Dan Lefeover

rpcolosi

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their stats were pretty much identical except LeFvour threw more passes and a pick. Clausen was perfect that game and averaged 3 more yds per pass attempt than DLF did. And again, Clausen did not turn the ball over. Michael Floyd also went down in the 1st half that game. And not that it means much, but Clausen had a 175 QB rating and DLF had a 143 QBR against MSU.

They had one more common opponent, Boston College and Clausen again played another flawless game. 246 yds 2td's and ZERO turnovers (No Michael Floyd in that game either). DLF on the other hand had a bad game. 152 Yds ZERO TD's and 1 INT on 34 atts.

And this leads to the bigger problem that I have with DLF, against his two toughest opponents, BC and Arizona, he was a combined 38 of 65 for 260 yds and 2 INTs. I'm sorry but that is terrible. If you look at Clausen, the thing that jumps out at you from game to game, is consistency. He's always around 300 yds and 2-4 TDs and only 4 picks the entire year.

I think Clausen is a can't miss prospect who gets a bad rap for being the QB of ND and having an attitude coming in to college. From everything I've read, his teammates love him and people around the program say that he's grrown leaps and bounds from where he was when he first showed up in a limmo for his presser. I hated him to coming into this year but game after game he convinced me that he has all of the tools to be a very good QB.

Ah good catch. My bad. However Arizona would have be far and away the best defense on ND's schedule. They were a real good unit. And again, CMU played BC on the road while ND was at home. It might not mean much but the home field is an advantage.

Again, I look at the supporting cast. How good would each QB be if you switched teams? I don't think it would be a stretch to think DL could be a much better QB playing with Tate and Floyd. On the other side, how much could Clausen do with CMU's team than DL did?

I'll agree to disagree. I think JC could be a good QB but I don't love him at #9. However, Lefevour as a 2nd rounder would make me tinkle in my pants a little. :blink:

Drew Bledsoe had a big arm as did Rob Johnson before him. Even Doug Flutie had a gun on him. I guess my question would be who is the last less than strong armed QB who got us to the play offs. We have to go back before Jim Kelly to answer that one. That is too far back for me to really gauge arm strength.

Whoever will bring us success will have to have a brain and some balls as well as the big arm price of admission. Mobility is a huge added bonus if they have that as well.

Kemp was considered to have one of the strongest arms in the game in his day, and LaMonica earned the nickname "The Mad Bomber". I loved Joe Ferguson and thought he was a terrific qb, but I don't know if he was considered to have a strong arm or not. I guess that covers pretty much all of our better qb's before Jim Kelly.

Kemp was considered to have one of the strongest arms in the game in his day, and LaMonica earned the nickname "The Mad Bomber". I loved Joe Ferguson and thought he was a terrific qb, but I don't know if he was considered to have a strong arm or not. I guess that covers pretty much all of our better qb's before Jim Kelly.

Fergie had a big arm; he could definitely wing it.

So basically many people here know full well and realize the fact that pretty much all of our successful QBs in Buffalo had a big arm.

Tell us again why people keep wanting to take a chance on mediocre to noodle arm QBs? Why do they constantly try to find exceptions to this rule and site other QBs like Montana and Brady. They are not the norm. Having a big arm is ABSOLUTELY no guarantee of success. NOT having a big arm is pretty much a guarantee for failure.

So basically many people here know full well and realize the fact that pretty much all of our successful QBs in Buffalo had a big arm.

Tell us again why people keep wanting to take a chance on mediocre to noodle arm QBs? Why do they constantly try to find exceptions to this rule and site other QBs like Montana and Brady. They are not the norm. Having a big arm is ABSOLUTELY no guarantee of success. NOT having a big arm is pretty much a guarantee for failure.

Its a recipe for failure if you insist on playing old school football, trying to always throw it deep (Al Davis), if you play a modern style offense like a spread hybrid west coast offense, you don't need a guy with a "big arm", which is a very OVERRATED aspect of playing qb. In terms of Lefevour, he has showed good velocity on the short and intermediate passes, and in the senior bowl threw 1 decent and 1 very good ball downfield, in a cold and somewhat windy environment.

I think most people here really overestimate how often the average team throws it downfield, and by that I mean the qb throws it 30 plus yards in the air. Last time I looked the av. 30+ yd/gm avg is about 2-4 times a game successfully, most ov the other long plays go around 15-25 yds, and the RAC gets the TD. I, for 1, am very anxious to see the combine to see all the Qb's throw all the routes, that is if the top 2 throw.

I thought the Sr Bowl was in Alabama. how could it have really been that cold? maybe that was Tebow's problem, it was a bit 'cold'.

yes it was in Alabama, and it got into the 30's. Contrary to common WNY belief, it does get cold down there, hell it even snows every now and then. Try not to blow a gasket comprehending that lil'bit of info.

yes it was in Alabama, and it got into the 30's. Contrary to common WNY belief, it does get cold down there, hell it even snows every now and then. Try not to blow a gasket comprehending that lil'bit of info.

the 30's ? Dam, they should'a cancelled, could be dangerous playing in those temps!

