Academy Awards

erynthered

I wish there was a way they could all lose. Then again they would just create yet another awards show until everyone wins a trophy. It's like little league, nobody can be left out of the praise and admiration for fear that they will throw a tantrum and their feelings will be hurt.

Can you tell I'm not a big fan of celebrities?

It would be a nice shot to his chin if his ex wife won. Great movie. (The Hurt Locker)

They both deserve it. Avatar and Hurt Locker were both well-directed movies.

Hurt Locker should win best picture hands-down, though. Best movie I've seen in a while. Only reasons it wouldn't is if 1) everyone's too dazzled by Avatar's effects to see how mediocre a film it actually is, or 2) they can't decide if Hurt Locker is pro- or anti-war.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see District 9 nominated for Best Picture. Well deserved in my opinion. Though 'Moon' didn't make the cut and neither did Sam Rockwell which makes me a Sad Panda.....

Hurt Locker was film of the year.

Definitely agree with you guys about Hurt Locker, and also about Moon and Sam Rockwell. My "better win" pick is the same one I've had since I saw his performance in Inglourious Basterds this past summer....the fantastic Christoph Waltz as Col. Hans Landa. I am on record as saying this is one of the best performances I've seen in my 37 years of film viewing, EVER. This was absolutely inspired casting, and as much as there was to like about this film, Mr. Waltz stole the show.

Hurt Locker should win best picture hands-down, though. Best movie I've seen in a while. Only reasons it wouldn't is if 1) everyone's too dazzled by Avatar's effects to see how mediocre a film it actually is, or 2) they can't decide if Hurt Locker is pro- or anti-war.

Totally agree about Hurt Locker. I wouldn't mind seeing the lead actor (don't recall his name) win for best actor, either. I thought he did a great job of helping the viewer understand what made his character tick, and a lot of that was done with subtleties. Fantastic film.

Astute. Exactly the way I feel. Avatar was average at best. Frankly I was bored watching it 1/3 of the way in and was giggling to myself 1/2 through at the cliched characters. When we went to see "Hurt Locker" I was pleasantly surprised at the absence of a political bent pushed on me by some activist director or writer. Just a good simple story about a particular situation men are put into. No comment on the situation itself.

I watched "Inglorious Bastards" a second time on blue ray last weekend and I enjoyed it even more the second time. I think it should be considered as well. Two scenes in that movie are Oscar worthy. The opening scene with the Jew hunter interrogating the farmer and the bar/restaurant scene with the Nazi corporal trying to figure out if the American spies posing as Nazis were legit.

Definitely agree with you guys about Hurt Locker, and also about Moon and Sam Rockwell. My "better win" pick is the same one I've had since I saw his performance in Inglourious Basterds this past summer....the fantastic Christoph Waltz as Col. Hans Landa. I am on record as saying this is one of the best performances I've seen in my 37 years of film viewing, EVER. This was absolutely inspired casting, and as much as there was to like about this film, Mr. Waltz stole the show.

I just watched Basterds this weekend. While I was unimpressed with the movie itself, I agree about Waltz - though admittedly, I didn't see any of the performances he's up against. But that was a delightfully light an insouciant villianous performance.

I'm probably in a distinct minority opinion here, but I thought Diane Kruger's performance in Basterds was worth a nomination, too. But then, I kind-of have a thing for drop-dead gorgeous blondes made out in vintage-40s starlet style in general and Kruger in particular, so I'm probably biased.

as long as cameron doesn't win best director, i'll be happy.

jw

Personally, I'd love to see JC publicly advocate for Bigelow to win best picture. First of all she's more than deserving, second of all it's the best chance in history that a woman has had to win an Oscar for directing (and maybe the best chance for a long time to come if she doesn't win), and thirdly, JC already has his Oscar. He and Bigelow are still very close and Cameron is a pretty stand up, well respected guy in town so it wouldn't shock me to see him do exactly this.

If I were repping Cameron, it's exactly what I would advise him to do because it's win-win for him and her. But I'm sure the studios wouldn't approve.

