Greggo seriously disses Buffalo

Nah. I don't get worked up when someone in the NFL or among the media say Buffalo is cold. It's not Gregg Williams fault we don't have Brees. If it was up to him and not Donahoe, Brees would be in Buffalo to this day. I'm still going to root for New Orleans.

Williams set the organization back to a rebuilding stage as far as I am concerned. He ran off a number of players with his Lombardi wanna be approach. I am not of fan of his for what he did to the organization and not his slight of the weather. His remarks were just icing on the proverbial cake.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams set the organization back to a rebuilding stage as far as I am concerned. He ran off a number of players with his Lombardi wanna be approach. I am not of fan of his for what he did to the organization and not his slight of the weather. His remarks were just icing on the proverbial cake.

Just curious ... who exactly do you think he ran off?

You can't hate the guy for saying this. He got the shaft from the front office while he was here. Don't get me wrong, Gregg dug his own grave in many ways (airhorns and the like), but he was just not ready to be a HC quite yet. I know I'm not alone, but I've always thought he'd be a great HC down the line some day in his second go-around. I really believe that.

I see nothing in GW that would suggest that he would be a good head coach. The guy was groomed as Gibbs' successor, and even then he was passed over. He strikes me as a decent career coordinator.

There is that, and don't forget that we saw Brees in person in 2002. Williams' defense made him look terrible, and he was benched for Flutie.

Since y'all linked to the NFLNation post, not the AFC East one, I'll cut/paste my reply from there:

Hats off to you for digging up that quote. Obviously you have a better memory that Greggo, :thumbsup:

Edit-That would be the quote that didn't show up here.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/i...passed-on-brees

Direct Quote:

"I'm never going to discount again on who's it with. I've been able to kind of pick and choose now after all these years about where I want to go to, and I really, really, really wanted to draft Drew Brees when I was the head coach of the Buffalo Bills, and thank goodness that didn't happen otherwise I'd still be stuck up there in cold Buffalo. "

----

Greggggggo is my least favorite person ever associated with the Bills.

Yes, even more so than Dickkkkko.

Yes, but sit back and just think about this for a moment.

Did he diss Buffalo, sure.

I, personally, would not want to live in the humid swamp that is Louisiana, but that's me.

But think about two things. 1.) Who decided against Brees? Is that person still in the organization (Modrak, Overdorf)? And, 2.) Can you imagine...if we had gotten Brees...our entire decade would have changed. No wasted 1st round draft picks on Losman and Bledsoe. Or our current plight. Will this make 3 first round draft picks this decade on hopeful QB's?

How would those 2 extra high picks have altered the rest of our roster?

Granted, with Modrak calling the shots, we probably would have had 2 more Mike Williams'.

But to think of a Brees, Jackson, Evans offense....shivers down my spine, man!

Hats off to you for digging up that quote. Obviously you have a better memory that Greggo, :thumbsup:

Edit-That would be the quote that didn't show up here.

Technically, I suppose he could have still wanted to draft Brees to groom even though RJ was set to start. Just thought that quote was amusing ... and to be honest, I wasn't sure what I was going to find when I pulled that issue of Shout! out of the storage box.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/i...passed-on-brees

Direct Quote:

"I'm never going to discount again on who's it with. I've been able to kind of pick and choose now after all these years about where I want to go to, and I really, really, really wanted to draft Drew Brees when I was the head coach of the Buffalo Bills, and thank goodness that didn't happen otherwise I'd still be stuck up there in cold Buffalo. "

----

Greggggggo is my least favorite person ever associated with the Bills.

Yes, even more so than Dickkkkko.

i can never remember if it's redundant that a fat guy "doesn't like fat guys", or if it's ironic?

either way, haven't seen many billboards suggesting ralph bring back the walrus (koo koo kachoo).

Yes, but sit back and just think about this for a moment.

Did he diss Buffalo, sure.

I, personally, would not want to live in the humid swamp that is Louisiana, but that's me.

But think about two things. 1.) Who decided against Brees? Is that person still in the organization (Modrak, Overdorf)? And, 2.) Can you imagine...if we had gotten Brees...our entire decade would have changed. No wasted 1st round draft picks on Losman and Bledsoe. Or our current plight. Will this make 3 first round draft picks this decade on hopeful QB's?

How would those 2 extra high picks have altered the rest of our roster?

Granted, with Modrak calling the shots, we probably would have had 2 more Mike Williams'.

But to think of a Brees, Jackson, Evans offense....shivers down my spine, man!

Nobody really decided "against" Brees. The Bills took Clements in the first, where Brees probably would have been a reach, and were unable to trade back up to the top of Round 2 to get him. Kind of like how Donahoe wanted Roethlisberger in 2004, but there was no way the Steelers were going to let the Bills jump ahead of them, calling every team between 5-10 (Giants took Rivers at 4, they were at 11) to let them know they were willing to beat any trade offers.

Nobody really decided "against" Brees. The Bills took Clements in the first, where Brees probably would have been a reach, and were unable to trade back up to the top of Round 2 to get him. Kind of like how Donahoe wanted Roethlisberger in 2004, but there was no way the Steelers were going to let the Bills jump ahead of them, calling every team between 5-10 (Giants took Rivers at 4, they were at 11) to let them know they were willing to beat any trade offers.

That's not what one gets by reading Williams' statement.

And it should also be noted that this is not the first time that he has uttered this (the last time was the week before this year's Bills/ Saints game).

I may be reading too much into it, but his comments on both counts sound like somebody with more clout decided to go in a different direction.

That's not what one gets by reading Williams' statement.

And it should also be noted that this is not the first time that he has uttered this (the last time was the week before this year's Bills/ Saints game).

I may be reading too much into it, but his comments on both counts sound like somebody with more clout decided to go in a different direction.

Then we read both King's story and this one differently. The precise quote from King's version:

The Bills determined they would use their first-round pick to get Nate Clements, the Ohio State cornerback (they actually traded down a few spots in the first round and still got him), then focus all their attention trying to move up from the 46th overall pick in the second round -- their slot -- to pick near the front of the round. That's where they projected Brees getting picked. So Buffalo began calling around, trying to see if Brees was still there when they picked, could the Bills move up to get him? No team bit. And then, as the second round dawned, San Diego used the 32nd overall pick to select Brees.

"I almost pulled a hamstring in the draft room, jumping up and down because I was so mad,'' said Williams.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...b.week.4/4.html

Edit: Williams did just add the "thank goodness that didn't happen" line, and for that ... yeah, <bleep> him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/i...passed-on-brees Direct Quote: "I'm never going to discount again on who's it with. I've been able to kind of pick and choose now after all these years about where I want to go to, and I really, really, really wanted to draft Drew Brees when I was the head coach of the Buffalo Bills, and thank goodness that didn't happen otherwise I'd still be stuck up there in cold Buffalo. " ---- Greggggggo is my least favorite person ever associated with the Bills. Yes, even more so than Dickkkkko.
He is scum. One of the worst head coaches ever. Worse than Dick.

The guy has always been an utter ass. Still is, apparently. For instance: his Captain Queeg complex while in Washington and the commitment to cheap shotting Favre this past Sunday. I like the Saints in theory, but I must confess that I wouldn't mind seeing Manning completely shredding his schemes.