Mike Martz

Fezmid

Mike Martz said:

"He got absolutely blasted," Martz said. "I'm talking about the crown (of the helmet) to the back, to the neck, to the front, to everywhere after throws. Now, that is an issue for me."

But Martz conceded it isn't limited to the Bills. "This has been going on with our quarterback all year long," he said.

Aren't ALL players hit like that? It's not like it's just his QB that people are targeting (although I didn't see many helmet hits; most of the sacks seemed to be Bulger getting his legs wrapped up. But I could be wrong).

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...ght=2%2Cbuffalo

CW

Kelsay did absolutely nail him in the middle of his back with the crown of his helmet just after he threw on one play. After they showed that on a replay I thought we might see a fine for Kelsay. Then again, maybe not because he doesn't have a reputation....

Kelsay did absolutely nail him in the middle of his back with the crown of his helmet just after he threw on one play.  After they showed that on a replay I thought we might see a fine for Kelsay.  Then again, maybe not because he doesn't have a reputation....

130293[/snapback]

i saw that hit. it was NOT a late hit. it was NOT a low hit. it was NOT a blow to the head of the QB. the opnly thing you can say is that he put his forhead through the guy. and last time i checked, thats how they teach you to tackle. head up, and hit through the guy. there is a BIG diffrence between leading with your forhead, and the top of your helmet. one is a good solid text book hit, the other can break your neck and comes with a huge fine.

what hasnt this guy complained about??? how we block, how we hit, how we tackle, how we do security checks......

but NO mention of 3 INTs or 3 huge screw ups on special teams......

i hope i turn on NFL network, to hear the guys just make fun of martz.

i saw that hit. it was NOT a late hit. it was NOT a low hit. it was NOT a blow to the head of the QB. the opnly thing you can say is that he put his forhead through the guy. and last time i checked, thats how they teach you to tackle. head up, and hit through the guy. there is a BIG diffrence between leading with your forhead, and the top of your helmet. one is a good solid text book hit, the other can break your neck and comes with a huge fine.

130379[/snapback]

Tacklers are not supposed to lead with their forehead. They should lead with their facemask.

Leading with the forehead puts a tackler at risk of receiving an axial load or flexion injury to the C-Spine. Leading with the facemask, or more specifically, the nose, greatly eliminates the risk of those injuries. The only exception would be it another defender came over the top of the tackler and hit the tackler in the crown, which could produce a hyper-extension injury (neck rolls -or horsecollars- like Adams and Gash's help reduce those). Having a player come over the top and impacting on the tackler when his head is down (leading with the forehead or crown) produces flexion and axial load injuries, the most common football-related neck injuries - think Dennis Byrd.

Tacklers are not supposed to lead with their forehead.  They should lead with their facemask.

Leading with the forehead puts a tackler at risk of receiving an axial load or flexion injury to the C-Spine.  Leading with the facemask, or more specifically, the nose, greatly eliminates the risk of those injuries.  The only exception would be it another defender came over the top of the tackler and hit the tackler in the crown, which could produce a hyper-extension injury (neck rolls -or horsecollars- like Adams and Gash's help reduce those).  Having a player come over the top and impacting on the tackler when his head is down (leading with the forehead or crown) produces flexion and axial load injuries, the most common football-related neck injuries - think Dennis Byrd.

130394[/snapback]

When I think of neck rolls, I actually think first of Rick Vaive.

I miss hockey.

Guest BillsRebound

I love that an opposing coach is whining about our physical play, especially about plays we weren't called penalties for. Martz's comments give you a nice window into why his teams under-achieve: they are soft.