Blu Ray problem/question?

bbb

So, I watch movies in about half hour increments. And, my DVD player always cooperated....Now, that I have a blu ray, I've watched 3 movies. The first one, I would hit stop or pause and when I came back to it a few hours later, I couldn't start where I left off. I had to go through the whole process again to get to where I was........The 2nd one then I could start it up right where I left off, so I figured maybe the first one was just messed up..........Now the third one is just like the first one!

Is this an issue with Blu Ray players or am I doing something wrong?

So, I watch movies in about half hour increments. And, my DVD player always cooperated....Now, that I have a blu ray, I've watched 3 movies. The first one, I would hit stop or pause and when I came back to it a few hours later, I couldn't start where I left off. I had to go through the whole process again to get to where I was........The 2nd one then I could start it up right where I left off, so I figured maybe the first one was just messed up..........Now the third one is just like the first one!

Is this an issue with Blu Ray players or am I doing something wrong?

yeah, you watch movies in half hour increments...

seriously though, I had a similar problem. I found hitting pause, and then hitting play when I was ready to start watching again would kick me back to the main menu. But hitting the pause button when I wanted to unpause let me start right back up where I left off.

Hopefully your machine is the same.

Thanks, Drey - how can you tell which are authored in BD-Java? Ironically, the two that I am having the problem with are new releases (Inglorious Basterds and The Hurt Locker). The one where I can just resume playback was an old release - Full Metal Jacket.

Astro - I'll try your trick, too.

yeah, you watch movies in half hour increments...

seriously though, I had a similar problem. I found hitting pause, and then hitting play when I was ready to start watching again would kick me back to the main menu. But hitting the pause button when I wanted to unpause let me start right back up where I left off.

Hopefully your machine is the same.

This worked - sweet! Thanks!

The workaround is to set a bookmark before pressing stop, then resume that bookmark.

That said, why do you only watch in 30 minute increments...???

Because I never really have 2-3 hour blocks of time. I think of it that it's just like how people read a book. I really look forward to getting back into it.

I don't know anything about bookmarks. How do you do that?

Because I never really have 2-3 hour blocks of time. I think of it that it's just like how people read a book. I really look forward to getting back into it.

I don't know anything about bookmarks. How do you do that?

You read your manual, since every player handles it different (in regards to what buttons to push).

I'm curious what you do that you never have a 1.5-2 hour window? (most movies aren't 3 hours long...)

You read your manual, since every player handles it different (in regards to what buttons to push).

I'm curious what you do that you never have a 1.5-2 hour window? (most movies aren't 3 hours long...)

I have two home based businesses, and the fact that it's actually early for me to be posting at 1:30AM, should attest to the fact that I have not quite figured out how to get a work/life balance......There's always something more important to do than sit on my butt for 2 hours give or take.

I heard Howard Stern say that he does this - that he watches movies like most people read books. That is exactly how I do it, and the fact that you are calling the solution "bookmarks" pretty much means that Howard and I aren't the only ones to do it this way.

I have two home based businesses, and the fact that it's actually early for me to be posting at 1:30AM, should attest to the fact that I have not quite figured out how to get a work/life balance......There's always something more important to do than sit on my butt for 2 hours give or take.

I heard Howard Stern say that he does this - that he watches movies like most people read books. That is exactly how I do it, and the fact that you are calling the solution "bookmarks" pretty much means that Howard and I aren't the only ones to do it this way.

If you only get 30 minutes at a time to read a book, you must not read much either.... :w00t:

If you only get 30 minutes at a time to read a book, you must not read much either.... :w00t:

So, what do you do that gives you hours at a time to read a book and hours at a time to watch a movie? (I believe bookmarks were invented for a reason)

So, what do you do that gives you hours at a time to read a book and hours at a time to watch a movie? (I believe bookmarks were invented for a reason)

All I'm saying is that if you only read in 30 minute chunks, it must take a LONG time to finish a book. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't see how it's hard to find 1.5 hours to watch a movie (and millions of people do it - movie theaters are pretty busy places), but to each their own.

I take even less time reading books, as I only read stuff like Malcolm Gladwell, Freakonomics, etc. and yes they take me a long time to read them. What's the difference? Like I said, bookmarks seem to be everywhere, so I can't be the only one who does things like this. (I do read the newspaper front to back and several magazines, and tons of online articles)

So, what do you do that gives you blocks of hours to read books and to watch movies uninterrupted, as well as post 15K+ times to this board?

I take even less time reading books, as I only read stuff like Malcolm Gladwell, Freakonomics, etc. and yes they take me a long time to read them. What's the difference? Like I said, bookmarks seem to be everywhere, so I can't be the only one who does things like this. (I do read the newspaper front to back and several magazines, and tons of online articles)

So, what do you do that gives you blocks of hours to read books and to watch movies uninterrupted, as well as post 15K+ times to this board?

I work in IT, so I can post during the day while waiting for processes to finish (and lots of time I get to sit around for hours, "just in case" something breaks... Yay....). So working 50-70 hours a week isn't uncommon, but there's downtime.

As for movies, I don't see how anyone doesn't ever have 1.5 hours of uninterrupted time to watch a movie... I'd venture to guess that, while you aren't the only one in the world who watches movies that way, you're definitely in the minority. I'm just trying to figure out how someone can be so "busy" that they don't even have 90 minutes in a row do something they like.... :w00t: I'm not attacking you, I just don't understand it.

I work in IT, so I can post during the day while waiting for processes to finish (and lots of time I get to sit around for hours, "just in case" something breaks... Yay....). So working 50-70 hours a week isn't uncommon, but there's downtime.

As for movies, I don't see how anyone doesn't ever have 1.5 hours of uninterrupted time to watch a movie... I'd venture to guess that, while you aren't the only one in the world who watches movies that way, you're definitely in the minority. I'm just trying to figure out how someone can be so "busy" that they don't even have 90 minutes in a row do something they like.... :w00t: I'm not attacking you, I just don't understand it.

I really have no downtime. Whatever downtime I take leaves me less organized and with less money.

I know I'm in the minority. My friends say "how can you do that? Once I start a movie, I have to finish it." I think I miss some of the emotions that run through the movie, but right now, I'm looking foward to getting back to The Hurt Locker to see what happens next.............I'd rather it not be this way, but it is...........You keep saying 90 minutes, and I think 2 hours is the average, but regardless I don't have that either.....And, in my warped frame of mind, I can't believe that people DO have that kind of time. A friend/ex who used to work for me said that I'm always doing something. She can't ever stop at my house where nothing is going on. So, yeah, I guess I live different that everybody else, but I don't seem to be able to do it any other way. I would love this right now "and lots of time I get to sit around for hours, "just in case" something breaks... Yay."

• 3 weeks later...

I had a TV installer in yesterday and even he couldn't figure out how to use the bookmarks in order to get back to that point..........My stupid manual doesn't even mention them, even though it is an option on the remote.

BTW, the hitting pause and then going back to pause is not a good long term option, as it keep the whole system running the whole time.