Beam Me Up Scotty

/dev/null

Only till the box is opened. Poor cat, both dead and alive till someone checks.

Yeah at least we know that Doc Brown's dog Einstein made it back in the Delorian. The same however can not be said for what those damned Commies did to Laika in Sputnik II :wallbash:

Isn't this something like Schrodinger's equation regarding the equal probability of the electrons in the S orbital being in two disparate places at any given time, without ever being anywhere in the path between those two places?

Sort of. The basic idea is that quantum numbers, being quantized (discrete values, not a continuous distribution), only allow a particle to be in certain states. That causes the effect you described.

If you have two particles, however, linked by a quantum number, and you change the state of one particle, the other one's state must change - immediately, no matter how far apart they are. Best example I can think of is superconductivity - electrons in a conductor are "paired" at low energies, and can't break the pairing because quantum rules won't allow it, so they can't scatter off the atoms in the conductor's lattice, which is basically what causes resistance. (That's as simply as I can describe it. Google "Cooper pairs" if you really want to know - but I warn you, it's really boring ****).

:wallbash:

:D:wallbash:^_^;):):D:o:D

I thought the same thing when I read that!!!

This is really cool stuff. IMO, it proves that absolutely nothing is impossible in this universe. It was once thought that flying at the speed of sound would be like hitting a brick wall. Every few years it seems like something comes out from scientists that show promise of a really cool future.