Is Professional Armwrestling a Real Sport?

nostyle126

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eating competitions, cheerleading, spelling bees...

DEFINITION: Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

This is according to wikipedia

DEFINITION: Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

This is according to wikipedia

Fishing - not a sport

Darts - not a sport

Billiards - not a sport

Bowling - not a sport (I know, this'll piss off a few folks.)

Poker - not a sport

All fun games/activities.. but not sports.

Going by the definition you provided from Wiki, the wife and I are engaging in sport whenever we play Scrabble. :wallbash:

So without letting Wikipedia do the thinking for you...is armwrestling a sport? Do any of you watch it?

Yes, sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

This is according to EZC

Yes, sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

This is according to EZC

We had a sports forum when i was attending Medaille College and it was a 2 hour debate on what is and is not a sport!

Probably the fun-nest day at college ever!!!

Exactly. Any event where you get stronger by turning your hat backwards to get more power and your prize for winning is custody of your son is 100% a sport.

You'd think the Bills coaching staff would get a clue and start having some guys turn their hats around!

Here is the easiest way to tell if something is a sport or not. Can you tell if someone is athletic by how bad or well they play the sport. Golf, Bowling, Arm Wrestling, Fishing, Shuffleboard, Curling, Darts, Poker, Domino's, are all not sports I am sorry I know they are hard to do and require skill but they are all games or activities not spots I can't tell how good of an athlete you are just by watching you play golf.

Maybe I am just one of those !@#$s that thinks that sports should hold some sort of higher rank then a game and that comparing Tiger Woods to anyone who plays a real sport like Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey, Tennis, Boxing, MMA, ect is insulting to the very definition of what an athlete/sportsman is.

When you watch a fat guy like David Wells play baseball sure he can play but his game is limited by the fact that he is overweight and out of shape (Can't field his position as well as he should, can't run the bases ect). When I watch someone like John Dailey play Golf their golf game isn't really impacted by their lack of athletism. Arm Wrestling isn't a sport I can't tell how athletic someone is by watching them arm wrestle.

Here is the easiest way to tell if something is a sport or not. Can you tell if someone is athletic by how bad or well they play the sport. Golf, Bowling, Arm Wrestling, Fishing, Shuffleboard, Curling, Darts, Poker, Domino's, are all not sports I am sorry I know they are hard to do and require skill but they are all games or activities not spots I can't tell how good of an athlete you are just by watching you play golf.

Maybe I am just one of those !@#$s that thinks that sports should hold some sort of higher rank then a game and that comparing Tiger Woods to anyone who plays a real sport like Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey, Tennis, Boxing, MMA, ect is insulting to the very definition of what an athlete/sportsman is.

When you watch a fat guy like David Wells play baseball sure he can play but his game is limited by the fact that he is overweight and out of shape (Can't field his position as well as he should, can't run the bases ect). When I watch someone like John Dailey play Golf their golf game isn't really impacted by their lack of athletism. Arm Wrestling isn't a sport I can't tell how athletic someone is by watching them arm wrestle.

Interesting take. But what is an athlete? Someone who's fast? Someone who's strong? Someone with incredible dexterity? Someone with good hand-eye coordination? Someone with low body fat? What makes an athlete an athlete? Are offensive linemen athletes? Are quarterbacks?

Yeah, David Wells' career was really limited by his inability to run the bases for the two seasons that he played with the Padres. :wallbash:

You're correct that putting golf on the same level as football is ridiculous.

But also ridiculous is putting golf on the same level as Poker. It's not like it requires zero athletic talent. Strength, accuracy, steadiness, soft hands, etc.

While Tiger Woods may be an idiot for the wreck he has made of his personal life he can't be denied status as an athlete. How is golf any less athletic than baseball? Do you have to run for something to be considered a sport? To play golf well you have to have an excellent combination of balance, strength, flexibility and muscle contol. How are these things not physical or athletic?

While Tiger Woods may be an idiot for the wreck he has made of his personal life he can't be denied status as an athlete. How is golf any less athletic than baseball? Do you have to run for something to be considered a sport? To play golf well you have to have an excellent combination of balance, strength, flexibility and muscle contol. How are these things not physical or athletic?

Likewise, armwrestling requires finger/hand/wrist/forearm strength but also core strength. It also requires incredible technique that nonprofessionals usually don't understand. There is more athleticism in armwrestling than it appears.