Bill Polian Question

Ennjay

We've been over the biggest mistake in Bills history (firing Polian) many times here, but I've never heard what happened to him in Carolina. Was he fired? Did he quit? Does anyone on this board know?

Thanks in advance for legitimate answers.

We've been over the biggest mistake in Bills history (firing Polian) many times here, but I've never heard what happened to him in Carolina. Was he fired? Did he quit? Does anyone on this board know?

Jerry Richardson, the owner of the Carolina franchise, didn't want an organizational system in which one person controlled all aspects of the operation. So although Bill Polian was probably the central person in the franchise he didn't have total authority, or at least the amount of control that he preferred. From what I understand he left on good terms and went to a franchise that allowed him to have nearly total authority.

It didn't take him long to build that franchise into one of the most successful franchises in the NFL. On the radio today he stated the obvious that Peyton Manning is certainly one of the primary reasons for the success of the franchise and he also emphasized that the owner, Jim Irsay, was instrumental in giving him the resources and authority to do what was required to make the Colts a model franchise.

Without a doubt the type of ownership support he got in Indianapolis was not going to happen with the shortsighted owner in Buffalo. The best thing that happened to him is getting away from the suffocating Ralph Wilson orbit.

Jerry Richardson, the owner of the Carolina franchise, didn't want an organizational system in which one person controlled all aspects of the operation. So although Bill Polian was probably the central person in the franchise he didn't have total authority, or at least the amount of control that he preferred. From what I understand he left on good terms and went to a franchise that allowed him to have nearly total authority.

It didn't take him long to build that franchise into one of the most successful franchises in the NFL. On the radio today he stated the obvious that Peyton Manning is certainly one of the primary reasons for the success of the franchise and he also emphasized that the owner, Jim Irsay, was instrumental in giving him the resources and authority to do what was required to make the Colts a model franchise.

Without a doubt the type of ownership support he got in Indianapolis was not going to happen with the shortsighted owner in Buffalo. The best thing that happened to him is getting away from the suffocating Ralph Wilson orbit.

The more we rehash this, the more sickening it becomes. Polian could've been here his entire career. If Ralph could've just let him do his thing, we would've been on top for the last 20 years. I don't think we would've ever seen a decline. We would've won Superbowls... we would've had great players. Instead of the joke of a franchise we have right now, we would possibly be regarded as THE franchise. The Patriots dominance would've never happened. If Polian had been entrenched here for these last 20 years, it would've changed everything.

The more we rehash this, the more sickening it becomes. Polian could've been here his entire career. If Ralph could've just let him do his thing, we would've been on top for the last 20 years. I don't think we would've ever seen a decline. We would've won Superbowls... we would've had great players. Instead of the joke of a franchise we have right now, we would possibly be regarded as THE franchise. The Patriots dominance would've never happened. If Polian had been entrenched here for these last 20 years, it would've changed everything.

but then Ralph might haven ended up a few million dollars lighter. and when you have hundreds of millions of dollars, every penny counts :doh:

The funny thing thing there is while the Bills were successful in the late 80's early 90's the Colts, or as many back then called the Dolts were doing terrible every year and much of it was blamed on their owner Jim Irsay........... SENIOR

On the radio today he stated the obvious that Peyton Manning is certainly one of the primary reasons for the success of the franchise and he also emphasized that the owner, Jim Irsay, was instrumental in giving him the resources and authority to do what was required to make the Colts a model franchise.

The funny thing thing there is while the Bills were successful in the late 80's early 90's the Colts, or as many back then called the Dolts were doing terrible every year and much of it was blamed on their owner Jim Irsay........... SENIOR

The owner of the Colts was Robert Irsay, the father of Jim Irsay. Robert Irsay was an obnoxious drunk. He would be on the sidelines and tell the HC to run certain plays. He was the owner who brought in the moving vans in the dead of night to move the furniture and equipment to Indianapolis. Until his son took over the Colts were a joke.

Colts offered him a promotion from just GM, to GM/President of Football Operations. He took it.

According to his Wikipedia page, he left the Panthers after the 2006 season and didn't join the Colts until 2008. Also, he did hold the title of team president with the Panthers. So, neither of these explanations seem correct.

According to his Wikipedia page, he left the Panthers after the 2006 season and didn't join the Colts until 2008. Also, he did hold the title of team president with the Panthers. So, neither of these explanations seem correct.

might want to read that wiki again:

Polian was General Manager of the Panthers from 1994-1996. He tried to create the quickest Super Bowl winner in history, and nearly did so, building a team that went to the NFC Championship game in only its second year of existence. This feat led him to a promotion, becoming not just the GM, but the President of the Indianapolis Colts.

and the dates:

Polian was General Manager of the Panthers from 1994-1996...On December 21, 1997, the Colts played their last game of the season, losing to the Vikings and finishing the season 3-13. The very next day, Polian was hired as President to try and turn the team around.

not saying i was totally correct. but i think im pretty close according to said Wiki page

but then Ralph might haven ended up a few million dollars lighter. and when you have hundreds of millions of dollars, every penny counts :doh:

Yeah, I've never understood the whole penny-pinching thing when you get to that level of wealth. Maybe money itself becomes the obsession rather than the power to use it in some satisfying capacity. I mean, at say, 100 million, what can't Ralph buy that he could actually use? Armani styled Depends undergarments?

