Hooray for science

GG

Lancet - autism scare article - Oh, never mind.

Rare to see such strong repudiation:

The Lancet has previously said it should never have published the research. "We fully retract this paper from the published record," Lancet editors said in a statement Tuesday.

Last week, Britain's General Medical Council ruled that Mr. Wakefield had shown a "callous disregard" for the children used in his study and acted unethically. Mr. Wakefield and the two colleagues who haven't renounced the study face being stripped of their right to practice medicine in Britain.

For the study, Mr. Wakefield took blood samples from children at his son's birthday party, paying them £5 each (about $8) for their contributions and later joking about the incident.

Lancet - autism scare article - Oh, never mind.

Rare to see such strong repudiation:

No, it never will -- mainly because there is no reasoning with an emotionally attached mother. If she THINKS that's the answer, then to her it is...whether it's the truth or not.

My beef with all these anti-vaccine people is that THEIR ignorance is putting my child's health at risk. I've had my kid vaccinated with no ill effects.

For the study, Mr. Wakefield took blood samples from children at his son's birthday party, paying them £5 each (about $8) for their contributions and later joking about the incident.

Wow - that must have been a great birthday party. I have 5 year old twins, and there's nothing they like more than getting stuck with needles.

Hey kids! For your birthday we're gonna have a SHOT party! We'll have hats, and balloons, a HUGE NEEDLES TO DRAW BLOOD!

Unless those kids were meth junkies who needed the $8 more than they feared the needles, that was one ugly party!

If I may...

And HTF would YOU be able to tell?

1) I know autistic children her age. They can't socialize in a normal manner for the most part. My daughter is 6. I'd know by now if she was autistic, seeing as I FRICKING LIVE WITH THE CHILD AND INTERACT WITH HER ON A DAILY BASIS.

2) No teacher or other adult who's ever interacted with my daughter has ever expressed concerns over her behaviors or speech or social interactions. Not one.

I can tell you don't have children and have never had a baby. People with autistic children know at a VERY early age that something is wrong with their kid. It manifests before children can even speak.

So, my nephew is Autistic and hasn't spoken a word since he was born 26 years ago what's your point? :w00t:

Because he saw Rain Man.

^^ THIS is my point, Jimmy. ^^

You and Major BiPolar seem to think I have no point of reference in saying my own fricking daughter isn't autistic, when clearly I do. Sweet baby moses, man. I would know if my kid was autistic.

1) I know autistic children her age. They can't socialize in a normal manner for the most part. My daughter is 6. I'd know by now if she was autistic, seeing as I FRICKING LIVE WITH THE CHILD AND INTERACT WITH HER ON A DAILY BASIS.

2) No teacher or other adult who's ever interacted with my daughter has ever expressed concerns over her behaviors or speech or social interactions. Not one.

I can tell you don't have children and have never had a baby. People with autistic children know at a VERY early age that something is wrong with their kid. It manifests before children can even speak.

If I may translate: "HTF would you be able to tell?" translates to "HTF would you be able to tell, being that you yourself are functionally an autistic half-wit yourself?" We're not actually saying that you can't tell when something's wrong with your daughter. We're just MOCKING you, dumbass. :w00t:

If I may translate: "HTF would you be able to tell?" translates to "HTF would you be able to tell, being that you yourself are functionally an autistic half-wit yourself?" We're not actually saying that you can't tell when something's wrong with your daughter. We're just MOCKING you, dumbass. :w00t:

Actually my "I've seen Rain Man" comment was mocking the general American public. "Hey, I know that....I saw it in a movie!"

I'm not autistic. I'm nuts. :wallbash:

The rate of autism is definitely on a precipitous rise.

People are looking at thimerosal in vaccines as a cause.

I'm wondering why they haven't looked at prenatal ultrasound scans too.

And the severity of autism, overall, is declining.

The reason is simple: the diagnostic definition of autisim has become much broader over the past several decades.

And the severity of autism, overall, is declining.

The reason is simple: the diagnostic definition of autisim has become much broader over the past several decades.

And it is "easier" to identify. I'm not saying that there isn't a link between immunizations and autism - I have no idea. I also don't know if there's any link between the hormones we force into our meat supply and autism. There are simply too many variables for it to be such a convenient explanation.