CinemaScope 21:9 LCD TVs Hitting the Market!

ajzepp

So I'm probably going to be moving into an apartment later this year, and I'm trying to plan ahead with regard to my favorite hobby - home theater and audio. I've been using a 1080p projector with a 133" screen for a while, and it's been fantastic. While I haven't ruled out setting up the projector in the apartment, I came across these new Ultra Widescreen LCD sets that are already receiving strong press. Philips has a 56" that just came out (see links below) and Vizio is about to release a 58" version, too.

Now if you're mostly a tv person, then this type of set will have little to no appeal. But for those of us whose priority is film, this is a VERY interesting idea. If the price is right, one of these sets might be a great apartment warming gift to help me get over what will certainly be the painful loss of my projector for movies.

Here's some demo vids for you guys...

Even though I'm a Samsung loyalist when it comes to LCD sets, this Vizio has me much more excited than the Philips:

Vizio Linky

Pay close attention to the way they have the full HD football game in 16x9 paired up with an internet page with scores and such....that is badass!!

Any rumours on pricing yet? I've still got a 27" tube as my primary TV, but if price is compareable to a 16:9, I may just get one of these when my current TV dies.

i cant see pricing even being close to 16:9. i would think it would be at least triple. all these 21:9 tv's are going to be 3d ready with hdmi 1.4, full internet access, ect.......

Any rumours on pricing yet? I've still got a 27" tube as my primary TV, but if price is compareable to a 16:9, I may just get one of these when my current TV dies.

I was a bit optimistic on pricing, but if it's anywhere what Loyal2dagame has found, I guess I can scratch that off my list :thumbsup:

It's okay, though....here's a good back-up plan for us just in case :beer:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/vizios-...ed-wifi-and-wi/

Early adopters usually wind up getting royally screwed.

True...Vizio is known for really insane value though, so I'm hoping maybe they surprise the market and that 58" beauty will be under $3k. A guy can dream, right?

So I'm probably going to be moving into an apartment later this year, and I'm trying to plan ahead with regard to my favorite hobby - home theater and audio. I've been using a 1080p projector with a 133" screen for a while, and it's been fantastic. While I haven't ruled out setting up the projector in the apartment, I came across these new Ultra Widescreen LCD sets that are already receiving strong press. Philips has a 56" that just came out (see links below) and Vizio is about to release a 58" version, too.

If you watch Alfonso Cuaron's Children of Men, there is a 2.35:1/2.39:1 monitor in Clive Owen's appartment in the begining of the film.

If you watch Alfonso Cuaron's Children of Men, there is a 2.35:1/2.39:1 monitor in Clive Owen's appartment in the begining of the film.

No kidding? I enjoyed that film...good catch!

I remember back in the day my buddy and I went to see Total Recall. They had these thin tvs up on the wall just hanging there....we were like, "wow, can you imagine tvs being like THAT!?" I guess this is one of the areas where we really HAVE come a long way over the years, cause home entertainment gear is pretty awesome these days.