Pro Bowl has become the NFL’s biggest joke

LGB

I was just going to say, it will be sad if they start calling on Bills players.

Now, if only Shane Lechler would pull out of the Pro Bowl!!!!

Why would Lechler pull out, he finally gets to play for a team that Al Davis doesn't own and the head coach doesn't beat up his assistants. Come to think of it, is it just a coincindence that the two owners in the NFL who went from Hall of Famers to maybe the worst two owners in the NFL probably have the best two punters? I guess when you are too incompetent to put a good team on the field, results in your punter getting alot of practice.

All-Pro and the Pro Bowl are two different things.

I am glad I read this thread to the end, because billsfreak said what I was thinking...

Something that is so rarely true, but I am happy for it to be so in this case. :doh:

If I understand this correctly, the "All-Pro" team is voted by sportswriters, and is a starting 11 on both sides of the ball, with a second team as well, but the distinction between first and second team is clear. There is inevitably some overlap with the Pro Bowl, but since the PB squad includes pretty much a full roster (50 on each side, no?), it is much less exclusive than All-Pro.

What does it mean to make the “Pro Bowl” if the only reason you were “selected” is because you happened to be 7th alternate at QB?

David Garrard" is at least the seventh choice for a roster spot" behind Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer, Matt Schaub, and Vince Young.

Is it still an honor to be selected “All-Pro” when the Pro Bowl members from the two best teams preparing for the Super Bowl are absent and alternates are asked to participate? Why play the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl or even have the exhibition at all? There are now 14 “new” “Pro Bowlers” because of the missing Super Bowl team members.

Okay, if you list seven guys in front of him, that would make Garrard the eighth choice, not the seventh. But three guys make it, which means the fourth choice is the first alternate. So Garrard was the fifth alternate, not the seventh.

And yes, the Pro Bowl has gone from being a joke to being a farce. Wasn't this move supposed to make it more relevant, not less? I used to be the only person in the country who really enjoyed watching the Pro Bowl every year (and only partly ironically!), but I think those days are probably over. David Garrard had kind of a crappy year. Who wants to see him in the Pro Bowl?

Also, it's kind of a different point, but what's up with Kyle Vandenbosch and his 3.5 sacks getting in over Schobel and his 10 sacks? Maybe it's just payback for when Schobel made it with like 2 sacks all year.

Okay, if you list seven guys in front of him, that would make Garrard the eighth choice, not the seventh. But three guys make it, which means the fourth choice is the first alternate. So Garrard was the fifth alternate, not the seventh.

Who can keep count or would want to and that is why it says: "is at least the seventh choice for a roster spot".

So if David Garrard lights it up and wins MVP of the Pro-Bowl, he will still not be considered an "all-pro"?