Hooray for science

GG

The journal also had another autism article today studying the rates of diagnoses across different geographic areas. (sidebar: is it geographic or geographical?) It focused on West LA as an example of an area with abnormally high autism rates.

There definitely seems to be a strong belief that there is a correlation between education level and autism diagnosis. The school of thought being that higher educated people are more aware of the condition, have better access to treatment (ergo diagnosis) and have greater expectations for their childrens' cognitive abilities.

A lot of hypotheses without any real answers, but an interesting read nonetheless:

Studies Seek Reasons for Autism's Rise

BTW - I see GG's article as dated February 3rd. Does the WSJ often postdate articles for the next day's edition or am I having a reverse groundhog day?

I'd still like someone to look into sonograms as a possible contributing factor.

There's no other single procedure that's been put into place and used repeatedly on fetuses.

Exposing their developing nervous system repeatedly- as an increasing number of people do - can't be a good thing.

And it is "easier" to identify. I'm not saying that there isn't a link between immunizations and autism - I have no idea. I also don't know if there's any link between the hormones we force into our meat supply and autism. There are simply too many variables for it to be such a convenient explanation.

Polluted environments overall could be a factor. I'm with Tom on this one, though. I think it's a lot like ADHD, it just wasn't diagnosed well 30 years ago, and is much better understood now.