Hey, ExiledinIllinois, Dirty Jobs last night...

The Poojer

featured a story about the locks between Superior and Huron and how they have to clean out some of the valves and tunnels...pretty fascinating stuff...I just kind of assumed the water went up and down by magic...never realized the intricacies of the behind the scenes stuff.....if you didn't see it, look for it on rerun or ondemand

Thanks! That is up at the Soo. I will keep a head's up for it!

Most are gravity feed... There are some canals that actually pump water up mountains, I think in Europe??

Actually a diver got killed years ago her on the Illinois. A culvert valve wasn't locked/tagged out properly and they got swept through the culvert... Before my time... Yet, it does stress the importance of proper lock out/tag out. A lot of areas where I work is 480 volts... I hate to be around that when the old rubber insulated wiring (going on 50 years now) decides to blow.

Anyway it will be interesting to see what happens here... The place was built in 1960 and hasn't been dewatered since 1979... I would like to see it dewatered... All the tools and radios that have been dropped in through the years!

Somebody will also have to invent a way to lock boats without letting fish in... I proposed draining the pit first (fish and all) till the boats are sitting on the bottom, then filling with new water! You are only talking an extra 12 or so feet... :thumbsup::beer: