state of the union address

I personally can live with don't ask, don't tell. It's better than BO's alternative.

So what does he mean by serving "openly?" Are they all going to stand up and do the YES dance during mess (

)? :lol:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Pelosi suggested it yesterday as a way to get the spending freeze Obama wants through the House.

I am for no spending freeze and repealing don'tr ask dont tell- if we don't have the strongest military, we will be overrun.....we aren't exactly popular.

I understand a gay perosn desire to be able to come out....but I also hope that all the folks pining for dont ask dont tell to go away realize that even HETEROsexual relations in the military will get your ass severely reprimanded.

There's a joke here somewhere.

So what does he mean by serving "openly?" Are they all going to stand up and do the YES dance during mess (
)? :lol:

Body armor will have to come in two models: regular and extra-FABULOUS.

I never really understood what "serve openly" was supposed to mean either. Is there something overtly sexual about military service that gays will just have to participate as gays?

Why not? Worked for the couple of centuries before Billy-bob Clinton.

Worked for whom? Certainly not gay people who wanted to join without hiding a major part of their identity. America is supposed to be a society of inclusion, and so should its military as long as a person is physically able to participate.

By the way, after reading some of the previous posts I'd recommend that you quit it with the "queer" talk. I realize its a word that gay people have "taken back", but it just sounds ugly to me coming from somebody who's trying to use it in a derogatory or deprecating manner. I don't know, just doesn't seem very nice.

Worked for whom? Certainly not gay people who wanted to join without hiding a major part of their identity. America is supposed to be a society of inclusion, and so should its military as long as a person is physically able to participate.

By the way, after reading some of the previous posts I'd recommend that you quit it with the "queer" talk. I realize its a word that gay people have "taken back", but it just sounds ugly to me coming from somebody who's trying to use it in a derogatory or deprecating manner. I don't know, just doesn't seem very nice.

Not that I think Joe's any sort of genius or anything...but given that he has served and you're a college kid, I think I'm giving his opinion more weight than yours on this topic, even though I disagree with him.

I never really understood what "serve openly" was supposed to mean either. Is there something overtly sexual about military service that gays will just have to participate as gays?

Oh, come on. It's not about being allowed to act stereotypically gay, it's about being able to tell your fellow men without fear of discrimination. How would you feel if you could lose your job just by revealing something completely innocent about yourself?

I am for no spending freeze and repealing don'tr ask dont tell- if we don't have the strongest military, we will be overrun.....we aren't exactly popular.

Even the WH rebuffed her request. And rest assured, you don't strike me as a Pelosi-loving liberal.

That's funny on about three different levels. Excellent.

How would you feel if you could lose your job just by revealing something completely innocent about yourself?

You mean like how my company would fire me if they knew I'm bipolar? So I can't be "openly bipolar", because I can't tell anyone something about myself that isn't germane to my job or theirs?

That's quite simply retarded.

Not that I think Joe's any sort of genius or anything...but given that he has served and you're a college kid, I think I'm giving his opinion more weight than yours on this topic, even though I disagree with him.

Don't fall for that logical fallacy...experience has no merit if it doesn't manifest itself by reasonable argument. If Joe told you Irish Americans should be banned because they have the devil's red hair, how much weight would you put into that?

You mean like how my company would fire me if they knew I'm bipolar? So I can't be "openly bipolar", because I can't tell anyone something about myself that isn't germane to my job or theirs?

That's quite simply retarded.

You're bipolar but it doesn't affect your performance at work? I'd definitely argue you should be allowed to be "openly bipolar", if that's the case.

Don't fall for that logical fallacy...experience has no merit if it doesn't manifest itself by reasonable argument. If Joe told you Irish Americans should be banned because they have the devil's red hair, how much weight would you put into that?

Kid, someday when you're all growed up and have accomplished something with your life, you'll realize that experience, even without reasonable argument, carries more merit than a classroom gedankenexperiment. Joe may be a bigoted !@#$, but he also has an understanding of military organization and culture and how gays might (or might not) integrate into it. Your "reasonable argument" amounts to "but it's wrong". You completely lack the necessary perspective to make an informed judgement on it.

And if you were even a quarter as smart as you think you are, you'd accept that as constructive criticism and go out and expand your knowledge on the subject. More likely you'll just insist you're right because "your collije edjumacated" to the point that you can't perceive the intellectual Skinnerian box you've put yourself in. You're not an idiot because you're wrong (point of fact: Joe's wrong, on several levels. I'd counter his "worked for centuries" BS with the buggery part of "rum, buggery, and the lash"). You're an idiot because you can't even bother to be completely informed.

You're bipolar but it doesn't affect your performance at work? I'd definitely argue you should be allowed to be "openly bipolar", if that's the case.

And how, precisely, am I supposed to be "openly bipolar".

That's my point, genius...what does that mean when it's not even relevant? I don't need people to know I'm bipolar, they don't need to know I'm bipolar; I need to do my job, period. "Openness" doesn't begin to enter in to it.

Kid, someday when you're all growed up and have accomplished something with your life, you'll realize that experience, even without reasonable argument, carries more merit than a classroom gedankenexperiment. Joe may be a bigoted !@#$, but he also has an understanding of military organization and culture and how gays might (or might not) integrate into it. Your "reasonable argument" amounts to "but it's wrong". You completely lack the necessary perspective to make an informed judgement on it.

And if you were even a quarter as smart as you think you are, you'd accept that as constructive criticism and go out and expand your knowledge on the subject. More likely you'll just insist you're right because "your collije edjumacated" to the point that you can't perceive the intellectual Skinnerian box you've put yourself in. You're not an idiot because you're wrong (point of fact: Joe's wrong, on several levels. I'd counter his "worked for centuries" BS with the buggery part of "rum, buggery, and the lash"). You're an idiot because you can't even bother to be completely informed.

I agree with you that Joe has a point about the workings of the military, but there should be no type of sexual relations- homo or hetero going on during combat operations, so it should be a wash. If somebody can perform on the battlefield, we should be using them

I agree with you that Joe has a point about the workings of the military, but there should be no type of sexual relations- homo or hetero going on during combat operations, so it should be a wash. If somebody can perform on the battlefield, we should be using them

Whoa, wait a minute. I said Joe has knowledge. I never said he had a point.