Also, color me disappointed over the list of Best Picture candidates. I was under the false assumption that by expanding the list from 5 to 10 it would allow some deserving popcorn flicks to get recognized. Guess that didn't happen. Only one film got a nom that it otherwise wouldn't have (District 9) but even that's a stretch. I would have like to have seen The Hangover or even Star Trek (biased I know) get a deserved nomination. But instead the academy went the "prestigious" route.

As for screenplays, leaving out 500 Days of Summer (one of the most original scripts in the past decade) is a sin.

I just watched Basterds this weekend. While I was unimpressed with the movie itself, I agree about Waltz - though admittedly, I didn't see any of the performances he's up against. But that was a delightfully light an insouciant villianous performance.

I'm probably in a distinct minority opinion here, but I thought Diane Kruger's performance in Basterds was worth a nomination, too. But then, I kind-of have a thing for drop-dead gorgeous blondes made out in vintage-40s starlet style in general and Kruger in particular, so I'm probably biased.

I agree, Diane Kruger was very good. I give her a ton of credit, too, cause in one of the scenes (trying to keep this non-spoiler) where she's being manhandled, Tarantino said that he was convinced that the only one who could make it convincing enough was himself. She was on the same page as wanting to make the scene as realistic as possible, so she allowed QT's hands to be the ones attacking her, although in the shot itself it was still the Landa character.

But yeah, she was fantastic...she looked beautiful and exhibited a ton of class.

As for screenplays, leaving out 500 Days of Summer (one of the most original scripts in the past decade) is a sin.

That was one of the most realistic relationship films (I refuse to call it a "chick flick") I've ever seen. Joseph Gordon-Levitt has really come a long way since 3rd Rock from the Sun, and he's a legitimate leading man. Zooey Deschanel was excellent as always.

I agree, Diane Kruger was very good. I give her a ton of credit, too, cause in one of the scenes (trying to keep this non-spoiler) where she's being manhandled, Tarantino said that he was convinced that the only one who could make it convincing enough was himself. She was on the same page as wanting to make the scene as realistic as possible, so she allowed QT's hands to be the ones attacking her, although in the shot itself it was still the Landa character.

But yeah, she was fantastic...she looked beautiful and exhibited a ton of class.

And truth be told, that was a great scene by Waltz as well, even though Tarantino was technically in half of it.

And truth be told, that was a great scene by Waltz as well, even though Tarantino was technically in half of it.

Absolutely...this may sound like an odd comparison, but the last time I had a visceral reaction to a character every time they appeared on screen, I was five years old watching Darth Vader in Star Wars, lol. The guy was so amazing, it just made you feel uneasy every time he set foot on screen.

I could have done without Brad Pitt, but I have to say that I loved the use of irony by QT in the scene where Landa attempts to discern if they are really Italians. That was the one scene where I really found myself laughing.

I watched "Inglorious Bastards" a second time on blue ray last weekend and I enjoyed it even more the second time. I think it should be considered as well. Two scenes in that movie are Oscar worthy. The opening scene with the Jew hunter interrogating the farmer and the bar/restaurant scene with the Nazi corporal trying to figure out if the American spies posing as Nazis were legit.

Totally Agree. Waltz, playing Landa, spoke 4 different languages fluently in Basterds. English, German, French, and Italian. He did this, and still managed to put on an incredible acting performance throughout. Really impressive stuff. If he doesn't win best supporting actor award, it would be an absolute crime, IMO. The opening scene that you mentioned was superb.

The best documentary picks are kind of a joke. Where's Anvil? Great movie that totally connected with the public.

(500) Days of Summer deserved several nods

Fantastic Mr Fox deserved a screenwriting nod too

Since the Hangover won the Golden Globe I was surprised to see it lose a nom to the Blind Side.

The best documentary picks are kind of a joke. Where's Anvil? Great movie that totally connected with the public.

(500) Days of Summer deserved several nods

Fantastic Mr Fox deserved a screenwriting nod too

Since the Hangover won the Golden Globe I was surprised to see it lose a nom to the Blind Side.

That Anvil documentary was awesome!