Snowmaggeddon

/dev/null

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another inch in Anchorage yesterday. How irritating :worthy: At this rate I may wear out my wisk broom.

You got it easy. Before my wife could go to work this morning. I had to sweep a 3' sun drift from the driveway before she could back her SUV out of the garage. Her 4 wheel drive could not bust thru the drift.

Cute. But a rock flying out of the shoot might be bad.

Eh - it was a 2-stage blower. I've a single-stage electric Toro which is generally suitable for Cincinnati snowfalls. With the single stage jobs, never point'em at something you don't intend to kill. Gravel is flung out of the front at substantial velocity!

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/952394.html

Former Buffalonians now living in Washington, Philadelphia and Baltimore said the two- pronged storm was bad, with two or three feet of snow over the weekend topped of with a foot or two powered by high winds Tuesday and Wednesday.

But the record snowfall totals — 54.9 inches as of Wednesday afternoon for D.C., for example — pale next to Buffalo's average annual snowfall of 97 inches.

It's not pleasant here right now. Friggin snow plows keep plugging my driveway back up.

So what's this I hear from a Buffalo weather guy, The East Coasters will get ANOTHER 12 inches of snow this weekend from another storm. Well that sucks. I could be making a killing$$$ as a molecular repositioner!

I always say when somebody gives you grapefruits, make grape juice.

I'm in the Princeton, NJ area and we got two one foot snow storms this week. Don't want another.

The removal was pretty decent on the roads around where I am. But the first storm's dump was beginning to compress and melt when the new storm hit. That one started with rain and wet sleety snow which dumped about 6 inches overnight. Then more rain sleet for about 4 hours which became heavy wet "good Packin'" snow for another 8-9 inches.

The plows kept coming by, and I dug out of the mess today and at the driveway apron it was 4 feet high of packed ice.

No more snow please. Focus that molecular repositioner if you can to dump the wet stuff about 40 miles due east of here. No one will notice it in the Atlantic Ocean.

Here in Philly, Nutter has asked businesses to remain closed within city limits so they can get to clearing the roads. I have yet to see a plow drive by my house today and we live on one of the busier roads. They closed down 3 of the 4 major roadways (I-76, I-476, and I-276 but kept I-95 open) and people have still been driving on them, unsuccessfully. From what I have been told, these closed roadways are littered with cars that couldn't get through the mess and had to be abandoned.

I just got done shoveling for the 3rd time, and unfortunately, I have no other place to put the snow from my driveway. I have already created a 10 foot snowpile for snow from my driveway, but I can't pile any more snow on there because it won't stay put. If I try to put it anywhere else, it would be on my neighbors property or I would be burying a car that is parked on the street.

Not sure how I am going to get to work tomorrow, especially when I am expecting several roads that I use to travel to not have been plowed.

My rule of thumb is ALWAYS do a neat job the first time you remove the snow... Subsequent removals will go that much easier... And early on... Throw the snow as far as you can! Save room near the edge!

Good luck! I don't ususally pull out my snowblower because it makes one look weak... :D Yet, when the snow starts piling up, it comes in handy to throw the snow as far as poosible. It must suck in parts that normall don't get snow... I wonder what they do in parkinig lots. In areas that get snow, they have those big box like plows and really stack the snow up high with payloaders.

I don't ususally pull out my snowblower because it makes one look weak... :D Yet, when the snow starts piling up, it comes in handy to throw the snow as far as poosible. It must suck in parts that normall don't get snow... I wonder what they do in parking lots. In areas that get snow, they have those big box like plows and really stack the snow up high with payloaders.

I usually use just the shovel for a couple inches since I like the nice crisp edge you get. I will use the snowblower though to cut the banks back on my street. The city for some reason won't do it, and the neighbors across the street won't park all their cars in the driveway. So by part way through the winter, our street goes from 3 cars wide to barely 2. So I'll cut the banks back on my side so people can get through easier when they're parked on the street.

I saw on ABC the other day, DC is using an empty parking lot for snow storage because they don't want to dump it in the river with the salt and whatever that's mixed in it. But the reporter pointed out the parking lot is next to the river anyways.

I saw on ABC the other day, DC is using an empty parking lot for snow storage because they don't want to dump it in the river with the salt and whatever that's mixed in it. But the reporter pointed out the parking lot is next to the river anyways.

A couple of years ago I came up with a $$$ saving idea for the Town of Orchard Park, which of course made to much sence.

When the snow banks on the street corners got to high, the town using a high lift and dump trucks would remove the snow banks and transport the snow a couple of miles and dump it at the highway garage. They drove right past the huge empty parking lots of Ralph Wilson stadium. Well the then town supervisor told me my plan would not work because of possible pollution, road salt. So the stadium lots, which are salted before winter football games and all the other crap/fluids left there after the games were not suitable for snow dumping. By the way the Town Of Orchard Park where the snow was dumped, has a STREAM bordering it's property!!!!

Savings, time, gas, wear and tear of trucks etc...

And there's nowhere to park downtown, for all the snow. That's DC for you. :D

Partly sunny and 67 today. Warmest it has been in several months!

It's funny, I've now lived here for a full year and it seemed downright balmy yesterday. Drove home with the AC on. I guess I'm now officially a San Franciscan.

Oh and BTW to CNN and all the other news outlets regarding all this snow. Snowbody gives a damn.

It's funny, I've now lived here for a full year and it seemed downright balmy yesterday. Drove home with the AC on. I guess I'm now officially a San Franciscan.

Oh and BTW to CNN and all the other news outlets regarding all this snow. Snowbody gives a damn.

Ha ha ha! Not me! I'm in sunny southern Orange County. You'll have to drag me kicking and screaming out of here.