(OT) If you have DirecTV but no TiVo

Fezmid

DirecTV is offering a deal where you call and they'll sell you a DirecTV/TiVo box for $50 (even for existing customers). That includes installing extra cable to your location to use both tuners.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showt...threadid=207423

If you want it for free and have been a customer for over a year, you can generally call and ask for "Customer Retnetion," and they'll give you one. You'll be locked in for another year, but that's generally no big deal.

There's my PSA for the day :w00t:

CW

I can get it for free?

130730[/snapback]

Generally yes, if you ask for Customer Retention and have been a customer for over a year. (you may have to pay $15 for shipping).

You will have to pay $5/month for the TiVo fee (if you aren't already paying that).

For those who don't want to try arguing with a customer service rep, you can pay the $50 and be done with it.

CW

For those who don't want to try arguing with a customer service rep, you can pay the $50 and be done with it.

CW

130734[/snapback]

At least once a week I get into an argument with a CSR... I love it when they try to manhandle you, like they probably have to many other people who for some reason get scared of people on the phone... I have never once not gotten what I want. CSR's aren't used to people sticking up for themselves and the magic words "let me speak to you manager" are always key.

At least once a week I get into an argument with a CSR... I love it when they try to manhandle you, like they probably have to many other people who for some reason get scared of people on the phone... I have never once not gotten what I want. CSR's aren't used to people sticking up for themselves and the magic words "let me speak to you manager" are always key.

130748[/snapback]

You'd be surprised how many times "let me speak to your manager" are followed by you being put on hold and transferred to the guy sitting next to the original guy you were talking to.

I worked phone support for a class-action lawsuit once....

CW

DirecTV is offering a deal where you call and they'll sell you a DirecTV/TiVo box for $50 (even for existing customers).  That includes installing extra cable to your location to use both tuners.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showt...threadid=207423

If you want it for free and have been a customer for over a year, you can generally call and ask for "Customer Retnetion," and they'll give you one.  You'll be locked in for another year, but that's generally no big deal.

There's my PSA for the day :blink:

CW

130714[/snapback]

If you have $100 you can go to Circuit City & get an RCA 70 hr TIVO. Double your HD for $50 & it is a real nice looking box.

If you have $100 you can go to Circuit City & get an RCA 70 hr TIVO. Double your HD for $50 & it is a real nice looking box.

131237[/snapback]

It's generally cheaper to get the 40-hour and upgrade the drive yourself. You can buy a 160G harddrive for around $40-$50 nowadays, which gives you about 140 hours of recording...

Instructions for doing this are on the Consumer Forum.

CW

You'd be surprised how many times "let me speak to your manager" are followed by you being put on hold and transferred to the guy sitting next to the original guy you were talking to.

I worked phone support for a class-action lawsuit once....

CW

130807[/snapback]

No one wants to see a buddy get in trouble. :blink:

I have a quick question for the more technically gifted out there. I've been drooling over getting the DirecTV HDTV Tivo receiver, but have been holding out til the $1,000 goes down. But it dawned on me that I've already got the DirecTV Tivo receiver, and standalone DirecTV HDTV receivers are going for about $300.

The question is, can I hook up both DirecTV receivers to the same TV, using the Tivo function on one and receiving High Def on the other? I know I won't be able to record high def programming, but I'm OK with that for $300 and the short term. Any insight is much appreciated! If it's true I will move on this to hopefully enjoy some Bills games in HD THIS season. :blink::)

I have a quick question for the more technically gifted out there.  I've been drooling over getting the DirecTV HDTV Tivo receiver, but have been holding out til the $1,000 goes down.  But it dawned on me that I've already got the DirecTV Tivo receiver, and standalone DirecTV HDTV receivers are going for about $300.

The question is, can I hook up both DirecTV receivers to the same TV, using the Tivo function on one and receiving High Def on the other?  I know I won't be able to record high def programming, but I'm OK with that for $300 and the short term.  Any insight is much appreciated!  If it's true I will move on this to hopefully enjoy some Bills games in HD THIS season. :blink:  :P

131476[/snapback]

Answered in the consumer forums for ya (thanks for using them :) ).

CW

I have a quick question for the more technically gifted out there.  I've been drooling over getting the DirecTV HDTV Tivo receiver, but have been holding out til the $1,000 goes down.  But it dawned on me that I've already got the DirecTV Tivo receiver, and standalone DirecTV HDTV receivers are going for about $300.

The question is, can I hook up both DirecTV receivers to the same TV, using the Tivo function on one and receiving High Def on the other?  I know I won't be able to record high def programming, but I'm OK with that for $300 and the short term.  Any insight is much appreciated!  If it's true I will move on this to hopefully enjoy some Bills games in HD THIS season. :blink:  :)

131476[/snapback]

This is actually the setup I have. Normal DTV/Tivo Receiver in bedroom with video/audio cable to TV in that room and rf remote. Coax output to HD TV in great room. HD receiver in great room with component video out to HD set. So far this year three Bills games plus sunday night have been HD. Cant record HD in this setup but great for watching recorded shows in either room.

I can get it for free?

130730[/snapback]

As posted in the linked thread (maybe these should be merged?), it's $4.99/month (the standard TiVo fee is $12.99/month). The $4.99/month covers ALL DirecTV/TiVos in your house, not just one.

CW

130748[/snapback]

Saying "I think this is a matter for the Attorney General's Office" generally raises their attention level.