Move a Buffalo church (the entire building) to Atlanta

LBJ isn't my favorite president, but I'll give him this: he was a crafty politician.

Ever since the Johnson Amendment to the tax code (1954), churches are not allowed to directly or indirectly support candidates for office. Punishment can be meted out if a government official hears a pastor (or other religious leader) violating this section of the tax code.

So, it works well both ways. We get freedom from religion, and they get free exercise of religion.

Also: it's interesting to note that even before the Johnson Amendment, churches were tax-exempt. LBJ just had a vendetta against non-profits :lol:

I was unaware of this, however, I am aware that there is a house in DC owned by a Christian group that allows politicians to live there for free. I think it's the fellowship. To think that it works that way is laughable. I am not directly blaming you or saying you have anything to do with it but surely Christians involve themselves in the State every day. Through more than just politics, in schools/the pledge, through displaying the christian flag at gov buildings, pre-assembly prayer at gov meetings, and there are numerous other examples.

If I could do one thing in my life it would be to prove that religion is nothing more than a tool that you can choose to live by and derive morals from than I would be gladly die the most successful person...ever. We need to tax the church, bottom line, because for those that think that religion is smaller than government need to think twice. No man could be President if he was openly an atheist, Jewish, or Islamic (no jokes about Obama, please). Religion has shaped our country and world more than any other thing in the history of everything - for better or for worse.

I am not directly blaming you or saying you have anything to do with it but surely Christians involve themselves in the State every day.

I would hope not, considering that I don't go around telling those friends of mine that happen to be Christian to go out and become active in politics. :D

Through more than just politics, in schools/the pledge, through displaying the christian flag at gov buildings, pre-assembly prayer at gov meetings, and there are numerous other examples.

If I could do one thing in my life it would be to prove that religion is nothing more than a tool that you can choose to live by and derive morals from than I would be gladly die the most successful person...ever. We need to tax the church, bottom line, because for those that think that religion is smaller than government need to think twice. No man could be President if he was openly an atheist, Jewish, or Islamic (no jokes about Obama, please). Religion has shaped our country and world more than any other thing in the history of everything - for better or for worse.

Yes, religion has certainly been an extremely large, if not the largest, force in the history of mankind. It's also more involved in the State than some of us are comfortable with (see: Ted Haggard visiting the White House via telephone on a weekly basis during the Bush II years). However, I cannot see a good reason to tax religious establishments given the direction that this country (and the world) is moving in, religion-wise. The percentage of people in the United States who do not state a religious preference (the "nones") has increased from 8.2% in 1990 to 15% in 2008. In many European countries, "nones" are the majority. Meanwhile, the percentage of people in the United States who identify as Christian (of any type) decreased from 86% in 1990 to 76% in 2008. Given that the "nones" could be the largest "religious" group in the United States (or at least a very close second) in the near future, if you start taxing churches now, it could pose problems for religious freedom down the road. Given the constitutional guarantee of not prohibiting anyone's free exercise of religion, you can see how this could be a bit of an issue.

(Stats come from the American Religious Identification Survey, 2008)

Edited by LeviF91

Very well put Levi, and very good point. I am not against religion, by any means, even though I think it is....a lot of things and none of them that good. That being said, it would be sweet irony that in the future the atheists tried to control the lives of those who participate in religion as much as the religions have manipulated the atheists.

Edited by jboyst62