Talk About Captain(s) Checkdown

K-9

Both QBs checked down more times than I can recall. Anyone going to critize Brees or Manning for taking what the defenses gave them all game or do they rank the same ridicule that so many like to dish out around here? Somehow I think not. If you can hit a home run,GREAT, but the idea is to keep the chains moving in the meantime. Checking down is a time honored strategy and isn't a bad thing.

In the hands of great QBs, anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

Both QBs checked down more times than I can recall. Anyone going to critize Brees or Manning for taking what the defenses gave them all game or do they rank the same ridicule that so many like to dish out around here? Somehow I think not. If you can hit a home run,GREAT, but the idea is to keep the chains moving in the meantime. Checking down is a time honored strategy and isn't a bad thing.

GO BILLS!!!

Checking down is fine...when you throw down the field once ina every couple of passes.

Nice attempt to defend Trentative, though.

Checking down is fine...when you throw down the field once ina every couple of passes.

You think my post was an attempt to defend Edwards? Get a clue. What part of "In the hands of great QBs, anyway" don't you understand? Or are you also going to make the ludicrous assertion that I was somehow putting Edwards on the level of Brees/Manning?

Way to find meanings that don't exist.

GO BILLS!!!

When Buffalo checks down the result is -2 to 4 yards and it's usually on 3rd and long. When Brees and Manning did it, it was on first or second down and was usually for 5-6 yards resulting in a 3rd and short - where checking down also makes sense.

Captain Checkdown and the Bills "offense" deserves all the ridicule it got. And THEN SOME.

Guest dog14787
When Buffalo checks down the result is -2 to 4 yards and it's usually on 3rd and long. When Brees and Manning did it, it was on first or second down and was usually for 5-6 yards resulting in a 3rd and short - where checking down also makes sense.

Captain Checkdown and the Bills "offense" deserves all the ridicule it got. And THEN SOME.

You don't think improved line play also improves the yardage on checkdowns?

I agree Buffalo, since they don't have the talent at QB, fares far worse than teams headed by ALL Pros as the position.

I disagree with your assumption that Manning/Brees did most of their checking down on 1st and 2nd downs. I saw more than a fair amount of checking down by both teams on third down.

GO BILLS!!!

... and when you convert your 3rd downs. That's the problem with Trent. He can check-down all day long for all I care, but he's got to move the chains and bottom line is he rarely did that.

GO BILLS!!!

The difference is that both Indy and NO have receivers that can make yards after the catch. We don't. Our checkdown passes get stopped cold at the point of the reception.

The difference is that both Indy and NO have receivers that can make yards after the catch. We don't. Our checkdown passes get stopped cold at the point of the reception.

Bingo. Defenses know exactly what Trent is going to do and stop it cold. When there's no deep passing attempts, that's what defenses will do. That was refreshing part about Fitz's play -- he wasn't afraid to sling it down the field. Not saying Fitz is our answer at QB here, just saying he opened up another dimension to the offense. And who knows, maybe our existing QBs can succeed in the new offense that will be installed and with new coaching.

I agree Buffalo, since they don't have the talent at QB, fares far worse than teams headed by ALL Pros as the position.

I disagree with your assumption that Manning/Brees did most of their checking down on 1st and 2nd downs. I saw more than a fair amount of checking down by both teams on third down.

GO BILLS!!!

Because they were short yardage situations on account of the offense choosing plays to get them into that position. Last night was a perfect example of 'using what the defense gives you'. Manning and Brees would find the open receiver whether it was a yard in front of them or 10 yards down the field. They took the homerun when they had the shot (Manning to Collie for 40+) but didn't hesitate to throw 10 to 15 yards if they needed to down the center of the field. And unlike our woeful offense, the defense had to respect that Brees/Manning COULD go deep at any time for the homerun. With Trent running the Bills offense, that worry was never there and the team would just have to stack the field 10 yards in front of him.

Bingo. Defenses know exactly what Trent is going to do and stop it cold. When there's no deep passing attempts, that's what defenses will do. That was refreshing part about Fitz's play -- he wasn't afraid to sling it down the field. Not saying Fitz is our answer at QB here, just saying he opened up another dimension to the offense. And who knows, maybe our existing QBs can succeed in the new offense that will be installed and with new coaching.

It's a combination of the schemes and the talent, or lack thereof. Defenses smother the checkdown receivers and double the deep one(s), not to mention pouring through the OL to pressure/sack the QB. A mess all the way around, that needs to be fixed.

Checking down is often a great option only because the other defensive players are down field covering the downfield receivers. But when guys are open down the field and you never throw it to them check downs are all you do the defense comes into the game knowing that, then it doesn't work out.