What year will we return to the Super Bowl?

major

Every year or so, some surprise team cones out of nowhere to make a run at it.

The Bills are not that far away - really.

They were right in the thick of it for most games. They just need to get over the hump.

Not only that, but one or two key players can suddenly make the rest of the unit click - see Bruce Smith.

If they go 3-4 and can find a good run stuffer, they're mabe a good linebacker away from a pretty decent defense. Year, I know, they could use a great pass rusher (cross out fingers for Maybin) and another LB or two, but what team has 11 probowlers in defense.

On offense, I'd say a QB and WR away from being good (and good play calling would help). I still hold out hope that, barring injury, we have the makings of a good O-line. They're still young. I haven't given up on Demetrius Bell as the LT. He's still young and learning, and he did show promise. Will Wood be able to contribute - who knows?

When they can even think about a superbowl will largely depend on how they approach the QB position. If they have to draft and groom a young guy who starts right away, could be starting all over again. I don't see any QB coming out in the draft that could fit the bill. Will Gailey and company come up with an offense scheme that will work with the players they now have.

In today's NFL, a team can get turned around pretty damned fast. Look at the Dolphins turn-around 2 years ago.

With the right moves, the Bills could be playoff contenders this coming season (Hell, even after blowing at least early 2 games that they should have won, they were still in the playoff race going into the last quarter of 2009, with a complete other roster on IR!!!).

Unless Sanchez turns out to be the next Brady, the division is weakening and will be up for grabs nest year.

Never say never. Every year some division, and often more than one, gets turned upside down from the previous year.

Of course for the Bills, staying healthy has got to be to first order of business. No team can expect to compete with half of it's team in the training room or hospital.

The more appropriate question is... how many seasons straight will we remain in the basement of the AFCE. With this coaching staff, I would say a minimum of 4.

I think you're right. I would settle for "When will we beat the Pats again?" I was cleaning out my stuff the other day and found the ticket stub to the opening day drubbing of them in 2003 - it is the only thing I have kept since becoming a season ticket holder.