Phil Simms implies that SBXXV Bills Defense

i did NOT think Simms was talking specifically about the bills......i took his comments as general statements trying to be humorous and glib.

in my opinion, talking specifically about the bills vs giants........the amount of MISSED tackles was appalling......and was the single greatest factor among many as to why we lost that very close game.

#1- poor tackling

#2- poor coaching.........terrible clock management at end of game and failure to reign in pass happy Jim Kelly in favor of using Thurman more who was averaging 9 yards a carry every time he touched the ball.

i just can't get that loss out of my mind.....we were the better team in that game. in the other 3 SB games i felt we were the underdog.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I never liked Walt Corey's defenses...this isn't a case of looking back with 20/20 hindsight... those defenses had so much talent that was poorly utilized. Simms is right... imagine what someone like Wade Phillips could have done with all that talent... they relied far too much on the "big play" (which admittedly, they were pretty good at), and never made any real in-game adjustments. Those early 90's teams didn't lose many games, but when they did, more often than not, it was ugly... as much as is made about Norwoods miss in 25, the 5 missed tackles on the Mark Ingram 3rd down conversion in the 3rd qtr, is every bit as painful a memory for me... I realize the Bills defense played pretty well in that game, but damn it...missed tackles hurt!

When he played Jeff Wright out of position, the defense went south. He clearly did not maximize Wright's skills by asking him to be Fred Smerlas