Has anyone seen

dib

TOTALLY AWESOME!

my friend emailed me this morning, telling me to google it but i hadnt had a chance yet.

should the back of the helmet say "Let's Roll!" (rolling up his sleeves/9-11 combo)??

"Speak softly and carry a big stick."

:wallbash:

TOTALLY AWESOME!

my friend emailed me this morning, telling me to google it but i hadnt had a chance yet.

should the back of the helmet say "Let's Roll!" (rolling up his sleeves/9-11 combo)??

That reminded me exactly of Spicoli from Fast Times...

• 2 weeks later...
Hard to blame the IOC on this; it's a slippery slope.

"Miller Time" yes, but not for the tribute to his cousin or Quick's "Support our troops". A small memorial on a mask should not be a problem in any way, as long as it's not a memorial to someone like Hitler. I can see why they might have an issue with "support our troops", but that is in no way propaganda.

The thing I find strange about the whole thing is that every hockey jersey out there is going to have the Nike swoosh on it and the equipment of every single olympic athlete is covered with logos of the manufacturers. Why do they not have a problem with that?

"Miller Time" yes, but not for the tribute to his cousin or Quick's "Support our troops". A small memorial on a mask should not be a problem in any way, as long as it's not a memorial to someone like Hitler. I can see why they might have an issue with "support our troops", but that is in no way propaganda.

I agree on the cousin thing, but that's Miller's own fault. If he had just put that on the helmet and not drawn attention to himself with 'Miller Time', there's a good liklihood no one notices or says anything. But once he brings that scrutiny onto himself, the IOC is not going to open themselves up to criticism by drawing a line between what is ok and what is not.

'Support Our Troops' isn't going to fly either. It has political overtones at an event that goes to great lengths to avoid any overt political reference.

The thing I find strange about the whole thing is that every hockey jersey out there is going to have the Nike swoosh on it and the equipment of every single olympic athlete is covered with logos of the manufacturers. Why do they not have a problem with that?

$

'Support Our Troops' isn't going to fly either. It has political overtones at an event that goes to great lengths to avoid any overt political reference.

It can be a political message, but I don't think it is at all. But yeah, this one makes sense.

$

Exactly, they're hypocrites.

It can be a political message, but I don't think it is at all. But yeah, this one makes sense.

Exactly, they're hypocrites.

As someone whose brother deployed last week for the 'stan, I more than understand the desire of the athlete to do this. Beating a foreign enemy b/c no other diplomacy/communication has worked, is decidedly political. Hence, "Support our troops" is decidedly political.

During the competition of the Olympics is not the place for it. As KD wrote, that's a very slippery slope. There is ample opportunity for athletes to speak during interviews, they can go on USO tours after the Games, etc. The Olympics is historically not a venue for such speech, and they do enforce it.

Also, those advertising marks are part of the funding that allows the Olympics to take place. Advertisers and sponsors expect some form of remuneration for the material help they give, the clothing they provide, etc. ... Damned capitalists!

I agree on the cousin thing, but that's Miller's own fault. If he had just put that on the helmet and not drawn attention to himself with 'Miller Time', there's a good liklihood no one notices or says anything. But once he brings that scrutiny onto himself, the IOC is not going to open themselves up to criticism by drawing a line between what is ok and what is not.

$

How about Suck My Big American Dick! Think that would fly?