Its a recipe for failure if you insist on playing old school football, trying to always throw it deep (Al Davis), if you play a modern style offense like a spread hybrid west coast offense, you don't need a guy with a "big arm", which is a very OVERRATED aspect of playing qb. In terms of Lefevour, he has showed good velocity on the short and intermediate passes, and in the senior bowl threw 1 decent and 1 very good ball downfield, in a cold and somewhat windy environment.

I think most people here really overestimate how often the average team throws it downfield, and by that I mean the qb throws it 30 plus yards in the air. Last time I looked the av. 30+ yd/gm avg is about 2-4 times a game successfully, most ov the other long plays go around 15-25 yds, and the RAC gets the TD. I, for 1, am very anxious to see the combine to see all the Qb's throw all the routes, that is if the top 2 throw.

Dude the modern game involves the spread offense, more passing and such. CHICKS DIG THE LONG BALL!...lol.....seriously..we need a big arm QB. I have no illusions about how often or little the deep ball is thrown. The point and I mean the HUGE point is the fear of the deep ball. It opens up defenses like you wouldn't believe. The deep post, the deep cross, the deep out. Opposing defenses KNOW if you can't hit those kind of plays or run those types of routes and they can pack it in on you. THEN you have the Buffalo Bills offense with Trent Edwards.

Look at all of the successful QBs out there right now. They are throwing 40+ in the air a few times a game. Not talking RAC here. IN THE AIR! You don't have to hit on every one. Just the attempt can sometimes be enough.

OH....and old school football is smash mouth kid!

Dude the modern game involves the spread offense, more passing and such. CHICKS DIG THE LONG BALL!...lol.....seriously..we need a big arm QB. I have no illusions about how often or little the deep ball is thrown. The point and I mean the HUGE point is the fear of the deep ball. It opens up defenses like you wouldn't believe. The deep post, the deep cross, the deep out. Opposing defenses KNOW if you can't hit those kind of plays or run those types of routes and they can pack it in on you. THEN you have the Buffalo Bills offense with Trent Edwards.

Look at all of the successful QBs out there right now. They are throwing 40+ in the air a few times a game. Not talking RAC here. IN THE AIR! You don't have to hit on every one. Just the attempt can sometimes be enough.

OH....and old school football is smash mouth kid!

Being able to throw the deep ball ACCURATELY is what backs up a defense, Losman didn't scare anybody unless Lee beat the coverage, because losman couldn't put it in a basket the way a drew brees can. IMO, Lefevour can throw that ball, as evidenced by the TD throw in the senior bowl, Like I said, I want to watch the combine to get a better idea of where these guys are, and also, I think in reality, this is a weak class overall, mostly project guys, and among them I believe Lefevour is the best among them.

Being able to throw the deep ball ACCURATELY is what backs up a defense, Losman didn't scare anybody unless Lee beat the coverage, because losman couldn't put it in a basket the way a drew brees can. IMO, Lefevour can throw that ball, as evidenced by the TD throw in the senior bowl, Like I said, I want to watch the combine to get a better idea of where these guys are, and also, I think in reality, this is a weak class overall, mostly project guys, and among them I believe Lefevour is the best among them.

I have seen some of the guys game film. He looks good. No doubt. I have also heard he helped himself in the practices and the senior bowl. I haven't seen enough in the arm department to make me think he has what it takes.

I still contend Losman had one of the BEST deep balls in the game. Why would he throw bombs to Lee unless he beat coverage? That is what a QB is supposed to do. Brees is one of the best so he is not a good example for setting the standard for accurate deep balls. He is one of the best ever perhaps. We put up more points with Losman too. His problem was his head and skipping swing passes to the RB off the ground. The ONLY thing he did well were the various deep balls, well and running around like a chicken with his head cut off. But hey, sometimes he got first downs.

I have seen some of the guys game film. He looks good. No doubt. I have also heard he helped himself in the practices and the senior bowl. I haven't seen enough in the arm department to make me think he has what it takes.

I still contend Losman had one of the BEST deep balls in the game. Why would he throw bombs to Lee unless he beat coverage? That is what a QB is supposed to do. Brees is one of the best so he is not a good example for setting the standard for accurate deep balls. He is one of the best ever perhaps. We put up more points with Losman too. His problem was his head and skipping swing passes to the RB off the ground. The ONLY thing he did well were the various deep balls, well and running around like a chicken with his head cut off. But hey, sometimes he got first downs.

I meant losman couldnt drop it in a basket, lee would have to be WIDE open more often than not, like I said I want to see the combine