Why not spend more for better coaches, players, GMs, etc.? Is it based on principal or some kind of pissing contest - "I'm not going pay that so-and-so top dollar. That's outrageous. Why, in my day...." yada yada yada. Is he cutting off his nose to spite his face?

Maybe ol' Ralph thinks he can take it with him.

The Wiki link I saw shows December 21, 1997 as the hire date with the Colts. I'll assume you're just having a Ralph Wilson moment - or maybe that you are Ralph Wilson.

might want to read that wiki again:

You're right about the president thing. I just saw it under the Panthers heading and got lazy.

But as for the dates, my point was he took a season off. So, while he technically started ten days before 2008, it was after the 2007 season. He sat out the 2007 season. So, something other than a promotion was the reason he left Carolina (which was my original point).

You're right about the president thing. I just saw it under the Panthers heading and got lazy.

But as for the dates, my point was he took a season off. So, while he technically started ten days before 2008, it was after the 2007 season. He sat out the 2007 season. So, something other than a promotion was the reason he left Carolina (which was my original point).

Did he take a season off? I'm honestly asking.

I see where it says he was the Panthers GM from 1994-1996. But lower on the page it also has it listed as 1994-1997. This can always get tricky when we bring in what the NFL considers "years" versus "seasons" and when a particular season ended.

His wiki has plenty to say about why he was pushed out of Buffalo, but nothing about Carolina other than "the Colts offered him a promotion and he took it". I dont think there is anything more to it than that. But if you find anything else, I'll believe it.

As I stated in my original post the owner of the Panthers, Jerry Richardson, did not want to give any one person total authority in the football operation side of the business. It was a professional difference of opinion between the owner (the boss) and himself on what authority he should have.

As I stated in my original post the owner of the Panthers, Jerry Richardson, did not want to give any one person total authority in the football operation side of the business. It was a professional difference of opinion between the owner (the boss) and himself on what authority he should have.

And the Panthers screwed the pooch on this one too. Had Buffalo Bill Polian just been given the power down in Carolina, they surely would have a couple of Super Bowls now too. I mean, hell... 12-4 and NFC Championship game in your 2nd season as a franchise??? Everything Polian touches turns to gold. It's unreal.

I had a dream the other night where Polian steps down sooner rather than later to turn the reigns over to his son. Meanwhile new ownership comes to Buffalo headed up by #12, and they say, "Bill Polian... you have unfinished business in Buffalo... lets do this" and Polian had a few more years left in the tank and took the offer... perhaps to spite Ralph, Littman, et al... perhaps just to finish what he started. We didn't know... but what I do know is we filled the streets. And for the first time since Bledsoe came to Buffalo and we chanted *DON-A-HOE* we chanted our GM's name *POL-I-AN* but alas... YE OLE woke up.

I am sure, however, that if and when this came to fruition, we would probably have a huge rally to welcome back the legendary BUFFALO BILL POLIAN.

I had a dream the other night where Polian steps down sooner rather than later to turn the reigns over to his son. Meanwhile new ownership comes to Buffalo . . . we chanted our GM's name *POL-I-AN* . . . we have a huge rally to welcome back the legendary BUFFALO BILL POLIAN.

We can all still dream I guess. Meanwhile I'm more pessimistic than I think I've ever been.

And the Panthers screwed the pooch on this one too. Had Buffalo Bill Polian just been given the power down in Carolina, they surely would have a couple of Super Bowls now too. I mean, hell... 12-4 and NFC Championship game in your 2nd season as a franchise??? Everything Polian touches turns to gold. It's unreal.

I had a dream the other night where Polian steps down sooner rather than later to turn the reigns over to his son. Meanwhile new ownership comes to Buffalo headed up by #12, and they say, "Bill Polian... you have unfinished business in Buffalo... lets do this" and Polian had a few more years left in the tank and took the offer... perhaps to spite Ralph, Littman, et al... perhaps just to finish what he started. We didn't know... but what I do know is we filled the streets. And for the first time since Bledsoe came to Buffalo and we chanted *DON-A-HOE* we chanted our GM's name *POL-I-AN* but alas... YE OLE woke up.

I am sure, however, that if and when this came to fruition, we would probably have a huge rally to welcome back the legendary BUFFALO BILL POLIAN.

I don't want to rain on your parade but I wouldn't be surprised that when Bill Polian is ready to step down from his full time position he would be retained as a consultant. He would be in a unique situation in that he would still work for an owner who he respects and he would be in position to help his son be a success as his replacement.

While the Bills' organization has been a model of chaos with constant coaching and front office changes the Colts under Polian have had little turnover in the coaching and front office ranks. Working for a supportive owner such as Jim Irsay is clearly much more enjoyable and rewarding than working for a stubborn and meddling fool owner like Ralph.

Yes, the Polian loss was huge.

The 2nd biggest mistake I have seen in my liftetime was getting rid of Todd Collins, who in my view, would have been a pro bowl quarterback with a decent team. And he would still be starting for us.

We gave away the house to get his replacement, Rob Johnson, and then, watched as we have had one quarterback after another, unable to even win a playoff game. And head coach after head coach.

It was the most de-stabilizing move I have ever seen this franchise make in terms of a player.