiring? Just seems like he is scared to hold onto the ball now...

He got knocked around and lost his confidence. I'm not sure if he will ever get it back. He's throws the ball well, has a good arm and is accurate, but he doesn't really seem that mentally tough and doesn't know how to buy time in the pocket. That's not the profile of a champion, IMO. He is a rebuilding project that might recover in a year or two to be a good backup/journeyman.

Frankly, Fitzpatrick shows more potential to me. He makes some (a lot of?) bad throws, but he makes much quicker decisions, can run with the ball and will try to make the big play if he thinks he can. With some coaching help and if he were to get a little more pass protection so that he can actually set his feet and throw on rhythm, I think that he could become more accurate. No one mentions him, but he deserves an opportunity to fight for the starting job, IMO.

Concussion vs the Cardinals. That's his turning point. Not the same since.

PTR

Concussion vs the Cardinals. That's his turning point. Not the same since.

PTR

Exactly right. He showed flashes till the concussion,but afterward played pretty much like garbage. One thing tho,he always struck me as being a little soft. Kinda lacked fire or something. I can't quite put my finger on it,but he never impressed me as a guy who could be a leader.

Honestly, I am not sure that Trent ever met his potential, but, at the same time, I am not sure what his potential was. He did have some terrific games early in the 2008 season, but he never really got any better, and, started to regress. I would like to blame all of this on Dick Jauron and his inept coaching staff, but, if he (Trent) had a pulse, like you want a QB to have, you would think he would have, just once, gotten fed up with the conservative approach, and started to throw it, just to show the coaches (and the fans) that he was capable...

It was reported that TE lost the locker room late in the season. To me, TE's disappearance is a combination of two things:

1) His mental state isn't one that rebounds from adversity. Not like a Brees, P. Manning, Rodgers, Favre, or the elite QB's in the game.

I talked about these same points with my family during the season when Trent lost his job. If he really had any of the "it" factor you would think the guy would have fought like hell to get his job back. He never showed any fire or desire to get back what was his. I was at the Jacksonville game and we were in early enough to watch warmups. It looked to me like he was totally content tossing some passes to the Justin Jenkins and Jonathan Stupars of the world off on the side. It may just be me but little things like that and the "not a Bills fan" comment made me feel that he really doesn't have the passion or desire to be a great player. His confidence is shot and like it was pointed out in the thread the team didn't seem to rally behind him at all. Could a coaching change or better o-line get his career back on track? Maybe. I get the feeling though that he'll end up somewhere else as a 2nd or 3rd stringer and be completely content.