JD Salinger dead at 91

erynthered

I hated reading "The Catcher in the Rye" in school. Holden Caulfield was a lazy punk who needed a good butt kicking. Boo hoo, life is tough. Get over it.

It's funny that was like my favorite book in high school and then I re-read it recently and had the same exact thought. Holden was everything I hate in people. Either way, it was one of my favorites from childhood and RIP to JD Salinger.

I hated all the books we had to read in school...except for Catcher in the Rye. I completely understood what it was about and what Holden's perspective of life was. I liked the book so much I ended up reading it again on my own time after I got outta school, and that never happened!

I hated all the books we had to read in school...except for Catcher in the Rye. I completely understood what it was about and what Holden's perspective of life was. I liked the book so much I ended up reading it again on my own time after I got outta school, and that never happened!

Did you like the movie version too? :unsure::w00t::w00t:

"You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write 'F*ck you' right under your nose." -Holden Caulfield

RIP JD 1/1/1919 - 1/27/2010

Thanks for the words that have influenced and been enjoyed by so many. They will be with me forever.

I think that you just didn't get the book. Its not saying that Holden was perfect or anything but that he was having a hard time making the adjustment from the child world where everything made sense to him to the world of being an adult where people weren't what they seemed and the world was occupied by phonies.

It was about the transition he had to make from the innocence of youth to the harsh reality of the real world. He wasn't a punk he was just someone who expected more from the world due to the way it was to him as a child.

I think that he (Pasta) is joking... Tongue in cheek... Get with the program, when was Catcher written.

Sorry, I am being to political... But it is funny watching most of the conservatives on this board Saintify Salinger's epic classic.

I think that you just didn't get the book. Its not saying that Holden was perfect or anything but that he was having a hard time making the adjustment from the child world where everything made sense to him to the world of being an adult where people weren't what they seemed and the world was occupied by phonies.

It was about the transition he had to make from the innocence of youth to the harsh reality of the real world. He wasn't a punk he was just someone who expected more from the world due to the way it was to him as a child.

Since I had to read it in high school, I may have taken it too literal, but I didn't like reading about a privileged kid who didn't appreciate the opportunity he was given. I also had to read what became my favorite book, "The Grapes of Wraith", which was just the opposite; people who had little but made the most out of what they had.